• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just my great luck

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
How on earth did that happen?

The only thing I can think it was too long and the piston hit the head... But I would expect the piston to break first.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Big John said:
How on earth did that happen?

The only thing I can think it was too long and the piston hit the head... But I would expect the piston to break first.
piston hasnt hit anything ?? and it was only rod two ? i guess i'm very lucky it didnt do what the first motor did and break in two and go through the block

joewhite440

Reaction score
I have seen things like that happen with Juice and timing issues.

It sucks, but no one can say you do not drive your cars!!!

Good luck with the repair. Will you replace all rods or what is the plan?

Joe

moparchris

Reaction score
I have seen this before. One of my buddies rebuilt is motor and the machine shop heated the rod with a torch to replace the pistons. The torch heats the rod too much locally and it ruins the hardness of the rods allowing them to bend and twist without provocation. I dont mess with stock rods anymore, who knows where they been. Good job catching it before it windowed your block.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I have seen this before. One of my buddies rebuilt is motor and the machine shop heated the rod with a torch to replace the pistons. The torch heats the rod too much locally and it ruins the hardness of the rods allowing them to bend and twist without provocation. I dont mess with stock rods anymore, who knows where they been. Good job catching it before it windowed your block.
what rods would you suggest ?
just a stock motor and i just got my mr six pac cam , mac recommended .

moparchris

Reaction score
I use a brand called Engine Pro (they make Manleys rods), they make a I beam rod that is light and very strong. I think I pay 399 for eight. 440 Source has I beams as well that are of great quality

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC my H-Beam K1 Technologies rods were only about $450 or so - don't mess around with a set of I-Beams for $400 when the GOOD ones are only a little bit more. Although either are cheaper and better than a set of 40 year old reworked stockers in any case... Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with my buddy to get a set - he's a Wiseco/K1 Distributor.

http://www.k1technologies.com/Portals/0 ... atalog.pdf

Whatever you do, do not grab a set of those Eagle SIR rods off of ebag no matter how tempting the price. One word: JUNK.

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
IIRC my H-Beam K1 Technologies rods were only about $450 or so - don't mess around with a set of I-Beams for $400 when the GOOD ones are only a little bit more. Although either are cheaper and better than a set of 40 year old reworked stockers in any case... Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with my buddy to get a set - he's a Wiseco/K1 Distributor.

http://www.k1technologies.com/Portals/0 ... atalog.pdf

Whatever you do, do not grab a set of those Eagle SIR rods off of ebag no matter how tempting the price. One word: JUNK.
isn't that a little over kill , I drive my cars long distance but i dont really race them or abuse them ? I'm all for un breakable ? but do i need these ? if so sign me up ?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
isn't that a little over kill , I drive my cars long distance but i dont really race them or abuse them ? I'm all for un breakable ? but do i need these ? if so sign me up ?

Stuart:

My point was only that if you're prepared to spend $400 for a set of aftermarket I-Beams then why not pony up the few extra bucks and have a set of the mac-daddies...

I just got off of the phone w/ my buddy. Best he can do on a set of K1's right now is $525 - so I'd cross those off of the list due to price versus your intended usage. He can however hook you up with a comparable set of Scats for $465. I'm not going to ask him about a set of I-Beams - they're not even in his vocabulary...

Look around, see what you can get. Go for the best buy for the money. If you decide that the Scats are the best buy for the money then let me know. If so I'll put you in contact with him directly.

...and don't buy a set of sirs off of the internet... :D

:jester:
Ray

moparchris

Reaction score
I see your point ray, however H-beams are pretty heavy. They work great when you need something that will take 1000 lb/ft for your turbo dart. I-beams are good for the average guy with a set of hyper pistons, you can get a really light assembly that will make for a quick revving street engine and minimize breakage through mass. :cents: Dont make me start talking about cast cranks! :stuckup:

Back