• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm stumped and frustrated.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
Ignition switch, starter relay/solenoid, ECU, regulator, ballast resistor, Harness seems alright but a new one is on the way, alternator(s). What's left?

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I have the wiring harness off and marked again. It doesn't appear that this thing is hooked up like any diagram I have. Crazy.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Excellent post by greenpeas. I was looking for that, and couldn't find it. There is a quick way to check the alternator for the 70 and newer style. Make sure the heavy red lug is hooked up to the alternator stud. Also make sure your battery is good. 12.6 volts just sitting there no motor running. Measure it at the lug on the alternator and verify the same voltage. Un-hook both field wires. Hook a clip lead from one field to a known good ground. Hook the other to any 12 volt source and it should full field the alternator. (turn on fully) The voltage on the battery (use a voltmeter not the car gauge) should go 13.8 or higher. Do not rev engine as the system is now un-regulated and other equipment may not like a voltage increase. ( MSD box, radio, aftermarket electronics etc). I hope this helps at least with the alternator anyway.

greenpeas

Reaction score
I must admit that I snagged that from DodgeCharger.com. I've used that site frequently over the years as the Chargers are nearly identical to our cars. There is some excellent tech on that website. There is some really good alternator related material in their electrical section.

There's some good info in this thread... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html

Last edited:

rockdog2112

Reaction score
God knows what has been done to this car. I have a big black wire that comes through the firewall and appears to originate in the dash harness. It goes through the harness block but is not associated with any of the actual connectors. This wire is hooked into the mess and goes on to one of the field wires of the alternator. When unplugged from the alternator and the key in the run position, this wire is hot(has power). Is this correct? Should it be sending power to the field on the alternator?

Rocket

Reaction score
What really helped me get my wiring sorted was buying the big (poster size) colored wiring diagram. That thing has made it a lot easier. For some reason I found it very difficult to follow the black and white diagrams (ADD?).

moparmonk

Reaction score
Study the two diagrams hard from greenpeas. What does your car have for a regulator on it? If it is the original style, ( black box in center of firewall with one wire coming out of it with like screw terminals), than the 12 volt wire with key on should go to that. A second connection at the regulator should go to the one field wire on the regulator. This is a mechanical regulator. (basically a wire that heats up and cools depending on voltage and provides a signal to turn on the alternator telling it how much to charge. The 70 and up has a closed loop type solid state that varies the ground to the alternator with no wires that have to heat up. It worked much better. (Used from 70 to 85 or so) That is why both field terminals go to the regulator. Keep digging, you will get it.

Last edited:

rockdog2112

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was the wrong f'ing alternator. The car had been upgraded to a 72 and newer ignition and charging system. I had no Idea that they used different alternators. I bought one for a 69(the year of the car). Last night I decided to check the part#'s and sure as hell they were different between a 69 and a 70. I went to the parts house this afternoon and got one for a 72 that they had in stock(I figured I had nothing to lose), I went home and put it on and everything roared to life. I felt really silly but I had no idea what the previous owner had done to the car. Well, now I know. The car now runs great. I mean really well.

I want to thank you all you guys for taking the time to see me through this. I have learned sooooo much and saved all the diagrams. Thanks again. I really do appreciate the help.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no reason to feel silly. no way you could have known what the PO had done. glad things worked out.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
Thanks BC. It was awesome to blast it around for about three hours tonight. The longest I've driven it since I've owned it. lol. It didn't matter where I took it, people wanted to come and talk about it. It was really fun.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
have you posted pics of your car yet? (even if you have, post some more!)

Back