• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just my great luck

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I didn't spot it, but those are six pack rods aren't they...

I've seen a number of those break, but I gotta say I've never seen them twist. If that one is from the same set as the first motor that broke, then its time to scrap that set!

I've never been a fan of those big rods anyway. I think their size hurts their longevity more then helps it.

droptop

Reaction score
I would say this was caused by a hyd. lock. My guess is that this cylinder was filled with gas before attempting to start engine. The other cylinders had already fired when this one was coming up on compression. I have seen this before. :yesnod:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I don't have a lot to add, but I will say, make damn sure you know what happened so you won't be throwing money away and possibly hurting the motor beyond repair. I personally would not feel comfortable with just replacing the one rod.... :cents:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
me either....i would replace them all and even balance the assembly....this way its done right.....my 2 cents

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
me either....i would replace them all and even balance the assembly....this way its done right.....my 2 cents

Sounds like someone who knows! :yesnod:

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I see your point ray, however H-beams are pretty heavy. They work great when you need something that will take 1000 lb/ft for your turbo dart. I-beams are good for the average guy with a set of hyper pistons, you can get a really light assembly that will make for a quick revving street engine and minimize breakage through mass. :cents: Dont make me start talking about cast cranks! :stuckup:
so my plan is to have the crank, block and heads all checked out then put it back together with the new mr six pac cam that came yesterday

what does everone recommend for a good stock new piston & rod combo ?? help

anyone recommend a reasonable priced good tested rod and piston combo for a good stock motor build that i dont race or abuse but that i do drive the hell out of and take for major long distances ??
any suggestions are welcome .

moparstuart

Reaction score
got the new impossible to burn out remflex exhaust gaskets today and the mr six pac cam came in too .
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I emailed Bob and asked if that cam would be a good one for my 383. He said I should stick with my Comp XE275HL-10. I admire his honesty, after all he could have said "yeah, it would be great" and made some $$$. As it is he looked over my build and told me what I have is a better setup. Sounds to me like he's a guy to be trusted.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I guess I should have read the last of page 3, I thought you had a problem with the cam :leave:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I guess I should have read the last of page 3, I thought you had a problem with the cam :leave:
my old cam was great but not for a six pac it just made it fuel to much and had no vacuum , this new one should draw 20 vac .
this will make the six pac be way more adjustable. we are pretty sure the extra fuel combiles with the hi torq started hydro lock my number 2 and twisted the rod .

l

moparchris

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
my old cam was great but not for a six pac it just made it fuel to much and had no vacuum , this new one should draw 20 vac .
this will make the six pac be way more adjustable. we are pretty sure the extra fuel combiles with the hi torq started hydro lock my number 2 and twisted the rod .

l

Stuart, As far as rod/piston combo the KB series hyper pistons are light and strong. I have used a 300hp big shot nitrous system on a motor with them and never broke a piston. They dont recommend it but I tried it on that car because the tune up was spot on. I would by a nice quality I beam rod and put the KB on top of it. The K1s Ray spoke of would be great and economical as well.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:

l

Stuart, As far as rod/piston combo the KB series hyper pistons are light and strong. I have used a 300hp big shot nitrous system on a motor with them and never broke a piston. They dont recommend it but I tried it on that car because the tune up was spot on. I would by a nice quality I beam rod and put the KB on top of it. The K1s Ray spoke of would be great and economical as well.
who and where should i get them ?????

Back