• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a 68, 69, and 71 Frankenbird/Satellite

DonCarter66

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a disabled Iraq war vet (too many jumps, too many broken bones, nerve damage and brain injuries lol) still haunting the streets of Pinehurst NC. Now for the good stuff.

Got my first Mopar (and first carbureted car in 21 years) in May. She has already earned her name of Miss Behavin' as I am still doing shakedowns and replacing bits that need replacing after a car sits too long. 1968 Satellite convertible, with the '69 'glass 440 6bbl hood and deck lid (looks terrible to me as the lines don't match the '68 metal), 727, 3.23:1 open 8 3/4" rear end, and an actual '71 440 6BBL engine with the iron intake, the varnish and gunk in the carbs :crazy: looks like they hadn't been messed with since about '73 or so. The previous owner did a half-baked job on the resto. Originally a 318 car with LL1 paint, she is now a little off from the Vitamin C Orange with a VERY muted pearl to it. She is a little rough around the edges, but then so am I. I figured that with all of the different year parts, it averages out to around '69. Here is a pic the day I got her home.
68convertible.jpg

Anyway, Thanks for letting me in here.
Don

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
from one vet to another.....welcome..... to a great bunch of guys who will go out of there way to help.......love those 68 ragtops and she looks great ....i also did the same deal with the grill and headlite bezels

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome Don, thanks for your service. great looking car :thumbsup:

John69RR

Reaction score
Welcome from Texas, Don. :cheers: :cheers: Thank You for your service and soon I hope to find out who John Galt is. I have started reading Atlas Shrugged.

DonCarter66

Reaction score
Awesome guys, and thanks!

Just a little frustrated right now, the glovebox light power wire came loose and shorted against the dash metal while I was driving... Yep, by next morning I had a dead battery, jump started it, and the ammeter stayed decidedly a little left of center, especially when I stepped on the brakes or turned on the lights. I guess I need to break out the DMM and start testing. REALLY Frankensteined, has an MSD distributer/coil setup, but with the one-wire alt and the '68 voltage regulator. Thinking of replacing the alt with an internally regulated one anyway, going to replace the battery. Who knows how long it sat before I bought the car, and there is shadiness with what was done to the car before that.

That Galt speech is a long one, drink coffee before starting it :blah:

John, I grew up south of Houston, lived in Seabrook while Apollo was happening (Dad programmed for IBM and was loaned to NASA for the Apollo program) then Friendswood.

Anyway, pic of some of the updates I have done...New Grant wheel with quick disconnect hub for security
Don
MG_0482.jpg

DonCarter66

Reaction score
On said adventure... see fuel puddle underneath. Lucky I didn't have a nice little fire. Still need to pull the engine and rebuild, rear main seal leaks a bit and the valve springs are weak.
MG_0842.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and another thanks for your service! Your car is beautiful!

DonCarter66

Reaction score
Thanks Dobie and Bill! It is a good 20 footer, and getting better. I think the car just wants to be driven every day like I stole it. Seems to respond well, then breaks something that needs replaced. :lol:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Thank you for serving our country and welcome to the site from Pittsburgh, PA!
That's a good looking car you have!

DonCarter66

Reaction score
Thank you for both!

For everyone: Any thoughts on going to an internally-regulated one-wire 75A alternator? I already have a cable I made up if I decide to bypass the ammeter either way (8ga primary wire, 11ga fusible link)...

Thanks again,
Don

John69RR

Reaction score
DonCarter66 said:
Awesome guys, and thanks!

Just a little frustrated right now, the glovebox light power wire came loose and shorted against the dash metal while I was driving... Yep, by next morning I had a dead battery, jump started it, and the ammeter stayed decidedly a little left of center, especially when I stepped on the brakes or turned on the lights. I guess I need to break out the DMM and start testing. REALLY Frankensteined, has an MSD distributer/coil setup, but with the one-wire alt and the '68 voltage regulator. Thinking of replacing the alt with an internally regulated one anyway, going to replace the battery. Who knows how long it sat before I bought the car, and there is shadiness with what was done to the car before that.

That Galt speech is a long one, drink coffee before starting it :blah:

John, I grew up south of Houston, lived in Seabrook while Apollo was happening (Dad programmed for IBM and was loaned to NASA for the Apollo program) then Friendswood.

Anyway, pic of some of the updates I have done...New Grant wheel with quick disconnect hub for security

Seabrook is not a sleepy bay city anymore. I live about 15 minutes away in Deer Park. The whole Kemah/Seabrook area has changed dramtically in the last 10 years.

Back