• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2nd Roadrunner project

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Bobby I have a spring relocation kit for my Valiant just sitting here waiting for you to install :basketcase:

bobbyb

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Bobby I have a spring relocation kit for my Valiant just sitting here waiting for you to install :basketcase:
I think the Valiant is easier to install on the back hanger, but I would like to install mine different from the instructions. I'm going to talk to a local guy who knows more than I do to see if it will work. I want to drill a hole thourgh the frame and weld the sleeve in that as opposed to welding the sleeve on the bottom of the frame with gussets. Plus I'm thinking the hangers will be hanging to low.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Here is some rocker panel repair. The pics are of the drivers side, but I had to do the same repair on the passenger side.

rockerfix4.jpg

rockerfix3.jpg

rockerfix2.jpg

bobbyb

Reaction score
Ok, I got my rear leaf spring hangers in and I did do it a little different than the instructions. You'll see by the pics, but the instructions said to weld the sleeve on the bottom of the frame which would have made it very low.

rear leafs1.jpg

bobbyb

Reaction score
I notched the frame and cut it on a angle to have room for the hanger to move. I installed the springs to see if its gonna work.

rear leafs2.jpg

bobbyb

Reaction score
I welded in the sleeve inside the frame with washers on both sides and boxed in the frame. Its pretty much done for now except I need to move the perches on the rear end housing.

rear leafs3.jpg

bobbyb

Reaction score
Its mostly rust encapsulator and primer and I'm leaving undercoating in the wheel wells. Next is the engine compartment and I'm going to try and make it look a little better than stock, filling holes, and smoothing it out in places.

bottom2.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its coming along nicely, I see you added sub frame connectors any other mods?

bobbyb

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Its coming along nicely, I see you added sub frame connectors any other mods?
Just the frame connectors and spring relocation kit. I haven't decided to add torque boxes yet, cause I don't know if I need them? The car will have 451 (original motor stored), auto trans, and 3.91 gears. Mostly a sreet car, but may take it to the track to see how fast she'll go.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
lookin good :thumbsup: I like the idea about smoothing out the engine bay. was at a show a while back. guy had a '70 Dart. Looked really clean under the hood. but couldn't put my finger on just whay it looked so good. It was sitting next to another Dart, then we figured it out. The first car had every spot weld filled. Looked fantastic.

bobbyb

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
nice job.......what are you using for a welding machine....stick/mig/tig??
I have a mig welder and Its the only welding I know how to do. If I have any critical parts that need welding I have friend who is welder by trade I let him do it, like my spring perches need to be moved and welded so I'll get him to do that.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
bobbyb said:
Here is some rocker panel repair. The pics are of the drivers side, but I had to do the same repair on the passenger side.
ON YOU WELDING MACHINE DOOR THERE SHOULD BE A HEAT RANGE CHART FOR METAL GAUGE .....LOOKING AT YOUR WELDS YOU NEED MORE VOLTS OR LESS WIRE FEED SPEED TO FLATTEN YOUR TACK WELDS..THE TACKS LOOKS TOO COLD....LITTLE 1/4 INCH TACKS EVERY SAY 6 INCHES APART COOLING THEM WITH A WET RAG SO IT DOESNT DISTORT THE METAL......KEEP DOING THIS ALL THE WAY AROUND TILL ITS 100 PERCENT WELDED......ITS ALL PRACTICE
I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU......GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bobbyb

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
bobbyb said:
ON YOU WELDING MACHINE DOOR THERE SHOULD BE A HEAT RANGE CHART FOR METAL GAUGE .....LOOKING AT YOUR WELDS YOU NEED MORE VOLTS OR LESS WIRE FEED SPEED TO FLATTEN YOUR TACK WELDS..THE TACKS LOOKS TOO COLD....LITTLE 1/4 INCH TACKS EVERY SAY 6 INCHES APART COOLING THEM WITH A WET RAG SO IT DOESNT DISTORT THE METAL......KEEP DOING THIS ALL THE WAY AROUND TILL ITS 100 PERCENT WELDED......ITS ALL PRACTICE
I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU......GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yea, sometimes I feel like I'm doing pretty good on the welding then other times its like WTH. Its a learning experience and I can use all the help I can get.

Back