• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New project

moparchris

Reaction score
Okay as if I need yet another project, well thats what my wife says. I found this 70 Roadrunner thats been made into a Superbird on Moparts in the for sale section. I flew out a few weeks ago and took a look. I liked what I saw so I went back and bought it. Mrs Mopar and I drove 2000 miles and spread it out over 5 days and did some sight seeing as well. Fortunately we did not get snowed in, although we came close. We ran into some issues but we pretty much worked them out. Alright thats all for now I have morefor you in the near future. We took many pics of our wonderful trip but somehow the pics (200 of them) were erased off our new camera. :brickwall: Here are some pics of the car when I went to see it. I will have more pics once I get it out of the trailer.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That looks like an interesting project Chris. That looks like new paint, so is most of the body work done? Lookin' forward to seeing more pics> And that sucks about the pictures.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice score; looks like I have something new to check out in a couple of weeks... :thumbsup:

Too bad about the pics though... :leave:

:jester:

droptop

Reaction score
A friend of mine checked into that car, but it was sale pending at that time. Looked to be well worth the money. Keep us posted.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Okay as if I need yet another project, well thats what my wife says. I found this 70 Roadrunner thats been made into a Superbird on Moparts in the for sale section. I flew out a few weeks ago and took a look. I liked what I saw so I went back and bought it. Mrs Mopar and I drove 2000 miles and spread it out over 5 days and did some sight seeing as well. Fortunately we did not get snowed in, although we came close. We ran into some issues but we pretty much worked them out. Alright thats all for now I have morefor you in the near future. We took many pics of our wonderful trip but somehow the pics (200 of them) were erased off our new camera. :brickwall: Here are some pics of the car when I went to see it. I will have more pics once I get it out of the trailer.
very cool , are you completeing it as a super bird clone ????

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was on limited time before. Between family time and getting to the shop to clean and make room for it I am pretty busy. I really didnt have time to write much. Now that I have a minute, let me give some of you the back ground on my love of all things winged. Back in 1995 I bought this Superbird. 440 4 bbl, 4 speed, tor-red, white interior. I owned and drove the wheels off this car for 2 years and loved every minute of it. The story behind it is pretty interesting. It all started in 1986 when we found a orange Superbird sitting in a back yard and actually noticed it by the wing sticking up over the fence. We tried to buy it but being 13 years old made it a tough sell to the parents. Didnt matter much siince the guy wouldnt sell it for any price and was approached by many people in the following years and offered large amounts for it and still wouldnt sell. He finally got sick of the constant pestering he removed the wing and promptly misplaced the center piece! By the way he was the original owner and the car had 60k original miles. Okay fast forward, one day while attending high school some guy walks up to me in auto shop and tells me his dad has a Superbird in his yard. I told him he was full of it! He then comes up a few weeks later with a polaroid of it on a trailer. It was the Westminster car! I bug him to go see and become friends over time. I never did get let into the yard. Sooooo me and my buddy, who is still my good friend by the way, go jump the fence into the storage yard and take a look. There it was! So after many years of trying to buy it didnt work out. Now its 1995 and I am a mechanic/ service manager at this 76 station in Huntington Beach and this guy walks in to the staion and says that he is my buddies dad and that he has a Superbird for sale and his kid told him to come talk to me. I cant hardly contain myself and ask in a calm voice "how much" he says 100k. I laugh of course. He doesnt seem amused. My boss quickly chimes in and says lets see it! Surprised at my bosses reaction I continue with a when can we see it? He says right away. My boss goes to the safe and pulls out all of the money in it and we pile into his town car. Upon arriving at the yard there is no Superbird. The guy takes us out to the other part of the yard and its there but burried in weeds. Looking around it was an amazing yard full of about 100 muscle cars. Cobra jets, gtos, ss everything, trans ams, you name it. Anyways we look at the bird and offer him 5k. He says no way, and that he knows its worth 6 figures. My boss then proceeds to take out $8500 and slap him with it. The guy looks at it long and hard. Well now we own a Superbird. I spent 6 hours digging and weed whacking the yard to make a path to get it out. I hook up my lowered Dakota to it and quickly burried it. We then we back to my station and borrowed one of the gas attendants 4 wheel drive Ford to pull it out. After getting it to the station i cleaned it and proceeded to get it running. I spent about 1k getting it road worthy.

moparchris

Reaction score
Some of these pics were taken at Spring Fling in Van Nuys when I was trying to sell it. The other pics were taken at my house and the gas station. Since I was broke and I needed to buy a house I made a deal with my boss that we will sell it and split the profit. I had every intention of paying him and keeping the car. I had 13k in my savings for a house and I couldnt justify using the money to pay for the bird. So i actively tried to sell it for 2 years and had bought a house in Costa Mesa. I was offered a much higher paying job and opted to leave my long time friend which I had worked for over 8 years off and on all through high school. I had to come up with the money for the car and couldnt. I lowered my asking price and sold it to a guy in Cuba Missouri. When I drove it into the car hauler for its trip to the east, I already was regetting it. In hind sight I should have gone to the bank and got a loan, but I thought I was doing the right thing. It still stings today. As a side note this Superbird has now been rotisserie restored and is glorious. I do feel better about it knowing that it got what it deserved.

