• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 1969 GTX better than the 1969 Road Runner?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The GTX's don't seem to bring much over the RR's. They are pretty much the same car but the RR is better known and has a much more dedicated following. If the interior decor group was picked on a R, the difference becomes pretty small. Engines are gravy to swap afterall.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
There is this stupid old guy at my job who always as something to say, When i got my 69' I told him (along with alot of others) that it was a roadrunner if i had said clone they'd probably be more confused. But this guy comes up to me one day and says you know your cars nice but you should of got a gtx they're faster! I ignored him and walked away. A few days later he said something about how fast it is and i respawned (bsing) yea but most people think the gtx is faster, when it's really slower because they were flashier and weight more, And he goes yea roadrunners are faster. :brickwall: Imo If your like me i prefer the roadrunners because they were built to be light and fast. Idc about options... A12's now those are the badass of badass'

sam z

Reaction score
@Musclecar91 - I think your description of the guy as "stupid" was right on from the sounds of it.

Like I said a while back on this thread, you could always tell him that you'd like to take a look at his car
to see how things should be....that oughta shut him up.

railrider

Reaction score
I just bought a roller GTX, maybe I will race my rolling shell 69 Road Runner against the roller 69 GTX and see which is faster of the two! lol (Down Hill of course)

Zapa

Reaction score
"In nineteen hundred and sixty ought nine the plymouth horseless carriage company built this car, and that car being what it was. Way to fantastic for just one name! So they gave it 4 names, the Belvedere, Satellite, Roadrunner, and GTX."
GTX's although they did sometimes get a coat the super fast green, they also had a black stripe added across the bottem which was well known to reduce the horsepower to that of your average orange roadrunner when equipped with the only engine that they shared the 426, then and only then if said green GTX was also equipped the a 426. I suspect the black lower srtipe was one of the first emissions add on's as everyone knows that stripes added above the wheel wells add hp and those below decrease hp. There was also sissified with stuff like Sound deadening Insulation, and rear armrests with the ashtrays facing up in GTX's.
The GTX badges were made with big letters unlike the small and uncapitalized font of the road runner unable to handle wind sheer that resulted from things like 6-packs, or fiberglass hoods so equipping these on a car with such large badges was strongly avoided to the point that they just didnt do it.
GTX stands for "Gooder Than Xroadrunners" but it wasnt always true. Sometimes it stood for notGooder Than Xotherb-bodyplymouthsthatareexactlythesamecaridiot. So in a way, you friend was right.....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Zapa said:
"In nineteen hundred and sixty ought nine the plymouth horseless carriage company built this car, and that car being what it was. Way to fantastic for just one name! So they gave it 4 names, the Belvedere, Satellite, Roadrunner, and GTX."
GTX's although they did sometimes get a coat the super fast green, they also had a black stripe added across the bottem which was well known to reduce the horsepower to that of your average orange roadrunner when equipped with the only engine that they shared the 426, then and only then if said green GTX was also equipped the a 426. I suspect the black lower srtipe was one of the first emissions add on's as everyone knows that stripes added above the wheel wells add hp and those below decrease hp. There was also sissified with stuff like Sound deadening Insulation, and rear armrests with the ashtrays facing up in GTX's.
The GTX badges were made with big letters unlike the small and uncapitalized font of the road runner unable to handle wind sheer that resulted from things like 6-packs, or fiberglass hoods so equipping these on a car with such large badges was strongly avoided to the point that they just didnt do it.
GTX stands for "Gooder Than Xroadrunners" but it wasnt always true. Sometimes it stood for notGooder Than Xotherb-bodyplymouthsthatareexactlythesamecaridiot. So in a way, you friend was right.....

So that's how it happened, I've often wondered about that!! :lmao:

Zapa

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Zapa said:

So that's how it happened, I've often wondered about that!! :lmao:

The only bad thing about being me is, I only know the answers to stupid questions...... :huh: No there are lots of other bad things...just none that apply to this thread :crazy:

Zapa

Reaction score
railrider said:
I just bought a roller GTX, maybe I will race my rolling shell 69 Road Runner against the roller 69 GTX and see which is faster of the two! lol (Down Hill of course)

To make it fair you have to drive both! I don't want any "better driver" variables messing up such an important experiment that could finally end the debate. And video tape it please! If you know anyone with a Super Bee rolling chassis they should take the winner.

glhcarl

Reaction score
The problem with the GTX was there were no POST CAR GTX's! :jester:

sam z

Reaction score
To many options / adornments / excessive crap on GTX's for me. A few years back I thought
the cars were basically the same for the obvious reasons. Not true however. Not for me anyway.
I don't care if the body lines are the same. All the excessive stuff makes the cars unattractive
to me.

1968 or 69 stripped down roadrunner any day. Beauty in the simplicity.

railrider

Reaction score
I am not a fan of wood grain anyway! They should have done Brushed Aluminum on the GTX's :devil:

Back