• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Melting B&M shifter cable

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Throw away the B&M shit and buy a Sheetah shifter.
Shifts 1000% better.firmer and no melting issues from 2010.

I don't have any issues with the shifter, it's simply the cable and how/where it's routed.

I know the GM/Ford Cheetah shifters routes from the rear, but doesn't the Mopar version route from the front?

jays69bird

Reaction score
Never been a huge fan of the B&M shifter's,but if you use a header wrap and maybe a sleeve over that it should protect it.

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
I actually found the issue....

The Hooker Super Comps have a split flange and a slip fit tube that separates in order to allow the torsion bars to be routed right through the piping....

hok-5210-1hkr.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-5210-1hkr?seid=srese1&gclid=CKest5nH8r0CFZJj7Aod12QAig

I had put muffler paste the last time I put it together when the starter went kaput, but the black soot around it indicates that it's leaking at the slip joint :upset:

At idle, there's no leak, but I'm sure it does at WOT.

Thing is, the direction of the leak goes forward and is aimed directly at the cable :sour:

That's why it melted in a spot that's nowhere near the pipes :05.18-flustered:

I don't want to clamp it down hard or weld it since it would be a PITA to remove if I needed to, so I picked up one of these, wrapped it and clamped it right over the slip joint

orly_540050.jpg

Just went for a spin and all is good again :cool:

Thinking about bolting on a set of dumps and running her with open headers for a bit :tennis:

Back