moparchris

Reaction score
The new car that I just bought is a Superbird clone that has parts from the Janaks in Texas. It pretty much has all the parts needed to restore it and is jammed with new parts. It started as a 383 4 speed post Roadrunner that has been converter to a hard top. It has had some panels replaced but its done right and has a show quality paint job on it. It came with a 23 spline 4 speed trans console and 3.54 sure grip Dana. New parts by the hundreds. It was kinda tough to get this car sice I think the guy selling it changed his mind half way through the deal. It has been the hardest negotiation for me so far.

moparchris

Reaction score
My plans for it are to finish it as an accurate Superbird reproduction. 440 six barrel and a 4speed. The bottom was painted gloss black for some reason and I will re mount it to my rotisserie and prep and paint it R4 red like the rest of the car. When I went to go pick it up in Oregon, the guy was supposed to have it ready for some wheels and off of the rotisserie. Of course it wasnt and he had no way of getting it off. We had to transport it 1000 miles on the rotisserie, I did stop off at the nearest home depot and tried to support it in the middle. It did make the trip unscathed. Here are the pics of the unloading process at my shop and the temporary install of the suspension. I need it off the rotisserie so that it will fit in the garage for storage reasons until I am ready to start on assembly.

moparchris

Reaction score
I already have an original six pack set up that I stole off ebay. I just need a 440 block. There are several 440s in the junk yard right now. I guess i need to make a trip with my tool box.

joewhite440

Reaction score
Great story. I can relate to it. Selling a car and regretting it later. I think most of us have done it. The bad thing is it cost so much more to get it back now. But its only money right?
Anyways you are having fun and you have a great Wing car, clone or not who cares?

Looks great! I will keep watching.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Thanks guys, I was on limited time before. Between family time and getting to the shop to clean and make room for it I am pretty busy. I really didnt have time to write much. Now that I have a minute, let me give some of you the back ground on my love of all things winged. Back in 1995 I bought this Superbird. 440 4 bbl, 4 speed, tor-red, white interior. I owned and drove the wheels off this car for 2 years and loved every minute of it. The story behind it is pretty interesting. It all started in 1986 when we found a orange Superbird sitting in a back yard and actually noticed it by the wing sticking up over the fence. We tried to buy it but being 13 years old made it a tough sell to the parents. Didnt matter much siince the guy wouldnt sell it for any price and was approached by many people in the following years and offered large amounts for it and still wouldnt sell. He finally got sick of the constant pestering he removed the wing and promptly misplaced the center piece! By the way he was the original owner and the car had 60k original miles. Okay fast forward, one day while attending high school some guy walks up to me in auto shop and tells me his dad has a Superbird in his yard. I told him he was full of it! He then comes up a few weeks later with a polaroid of it on a trailer. It was the Westminster car! I bug him to go see and become friends over time. I never did get let into the yard. Sooooo me and my buddy, who is still my good friend by the way, go jump the fence into the storage yard and take a look. There it was! So after many years of trying to buy it didnt work out. Now its 1995 and I am a mechanic/ service manager at this 76 station in Huntington Beach and this guy walks in to the staion and says that he is my buddies dad and that he has a Superbird for sale and his kid told him to come talk to me. I cant hardly contain myself and ask in a calm voice "how much" he says 100k. I laugh of course. He doesnt seem amused. My boss quickly chimes in and says lets see it! Surprised at my bosses reaction I continue with a when can we see it? He says right away. My boss goes to the safe and pulls out all of the money in it and we pile into his town car. Upon arriving at the yard there is no Superbird. The guy takes us out to the other part of the yard and its there but burried in weeds. Looking around it was an amazing yard full of about 100 muscle cars. Cobra jets, gtos, ss everything, trans ams, you name it. Anyways we look at the bird and offer him 5k. He says no way, and that he knows its worth 6 figures. My boss then proceeds to take out $8500 and slap him with it. The guy looks at it long and hard. Well now we own a Superbird. I spent 6 hours digging and weed whacking the yard to make a path to get it out. I hook up my lowered Dakota to it and quickly burried it. We then we back to my station and borrowed one of the gas attendants 4 wheel drive Ford to pull it out. After getting it to the station i cleaned it and proceeded to get it running. I spent about 1k getting it road worthy.
is your old car still in missouri ???

moparchris

Reaction score
Yes it is. i believe the guys name is Jim and his business name is Montgomery's auto body.

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Yes it is. i believe the guys name is Jim and his business name is Montgomery's auto body.
great project you have , and i will keep a look out for your old car . We get a huge amount of wing cars at monster mopar in st louis every year .

Back