• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 1969 GTX better than the 1969 Road Runner?

A12

Reaction score
Yikes, don't know what to say in my first post in a long time, I've been busy and a little bummed and confuse since I sold my road runner last Fall and bought a..............well I'll save that for later. But I come back and I see this thread....... :crazy:

First off I've been a road runner guy since I bought a new one that I ordered in the Spring of '69. I ordered a RM23, in F5 GREEN with a black bucket seat interior with a console, Torqueflite, 3.91 Suregrip, AM radio, power steering, A01 light package, Air Grabber and hood stripes, no vinyl roof or wheels just the full wheel covers. This is a photo of in back in '69....and no that's not me :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A12 said:
Yikes, don't know what to say in my first post in a long time, I've been busy and a little bummed and confuse since I sold my road runner last Fall and bought a..............well I'll save that for later. But I come back and I see this thread....... :crazy:

First off I've been a road runner guy since I bought a new one that I ordered in the Spring of '69. I ordered a RM23, in F5 GREEN with a black bucket seat interior with a console, Torqueflite, 3.91 Suregrip, AM radio, power steering, A01 light package, Air Grabber and hood stripes, no vinyl roof or wheels just the full wheel covers. This is a photo of in back in '69....and no that's not me :lol:
You can't stay away that long, things happen around here :lol:

A12

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A12 said:

You can't stay away that long, things happen around here :lol:

Yeah so I see... :lol: I just spent the last ten minutes trying to figure out how to post an image....me of all people couldn't figure that out :brickwall: :lol:

A12

Reaction score
okay back to my usual way too long posts.

So I have cool '69 road runner and I go drag racing it and a little street racing and decide that I may be good at riding a motorcycle (which I had been doing for about four years before I got the road runner) and I get into motocross and then into off-road endurance races and I park the '69 road runner but I'm a ROAD RUNNER GUY FOR LIFE!!! Race dirt bike professionally until the early '80's work and race for a few factories and get the itch to get another 383 road runner and end up with an A12 LOH car, buy another road runner to use as a parts car (no really good reproduction sheetmetal around back in the late '80's/'90's) but I can't cut-up a road runner so I restore it and drive it....from El Paso to Ohio :D

Sorry not a '69 but still a road runner...I'm a ROAD RUNNER GUY :D

A12

Reaction score
Now the sad part, my long time friend of 30-years had a '69 Y4 Spanish Gold GTX that triggered another Y2 Sunfire Yellow GTX, 4-speed, console, power discs, power steering, 3.54 Dana, hood stripes, vinyl roof, numbers matching, all original sheetmetal and the closer.....an 8-Track player :yesnod: :yesnod: :thumbsup: :lmao: to show up that the guy that found it wants to make a deal on a minivan for his wife because my friend is a new car dealer. The trade happens and my friend tells me the deal if I sell my ROAD RUNNER for the Y2 GTX......I fight it and :brickwall: and try to decide if I should sell the ROAD RUNNER and become a GTX guy......well at least until I can finish off my Y4 Spanish Gold A12 ROAD RUNNER..........................what did I do........and then I see this thread :brickwall: :brickwall: :loco: :beep: :beep: :beep:

My.......old man muscle car with way to much bling to be considered fast........but damn it is fast :facepalm:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Best of both worlds a blinged out GTX and an A12, no problems seen from here :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Best of both worlds a blinged out GTX and an A12, no problems seen from here :thumbsup:
I don't see any problems with that either, in fact I'd say that's a good problem to have! :thumbsup: That's a nice lookin' X ya got there!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Sorry not a '69 but still a road runner...I'm a ROAD RUNNER GUY :D

i'm with you brother :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

moparchris

Reaction score
A12 said:
Now the sad part, my long time friend of 30-years had a '69 Y4 Spanish Gold GTX that triggered another Y2 Sunfire Yellow GTX, 4-speed, console, power discs, power steering, 3.54 Dana, hood stripes, vinyl roof, numbers matching, all original sheetmetal and the closer.....an 8-Track player :yesnod: :yesnod: :thumbsup: :lmao: to show up that the guy that found it wants to make a deal on a minivan for his wife because my friend is a new car dealer. The trade happens and my friend tells me the deal if I sell my ROAD RUNNER for the Y2 GTX......I fight it and :brickwall: and try to decide if I should sell the ROAD RUNNER and become a GTX guy......well at least until I can finish off my Y4 Spanish Gold A12 ROAD RUNNER..........................what did I do........and then I see this thread :brickwall: :brickwall: :loco: :beep: :beep: :beep:

My.......old man muscle car with way to much bling to be considered fast........but damn it is fast :facepalm:
NOW THAT IS DAMN SEXY!!!!

A12

Reaction score
Thanks guys but the ROAD RUNNER is still a better truer muscle car than a old man’s muscle car with bling. Other than the base 440 4-bbl engine and the GTX interior with fake wood grain, the grille, trunk finish, and GTX bottom and wheel opening trim (**more on that later) there was nothing else that I can think of that you couldn’t option on a ROAD RUNNER. My ’69 road runner that I ordered back then had almost as much or more in options as the ’69 GTX I now have. My road runner had 3.91 vs. 3.54 but of course it wasn’t a Dana as in the 4-speed GTX, but the GTX doesn’t have the Air Grabber (but was available on the GTX) I didn’t have power disc brakes on the rr but they were available. Both have power steering, both have bucket seats and a console with fake wood grain trim, could have ordered an 8-Track (but I was working part time in a car audio shop and installed an 8-track player in the glove box way before it became the thing to do years later). As I said if not for the GTX trim ** and the base 440 4-bbl there wasn’t anything (or much that I can think of) that you couldn’t option on a road runner back in 1969. So the ‘69 ROAD RUNNER IS BETTER THAN A ’69 GTX!!!! Now add the A12 OPTION to a ’69 ROAD RUNNER that was NOT available on the’69 GTX and you out muscle it hands down. :banana: :banana:

MikeR

A12

Reaction score
** As for '69 GTX bottom trim and wheel opening on a '69 ROAD RUNNER well who said you couldn't have it on a '69 ROAD RUNNER back in the day or better yet on an A12 ROAD RUNNER.......it was on there back in 1970......my Y4 Spanish Gold A12 with GTX bottom trim and wheel opening molding (also a rear mounted antenna, power steering, power "drum" brakes, 8-Track/am player, clock yeah a clock??, double pin stripes, vinyl roof, bumperetts, black bench interior.........) Take that you '69 GTX guys

MikeR

Back