• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More sending unit fun!

Jim S.

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly for Gold or Silver is how I was taught this...

I remember after learning how to read resistor codes when I was in High School just how impressed I was that my father had made a successful career of electronics in the Air Force - ground radar/inertial navigation/avionics age - as the man is color blind! Pretty good stuff right there... :thumbsup:

:jester:

I'm still heavily involved in electronics. From repairing old guitar tube amps, to designing and building UHF and Microwave stripline circuit boards for work. Ray, that was impressive with your Dad being color blind. Let alone the resistors, all the stinking wires the Air Force used in cannon plugs, wire wraps, etc. were all color coded. I bet your Dad would be familiar with my AFSC. It might have even been the same. If not it was close. I worked F-15 Avionics/Automatic/AGE which was 326X0. We repaired and maintained the big old McDonnell Douglas test stations that tested the "line replaceable units" off the F-15. HUDs, Computer, Microwave, Inertial guidance, etc. I'm surprised that I never crossed paths with your Dad in the 70s. Maybe I did and do not remember. As George will tell you, there was a little "fog" involved at that time in the A.F. :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I'm still heavily involved in electronics. From repairing old guitar tube amps, to designing and building UHF and Microwave stripline circuit boards for work. Ray, that was impressive with your Dad being color blind. Let alone the resistors, all the stinking wires the Air Force used in cannon plugs, wire wraps, etc. were all color coded. I bet your Dad would be familiar with my AFSC. It might have even been the same. If not it was close. I worked F-15 Avionics/Automatic/AGE which was 326X0. We repaired and maintained the big old McDonnell Douglas test stations that tested the "line replaceable units" off the F-15. HUDs, Computer, Microwave, Inertial guidance, etc. I'm surprised that I never crossed paths with your Dad in the 70s. Maybe I did and do not remember. As George will tell you, there was a little "fog" involved at that time in the A.F. :lol:

Interesting stuff, Jim. I'll have to ask my Dad about his AFSCs...

Pretty sure he missed the "fog" as he's always been a T-Totaler (his dad was an alcoholic and you know how the pendulum swings...) so most of our clashes when I was a teen revolved around ths fact... :lol:

Ray

Jim S.

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, Jim. I'll have to ask my Dad about his AFSCs...

Pretty sure he missed the "fog" as he's always been a T-Totaler (his dad was an alcoholic and you know how the pendulum swings...) so most of our clashes when I was a teen revolved around ths fact... :lol:

Yes, do that sometime if you remember. It means "Air Force Specialty Code" but, you probably knew that........Jim

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I'm still heavily involved in electronics. From repairing old guitar tube amps, to designing and building UHF and Microwave stripline circuit boards for work.

I used to build punch and die sets for stripline circuits back in my toolmaker days.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Yes, do that sometime if you remember. It means "Air Force Specialty Code" but, you probably knew that........Jim

Jim - here's an update for you. Spoke to my dad today and we went through his old AFSCs (yes, I did know that from both his days in the Air Force and my own) as best he could remember. He retired from the USAF in 1981 so we were digging deep in the old memory banks...

303X7 - Ground Radar. First AFSC when he joined in 1956.
305X_ - Ground Radar - Computer Associate. Retrained into this a few years later. Couldn't remember the exact AFSC.
328X4 - Inertial Nav & Doppler Radar. Said he retrained into this field after they took away their Pro Pay in Ground Radar. He couldn't wait to get out after he found out that not everyone in the Air Force worked 35 hour weeks like they did in Ground Radar. :lol: Spent a lot of time on the flightline and has the hearing loss to prove it...
326X9 - Avionics Age. May very well have been 326X0 (32690) as he mentioned having a 9 Level so he might have the 9 confused with the last digit.

Like I said, these might be a tad off as he had other things on his mind when we spoke. He had called me to tell me that my aunt (his older sister) had just passed away today. I'll hit him up again when he's got less on his plate - although he seemed to enjoy this jaunt down memory lane. Probably a nice little distraction today.

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
OK, I know I'll get flamed for getting this back on track but here's an update. After all the fun we had trying to figure out the problem, it's no better now then it was before. For ha, ha's I put the original voltage regular back in the car, then last Sunday I took the car on a fall cruise, 230 miles round trip! The gas gauge showed full on the whole trip, it never moved! :brickwall: The gas mileage was better too, at least on part of the trip. The first 70 miles or so it was only 10, but then it jumped to 13.5. I double checked the numbers and that was right. But again the gas gauge still is not right and that is with an original unit in the car. What gets me with this is that we tested it before we put it in the tank and it was fairly close to accurate, but it doesn't work while installed in the car. Could the gauge itself be the problem and not the sending unit? I guess I'll just have to get used to putting gas in every 150 miles or so!

Jim S.

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Jim S.":18hou4ju]Yes, do that sometime if you remember. It means "Air Force Specialty Code" but, you probably knew that........Jim

Jim - here's an update for you. Spoke to my dad today and we went through his old AFSCs (yes, I did know that from both his days in the Air Force and my own) as best he could remember. He retired from the USAF in 1981 so we were digging deep in the old memory banks...

303X7 - Ground Radar. First AFSC when he joined in 1956.
305X_ - Ground Radar - Computer Associate. Retrained into this a few years later. Couldn't remember the exact AFSC.
328X4 - Inertial Nav & Doppler Radar. Said he retrained into this field after they took away their Pro Pay in Ground Radar. He couldn't wait to get out after he found out that not everyone in the Air Force worked 35 hour weeks like they did in Ground Radar. :lol: Spent a lot of time on the flightline and has the hearing loss to prove it...
326X9 - Avionics Age. May very well have been 326X0 (32690) as he mentioned having a 9 Level so he might have the 9 confused with the last digit.

Like I said, these might be a tad off as he had other things on his mind when we spoke. He had called me to tell me that my aunt (his older sister) had just passed away today. I'll hit him up again when he's got less on his plate - although he seemed to enjoy this jaunt down memory lane. Probably a nice little distraction today.

Ray[/quote:18hou4ju]

Sorry about your Aunt.
Yes I agree, I bet it was 32690. I made it to 32670 after 3 1/2 years. From what I remember, you had to be at least a staff sergeant to achieve a skill level of "9". That is as high as it goes. For me to make staff sgt. I would have had to stay in another 5 years because they were so backed up at the time.
I'm surprised that I did not see your Dad because 326X0's went to the same bases and we were in the same time. Maybe I did and just do not remember. Interesting stuff. Thanks for asking him.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
OK, I know I'll get flamed for getting this back on track but here's an update.

Consider yourself flamed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with these guys on checking out the gauge in light of your bench testing...

Back