• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest Purchase...

dobie

Reaction score
Yesterday was a pretty good day. I've been wanting a Colt revolver for quite awhile now. I really want a Python, as it's one of my grail guns. Ive bid on a few on gunbroker, but I cant spend past that $1500 mark. Nowadays, though, they're going well over that. So, Ive been eye balling this Detective Special at my local shop for a couple of weeks. I talked them down to $500 otd last night. No box, but the Colt holster was included. According to the serial number, it was made in 1969. Pretty cool, huh? Seems to be in pretty good shape. There's a few blems here and there, but then again, I only paid $500. One day I'd like to send it back to Colt for a re-blue. For now, though, Im gonna enjoy just having a pony finally. I'll shoot it and enjoy it. Looking at the drag line though, it doesnt look like its seen much use. My hunch is that it lived most of it's life in the holster. If any of you guys knows any history on these, feel free to pass it on, or post up your own!

:cheers:

3-36_zpsa19aaf8b.jpg
2-41_zps1ce21e10.jpg
5-28_zps8ec8cc3b.jpg
4-32_zpsaf4e1606.jpg
6-24_zps10388d60.jpg
7-17_zps61fdf2ad.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem as if the trauma to your noggin or your knees is slowing you down too much... :basketcase:

Nice score. As a gun newbie I'd be interested to hear more about what makes the Python command such prices. Please educate me. Thanks!

:jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I like that!

A friend of mine sold a really nice Colt Python with real ivory grips a couple years ago for $1400. I didn't have any toy money at the time or I would own it now.

dobie

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Doesn't seem as if the trauma to your noggin or your knees is slowing you down too much... :basketcase:

Nice score. As a gun newbie I'd be interested to hear more about what makes the Python command such prices. Please educate me. Thanks!

Haha! I actually think that being out yesterday didnt do it any favors, as my leg's on fire today. Didnt sleep much either because of it.

The Python was Colt's flagship revolver. It was completely hand tuned, finished, and assembled. There was no "pick a part from the bin" on these. Everything was hand fitted and matched to one specific gun. The finish on these were spectacular as well. Pythons when new were at least double the going rate vs. Smith's. As such, and along with the time it took to make just one, the production numbers were much lower than comparable revolvers.

dobie

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Me thinks you have to much time to shop :lol: Nice

I know, right? I had even pondered going back to today for something I passed on last night!

dobie

Reaction score
Big John said:
I like that!

A friend of mine sold a really nice Colt Python with real ivory grips a couple years ago for $1400. I didn't have any toy money at the time or I would own it now.

Wow. Any Python for $1400 is a good deal. Someday I'll own one....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of latest purchases... Went to buy some ammo today. Got some, but also ended up buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 Gauge Shotgun. Nothing says "Get the F*** out of my house!" quite like the sound of a pump-action shotgun... :D

Jim S.

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Speaking of latest purchases... Went to buy some ammo today. Got some, but also ended up buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 Gauge Shotgun. Nothing says "Get the F*** out of my house!" quite like the sound of a pump-action shotgun... :D

and that's the nicest of the two sounds it makes.

Looks nice Dobie. i used to own one of those back in the 70s. Never could shoot straight with it so I sold it for $75 which was $25 more than I paid for it. How times (and prices) have changed. Speaking of that, I have a question Dobie. I do not have a dominate eye. If I point at a spot across the room and then alternate closing a eye, my finger jumps equally to each side of it. Makes it hard to shoot a handgun accurately because I have to center the two front sites equally to both sides of the target when looking downrange. Know any tips for that? Other than buying something like Ray's bodyguard with the laser site. ps. those are nice too Ray........

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
So you took VP Bidens recommendation of buy a shotgun :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
[quote="ACME A12":18epo3vh]Speaking of latest purchases... Went to buy some ammo today. Got some, but also ended up buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 Gauge Shotgun. Nothing says "Get the F*** out of my house!" quite like the sound of a pump-action shotgun... :D

Looks nice Dobie. i used to own one of those back in the 70s. Never could shoot straight with it so I sold it for $75 which was $25 more than I paid for it. How times (and prices) have changed. Speaking of that, I have a question Dobie. I do not have a dominate eye. If I point at a spot across the room and then alternate closing a eye, my finger jumps equally to each side of it. Makes it hard to shoot a handgun accurately because I have to center the two front sites equally to both sides of the target when looking downrange. Know any tips for that? Other than buying something like Ray's bodyguard with the laser site. ps. those are nice too Ray........[/quote:18epo3vh]
Get a shotgun :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
So you took VP Bidens recommendation of buy a shotgun :lmao:

