• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Power/Start Rears its Ugly Head Again....

dobie

Reaction score
Here we go again....The car started up fine tonight. After warming it up for a few I jump in and notice my fuel gauge is all the way to the left. Hmm...Then I notice my amp needle isn't moving. So I shut it off and everything goes dead. Turn the key and nothing. Off goes the hood and I wiggle the bulkhead wires. I get back in, turn the key, and she starts right up. Immediately though the fuel gauge goes back to "E", so I know once I shut it off it won't restart. During the time its running I have power to everything but the amp and fuel gauges. Shut it off, then nothing.

Last year I had the same issue so it went to a shop. As you look at the bulkhead connectors, the group in the middle, bottom left wire....should be a large red wire....that wire was soldered and connected inside the firewall. I can barely pull it out and get to the rest of the male terminals. So, with a small blade screwdriver I tried to get some dielectric grease in there. Hooked it back up and she fired right up. Only thing is I kept power to everything. Even took it out for a cruise, shutting it off several times.

Any idea whats going on? Sure seems like a bad connection somewhere, and its gotta be in that middle group of wires....but which one? I just packed grease in the wires in May after the last time....Is this something I should have to do every other month or so? Something can't be quite right here....

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks George. I've seen that before, but just kinda passed over it. Have you done this in your car then?

Jim S.

Reaction score
Was not too long ago we were talking about this. I replaced every stinking connector in the bulkhead (male and female) crimping and soldering. I drilled out the two holes for the ammeter on both sides of the bulkhead connector and ran 10 gauge straight thru. Be aware I also removed the ammeter and sured it up internally. RTE used to provide this service but, being a electronic geek, I did it myself. After it was all done, some dielectric grease and never looked back.
If you go this route, you need to leave about 6 in. of extra wire going thru the bulkhead holes to the ammeter. This will allow you to still unplug the middle bulkhead connector. I used black RTV to keep the 2 wires in place on the engine side of the bulkhead connector, then the extra will just pull out from under the dash. You cannot see that those wires are siliconed in because the holes are deep enough. Better bulkhead connectors are NAPA 725145 (female) and NAPA 725147 (male).
Granted a lot of work. The mad electrical conversion should get you back in business quicker. Here is the link I was referring to.

http://www.69roadrunner.net/mopar/showthread.php?9305-Electrical-Question&highlight=bulkhead

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. Is the other ammeter connection the wire directly beside the large 10 ga red wire?

dobie

Reaction score
look at diagram i sent you

That's kinda weird. It almost looks like in the pictures there that the large red wire is in one of the end connectors. (top or bottom) Mine is definitely in the middle connector, as in Jim's post above.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You will do anything to keep from doing that steering box :jester:

dobie

Reaction score
You will do anything to keep from doing that steering box :jester:

Haha. Yes......yes I will!

Actually, I've decided to tackle that over the winter. I may as well pull the wiring out while the column is out too. And, while it's down I may as well replace the pinion bearing as well.....The fun never ends, eh?

Last edited:
Back