• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nearly had roast bird for dinner

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My :cents:

Halon is nice and clean, but it also is just a gas and can blow away. Put out a fire, the Halon blows away and the fire can start again. Its also expensive and I don't know if you can even get it anymore. Dry chemical stays in place, relatively inexpensive and works well. I've dumped dry chemical extinguishers a couple times and it does make a mess, but it can be cleaned up before it starts to corrode anything.

Perhaps one of our Fire Fighters can chime in with some real world experience.

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Big John said:
My :cents:

Halon is nice and clean, but it also is just a gas and can blow away. Put out a fire, the Halon blows away and the fire can start again. Its also expensive and I don't know if you can even get it anymore. Dry chemical stays in place, relatively inexpensive and works well. I've dumped dry chemical extinguishers a couple times and it does make a mess, but it can be cleaned up before it starts to corrode anything.

Perhaps one of our Fire Fighters can chime in with some real world experience.
It seems like you can still get Halon extinguishers. My guess is that they recycle this gas as to qualify to be able to sell it. http://www.stableenergies.com/25lbHalon-Red-Amerex-Brand/productinfo/EXT1/

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
[

yeah...but it takes alot outta ya......
Just shed a tear there. Is this something you had to go through?[/quote]

yeah, 2007

Big John

Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
It seems like you can still get Halon extinguishers. My guess is that they recycle this gas as to qualify to be able to sell it. http://www.stableenergies.com/25lbHalon-Red-Amerex-Brand/productinfo/EXT1/

Ouch.. $170. You can buy 8 or 9 dry chemicals for that!

Which brings up a good point.... Better to spend $100 and have one in your car, in the truck, a bigger one in your garage, one in the kitchen then to spend $170 for one extinguisher that's out in your car.... AND... are you gonna grab and dump your $170 worth of Halon on some stranger's car even if its the right thing to do?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
ArcDevilz said:

Which brings up a good point.... Better to spend $100 and have one in your car, in the truck, a bigger one in your garage, one in the kitchen then to spend $170 for one extinguisher that's out in your car.... AND... are you gonna grab and dump your $170 worth of Halon on some stranger's car even if its the right thing to do?
You have a good point, your most likely to use it on someone else

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
ArcDevilz said:

You have a good point, your most likely to use it on someone else
That's cold blooded :lol: If its a Ford, let it burn :lol: I did find a $110 one at a aircraft site. It is 1211-1301 Halon, whatever that means? http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pspages/rta400.php

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think the 1301 is for commercial use, stove hoods and phone equipment and alike.

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Big John said:
are you gonna grab and dump your $170 worth of Halon on some stranger's car even if its the right thing to do?

I would. As much as I want to think all people are bad there are still some good ones out there and karma serves a purpose.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
Big John said:
ArcDevilz said:
. are you gonna grab and dump your $170 worth of Halon on some stranger's car even if its the right thing to do?
I would. As much as I want to think all people are bad there are still some good ones out there and karma serves a purpose.
If you had an ABC next to a Halon which would you grab, the ABC will put the fire out for a 1/8th the cost. You can save your karma at a Walmart price :D

Big John

Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
Big John said:
are you gonna grab and dump your $170 worth of Halon on some stranger's car even if its the right thing to do?

Don't get me wrong, I would too.... but.... its still something to consider that you are more likely to have to use it on someone else's car then you are your own car... and that car might be some stranger's Honda rather then your buddy's show car.

IMHO, an extinguisher that you will not hesitate to use in any circumstances is always the better one to have.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I like the Halon idea but in a breezy condition I'm not sure it would work.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn. You guys are gonna make me go buy some fire extinguishers today... :lol:

I have them in the garage - but nothing portable for the cars. Been thinking about it ever since the last "Forced Ronnie Sox Impersonation-damn the throttle is stuck again-nice fireworks display-why is the car so loud-my car's new name is Puff the Magic Dragon" episode. If the gas tank had started leaking just a couple of weeks before it did then Dave and I might have a lot more in common than a love of old Road Runners and T-Shirts that bitch-slap ricers... :eek:

:jester:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Damn. You guys are gonna make me go buy some fire extinguishers today... :lol:

I have them in the garage - but nothing portable for the cars. Been thinking about it ever since the last "Forced Ronnie Sox Impersonation-damn the throttle is stuck again-nice fireworks display-why is the car so loud-my car's new name is Puff the Magic Dragon" episode. If the gas tank had started leaking just a couple of weeks before it did then Dave and I might have a lot more in common than a love of old Road Runners and T-Shirts that bitch-slap ricers... :eek:

Home Depot and Lowes have a nice assortment for home use. Do some research yourself, but the basics are A is for wood and paper, B is for liquids like gas, and C is for electrical fires. The number ahead of the letter is the number of square feet it will extinguish. Example, 2A10BC is rated for 2 square feet of wood, 10 square feet of liguid or electrical.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I bought a 5BC one for like $11. Walmart, Fleet Farm, Home depot, etc. It fits in the glove box and sprays Sodium Bicarbonate which should really make a mess. Next I'll have to get a fire resistant suit, gloves and helmet. :crazy:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had to take a fire extinguisher safety course at work today...timing is everything... :lol:

Back