:toetap: Um, no, his "guidance" in no way factored into my thought process or purchase... :lol:

I'm actually quite pumped about my latest score...pun intended... :D

I need something else to collect like I need a hole in the head, but I could easily see myself becoming a gun collector. Not the greatest news for you guys, as guess who will be educating me along the way? :lol: :lol: :lol:

dobie

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
dobie said:
Haha! Very nice!!

Do you like those, Steve?

Hey Ray. Sorry I missed your call last night. I was feeling a bit under the weather....I accidentally ate something with walnuts in it yesterday, and let's just say Im allergic to nuts...

870's are pretty much the standard in pump shotguns. They will run forever with minimal care. I can assure you that the vast majority of police shotguns are 870's, and they rarely, if ever, get any special attention or maintenance.

Now, that said, Im a Winchester guy. I have been all my life. I much prefer Winchester 1300's or the older Model 12's. I have 4 1300's and 1 SX2 (autoloader.) All 12 gauge. Unfortunately the 1300's are a thing of the past, but you can still find nice examples fairly cheap.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
They will run forever with minimal care. I can assure you that the vast majority of police shotguns are 870's, and they rarely, if ever, get any special attention or maintenance.

The gun shop that I bought this at has several older gentlemen that just "hang out" there all day sitting at the counter drinking coffee and talking to anyone that wanders in. Kind of like the barbershop or café in an older, smaller town. I was also looking at a Mossberg 500. One of the old guys who is a retired Florida Correctional Facility Officer threw his two cents in. He told me "I carried one of those for over 25 years. It will never fail you, and it will outlast you, your son, and your grandson. Buy the 870." :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
They make the 870 in Ilion, NY. I drive past the factory at least once a month. I've even been through it a couple times, it's a mix of new, high tech machinery in a very, very old building. Watching their robotic arm sanding gun stocks knowing that the floor it sits on is well over 100 years old kind of gives you the contrast.

dobie

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
[quote="ACME A12":yb9pm739]Speaking of latest purchases... Went to buy some ammo today. Got some, but also ended up buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 Gauge Shotgun. Nothing says "Get the F*** out of my house!" quite like the sound of a pump-action shotgun... :D

Looks nice Dobie. i used to own one of those back in the 70s. Never could shoot straight with it so I sold it for $75 which was $25 more than I paid for it. How times (and prices) have changed. Speaking of that, I have a question Dobie. I do not have a dominate eye. If I point at a spot across the room and then alternate closing a eye, my finger jumps equally to each side of it. Makes it hard to shoot a handgun accurately because I have to center the two front sites equally to both sides of the target when looking downrange. Know any tips for that? Other than buying something like Ray's bodyguard with the laser site. ps. those are nice too Ray........[/quote:yb9pm739]

Sorry for the delay, Jim. You know, I really don't know too much about the whole eye dominance thing. There's been research on the topic for sure, but I cant point you in any one certain direction. Have you tried shooting with both eyes open by chance?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
Jim S. said:
[quote="ACME A12":1ygi4unx]Speaking of latest purchases... Went to buy some ammo today. Got some, but also ended up buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 Gauge Shotgun. Nothing says "Get the F*** out of my house!" quite like the sound of a pump-action shotgun... :D

Looks nice Dobie. i used to own one of those back in the 70s. Never could shoot straight with it so I sold it for $75 which was $25 more than I paid for it. How times (and prices) have changed. Speaking of that, I have a question Dobie. I do not have a dominate eye. If I point at a spot across the room and then alternate closing a eye, my finger jumps equally to each side of it. Makes it hard to shoot a handgun accurately because I have to center the two front sites equally to both sides of the target when looking downrange. Know any tips for that? Other than buying something like Ray's bodyguard with the laser site. ps. those are nice too Ray........

Sorry for the delay, Jim. You know, I really don't know too much about the whole eye dominance thing. There's been research on the topic for sure, but I cant point you in any one certain direction. Have you tried shooting with both eyes open by chance?[/quote:1ygi4unx]
I was going to suggest that but I opted to be a smart ass instead :yesnod:

Back