• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 69 RR Body

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First Welcome aboard. I don't know if there would be enough demand to cover the cost. Mopar just doesn't have the following of a Chevy :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Probably have greater chance of commercial success (and opportunity to recoup your initial investment) with the '70 body... :cents:

ACME

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
You'd see an E body first, then a 68/69 charger, money is in what is popular with the general public

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
wow i cant believe what you guys are saying.....the 69 roadrunner is the hottest car on the planet....build it and they will buy it :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

glhcarl

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Welcome.

Probably have greater chance of commercial success (and opportunity to recoup your initial investment) with the '70 body... :cents:

ACME
Why, IMO the 70 RR is ugly. They look heavy and boxy.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site!
I wouldn't call the '70 ugly. It's just not as well balanced as the '68-'69s. The right color,wheels it's a sharp car no doubt.

mcmopar

Reaction score
In all honesty I like the 1970 exterior styling the best of the 68-70 body styles. To me its a lot cleaner looking. No creases on the fenders, no funky protrusions at the tail lights, a cleaner tail light layout, a great grille with the two fog/driving lamps down low and the dust trail decal is the bomb! Plus I really like the bulged hood with the pop up Air Grabber. In my opinion, 1970 was the apex of muscle car styling - from all makes. 1969 was probably the apex in terms of horsepower output, though.
I do, however, like the '69 interior layout and appointments much better. I've never been a fan of the Pistol Grip shifter (GASP! blasphemy I know) and the plastic panels on the dash and elsewhere just didn't look as nice as the 69 interior in my opinion. I also prefer the '69 seat and headrest treatment better than the high back seat in the '70's.
A Plum Crazy '70 road runner with a black vinyl top, Go Wing, 15" Rallyes with some Goodyear rwl tires, a 440-6 or Hemi / 4 speed combo (with the '69 ball type shifter handle) and a black or white '69 interior would be my dream road runner.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I prefer the 69, I love the tail lights and I do like the fender lines. But face it, most of the general public goes for the 70 :huh:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the '70s ugly either. I think they were just the next step in the styling evolution from the great lines of both the '68s and '69s. And yes, I do think that the small changes they made on the '69s made it the best styling of those first 3 years! Bob, that comment about people prefering the '70s got me thinking and around here anyhow, I'd have to say it's a fairly even split between those 3 years.

droptop

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
most of the general public goes for the 70 :huh:

This general public likes the '69 best. I've had them all, and I think the rally dash in the '70 looks cheap. The bucket seats are not as nice as the '69s, and the backs break very easily on them. They all ride and drive the same as they are on the same platform. But the best part of the '69 over the '70 is the creases on the fenders and the pop up air grabber. :cents:

AMD almost makes a complete car now. When I talked to Mark Headrick last year at AMD, he told me that was his goal.

Does anyone know the production numbers of the 69 and 70 Road Runners? That should tell what the "general public" goes for.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
According to my Dodge and Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book;
'69 Roadrunner
2 dr coupe 32,717
2 dr hardtop 47,365
converts 2,027

total 82,109

'70 Roadrunner
2dr coupe 14,744
2dr hardtop 20,899
converts 684
Superbirds 2,783*

total 39,110
*Other quoted production numbers

droptop

Reaction score
It looks like the general public preferred the '69 over the '70, 2 to 1. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Reaction score
Thank You for the welcome. I am 55 years young.I have had both a 70 and 69. The 69 was my first RR. I bought it from a Cop back in 74.It had 29,000 miles on it. It was a post car.It had manual steering,as well as manual stomp on the brakes.It was Black on Black,4 spd,bench seat.No air grabber,no hood strips.The car was beautiful when clean.Oh by the way,it had a 383. 323 gears. I still have the et slips when I would take it too Freemont Drag Strip. The best I did was 14.98@ 98 mph.I know it was pure stock,but I knew it could do better with a better carb,and someone who knew how to tune proper.I was a young bum who did not have the bucks to do it right.
I joined a all MOPAR Car Club in 74.It was called Automatic MOPAR.The original club founders all had torqueflites.I like 4 speeds to this day.Yes an auto is quicker and easier for most,but I took pride in quick gear changes. The first thing I did was to remove the stock brown shifter ball in exchange for a Hurst T Handle.Yea, that was cool.Much better than the plastic pistol grip on the 70.Back to the Car Club.We had about a dozen real clean cars. Mine was the slowest.Most of the guys were older than I,they had the money. We had a factory 440 Dart,69 Hemi RR,Superbee,Challengers,etc.But my RR was one of the best looking,simply because of the color.I got kicked out of the club .All I wanted to do was cruise and bang gears.They didn't.
I had that car for 4 years.I still have dreams of that car. I wish I never sold it.I bought a 70 RR a year later.It was a b-5 blue auto on the column.It was sharp ,but I never felt the same as I did the 69.I have not owned any car since that 70 RR. Its been 31 years now.
I have lots of stories. Lets build 69 bodies !!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Better double check that math, Steve.

33k + 21K + 2K does not equal 82K...although I seem to recall seeing this number (or one close to it) as the accepted overall production number...

Not sure that you can use the actual production figures from 40 years ago as substantiation for which year is currently more popular or would be a more sound investment for tooling. My opinion on the matter is more a "seat of the pants" feeling from talking to an awful lot of MoPar and or RR enthusiasts. Not my personal opinion mind you; you all know what I own and why. The package cars aside, it's hard to argue with the high impact color palate, side scoops, pop-up Air Grabber, Rallye Dash, Pistol Grip, and menacing looks of the '70 as having greater overall mass appeal. Using a website dedicated to '69 RRs as a measuring stick will only yield the predictable biased results from an opinon poll that it should by all rights generate. My answer was in response to the business acumen side of the equation; not my personal preference. If you ask the question "was George Washington the best President?" on the George Washington fan website you already know the response that will be provided by the majority of respondents before you even ask the question.

Roadcuda said:
According to my Dodge and Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book;
'69 Roadrunner
2 dr coupe 32,717
2 dr hardtop 20,899
converts 2,027

total 82,109

'70 Roadrunner
2dr coupe 14,744
2dr hardtop 20,899
converts 684
Superbirds 2,783*

total 39,110
*Other quoted production numbers

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
droptop said:
It looks like the general public preferred the '69 over the '70, 2 to 1. :banana: :banana: :banana:
yes....hello to the general public......1969.....for all you guys that just love the 70 roadrunner why are you driving around in 69s??? :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
droptop said:
yes....hello to the general public......1969.....for all you guys that just love the 70 roadrunner why are you driving around in 69s??? :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

And what about your '68...??? :lol:

Back