• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm stumped and frustrated.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
A simple task such as putting on a new alternator has turned into a big fat pain in the ass.Eevery time I go to hook it up, and turn the key to "run", the field wire coming from the ballast resistor wants to melt. It did once. Ive replaced the Ballast resistor, the regulator, the ECU, the starter relay or solenoid?, and the ignition switch and have a new engine compartment harness on the way. On the second alternator by the way. The first new one tested bad. Any ideas?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
What happened to the old alternator? Ifr everything else was OK before, I'd suspect the new one. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. And double check your wires, look for bare wires, melted, etc.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I started getting a discharge reading so I pulled the first one and it tested bad. I got a "new" one and put it on. My field wire going to the ballast resistor immediately melted. I thought the car was going to burn to the ground. Fixed the harness and rehooked up the alt. I noticed that the second I turned the key to "run", the dome light went very dim and that wire got hot fast, so I turned it off. Got another "new"(reman.) and had the exact same issue. Something is going to ground and I can't figure it out.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wires on the back of the alt pinched against the block? maybe a couple of wires melted together? I'd look over the wires from the alt back.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I did. I pulled the entire engine compartment harness off. Put it on the work bench and went through every bit of it. It was already messed up but it worked. I didn't find much and I fixed the areas that looked like they need attention. Nothing definitive.
To quote another member on this site- "I want to punch this car in the face". I think it was Rocket.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
check the wires to the alt gauge maybe?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I don't know if this would cause the problem or not, but did you get a alternator for an outside ballast resistor? I know I had to make sure I got the right one the last time I replaced an alternator.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Beware that some one may have installed a 70 up style alternator too! 69 and back should have 1 field terminal and 70 up has two with a different style regulator. Major source of frustration if you do not understand how both systems work. Simple one you know.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I don't know if this would cause the problem or not, but did you get a alternator for an outside ballast resistor? I know I had to make sure I got the right one the last time I replaced an alternator.

The replacements have been visually exactly like the one I pulled off. It's a two field type. I maybe need to explore this further. I never had a problem(other than it stopped charging) until I tried to replace the alternator. One of my buddies said that if I put my ohm meter on the frame of the alternator and then to the field post, I should have resistance. I don't. The meter goes to zero. Both of the replacements have done this. Could I have gotten to bad alternators in a row? Because of this the hot from the ballast resistor that attaches to it will burn up. That's exactly what's happening.

rockdog2112

Reaction score

Not specifically. They look identical. I'd better check.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
Beware that some one may have installed a 70 up style alternator too! 69 and back should have 1 field terminal and 70 up has two with a different style regulator. Major source of frustration if you do not understand how both systems work. Simple one you know.

It appears that it's all been updated to a 70 or newer. It also has the chrysler electronic ignition.

Rocket

Reaction score
I did the Mad electrical bypass green peas posted and I'm very happy with the results.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I used to work in the parts dept at an IH truck dealership. They handled Delco Remy starters and alternators. There were several times that we would go thru stacks of them to find one good one. Just because a part is new doesn't mean it is good.

Back