• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 69 RR Body

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm going by what I hear today. I think the restyled GM and Ford products hurt the 70 runner sales, look how many red with black stripe SSs are out there :jester:

glhcarl

Reaction score
The 1970 version of all the b-bodys were designed to for tell what was coming in the future. Look at the 70 RR grill, shaped just like the 71's grill. On 70 Charger the bumper circled the grill, just like the 71's. Then there's the 70 Coronet who knows what happened?

My source for RR production numbers had:

RM21 - 33,743
RM23 - 48,549
RM27 - 2,128

RM21 - 15,716
RM23 - 24,944
RM27 - 824

So the 1969 RR outsold the 1970 more then 2 to 1.

I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and in my eyes the 1970 b-bodies are just not beautiful.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
droptop said:
It looks like the general public preferred the '69 over the '70, 2 to 1. :banana: :banana: :banana:
yes....hello to the general public......1969.....for all you guys that just love the 70 roadrunner why are you driving around in 69s??? :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

And what about your '68...??? :lol:
because i love my 68 with the 69 grille/bezels :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I will give 70 a more efficent air grabber and dash and more colors . the 69 is more true to the concept, was the M/T car of the year and has the 4-speed as standard equipment. for 70 the 6BBL was tamed down, milder gears available, no air grabber unless you paid for it, cast manifold. Also 4-speed or auto was optional as the base '70 came with a 3-speed manual and no pistol grip. I wouldn't kick a 70 off my driveway but I ended up with 4 69's and like it like that.

mcmopar

Reaction score
droptop said:
It looks like the general public preferred the '69 over the '70, 2 to 1. :banana: :banana: :banana:

There were a lot of reasons for the production drop. The Gov't was starting to crack down on the automakers in terms of pollution controls and safety - and then the insurance companies really began to start charging penalties an anything with a "performance" nature about it. Plus the economy started to tighten up as well. Add to that the fact that Ma Mopar began to cut back on standard equipment in order keep costs down due to inflationary pressures as well. It is far more than a simplistic popularity contest. One has to remember the times as they were.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Hoosier Bird said:
69 ROCKS........... 70 SUCKS...............Any questions? :acme: :pot:
says the guy who drives a chevy
You don't see me driving a chevy...........and that's the best you got? I've been laying low and you can't even welcome me back with anything better than that...........geezzzzzz

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
moparstuart said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":2ofq1iid]69 ROCKS........... 70 SUCKS...............Any questions? :acme: :pot:
says the guy who drives a chevy
You don't see me driving a chevy...........and that's the best you got? I've been laying low and you can't even welcome me back with anything better than that...........geezzzzzz[/quote:2ofq1iid]
you must have missed the , alien abduction story I posted ? I still think your an alien , you have been replaced and the real you is being probed right now.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
and that's the best you got? I've been laying low and you can't even welcome me back with anything better than that...........geezzzzzz

yeah thats a cheap shot.....welcome back....sounds like your feeling better :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Finally feeling better.......been 8 weeks and I'm not used to that......I'm never sick and have only been to the doc like 3 times in 6 years...........still not totally over it........

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Better double check that math, Steve.

33k + 21K + 2K does not equal 82K...although I seem to recall seeing this number (or one close to it) as the accepted overall production number...

Not sure that you can use the actual production figures from 40 years ago as substantiation for which year is currently more popular or would be a more sound investment for tooling. My opinion on the matter is more a "seat of the pants" feeling from talking to an awful lot of MoPar and or RR enthusiasts. Not my personal opinion mind you; you all know what I own and why. The package cars aside, it's hard to argue with the high impact color palate, side scoops, pop-up Air Grabber, Rallye Dash, Pistol Grip, and menacing looks of the '70 as having greater overall mass appeal. Using a website dedicated to '69 RRs as a measuring stick will only yield the predictable biased results from an opinon poll that it should by all rights generate. My answer was in response to the business acumen side of the equation; not my personal preference. If you ask the question "was George Washington the best President?" on the George Washington fan website you already know the response that will be provided by the majority of respondents before you even ask the question.

Roadcuda said:
According to my Dodge and Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book;
'69 Roadrunner
2 dr coupe 32,717
2 dr hardtop 20,899
converts 2,027

total 82,109

'70 Roadrunner
2dr coupe 14,744
2dr hardtop 20,899
converts 684
Superbirds 2,783*

total 39,110
*Other quoted production numbers

I found the problem, it was a typo in the hardtop number which was actually 47,365. It adds up now!

Back