• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My low buck convertible project

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my personal experence is don't sweet too much the clean factor of a paint area. obvisously you don't want a dust clud like the one that follows Pig Pen(Charlie Brown), but two of the cars I had painted were crappy old garages. we swept them out best as possible, and watered down the floor. got a minimum amout of dirt(and bugs). Now if you're going for a show car then you'll want to be more pickey.

moparchris

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Thanks, I'm not to interested in shooting it myself mainly because of the dirt factory that my garage is, I just don't think I can get it clean enough, but it may come to that we will see. Chris those photos were in direct sun so it does look a little light and that paint does not cover well but I got four coats of base on those parts, it looks alot darker in the garage but it is the right rayllye green and had it cross checked with the 68 chevy green same formula. Either way an improvement for me on the Y2 yellow or being a slime lime on a sixtynine as it was.

Anyways i have some leaks to chase down, I think I have a coolant leak out of a mainfold bolt or stud and I think i might need a nylon washer for the drain plug (I hope that's what it is).
Sweet!! :thumbsup: Its gonna look great, it looks like F6 for some reason I had it in my head that you were going FJ5. :loco:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that school is starting I now have some time to myself in the mornings and can get back to car stuff again. I finished the ragtop in the end of May, I ended up painting it myself as my budget decreased due to buying another car. The paint job was kind of a disaster mainly due to how many coats it needed and my overlapping at the ends of the body panels, I ended up with some mottling too. if I could do over I would had single staged a close solid color to it wet sanded that down then do maybe 3-coats of base walking from end to end and clear it. It does look okay in the sun and I've gotten alot of positive comments on it and most people don't seem to see the flaws in it that I do. Bottom line is I'm going to leave it. We have been driving it here and there all summer with no troubles at all having a blast with it. Maybe I will try and respray it in five or ten years but for now I'm okay with it even though I was hoping for better, Live and learn.

1010.jpg

1008.jpg

1012.jpg

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
fender tag photo for my number crunching friends :cheers:

100_1016.jpg

best photo of project: my son thinking he was working the cherry picker

100_0579.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
The car's lookin' good! :thumbsup: Does that tag say that the car is the first one built?? :jester:

John69RR

Reaction score
Looks Great!! :cool: I see your son is a Clay Matthews fan. His dad was a great player for the Browns.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words, on the jersey...that is the work of my wife a hard core football fan.

Back