• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pan- Pan- Pan

Jim S.

Reaction score
I've got a new valley pan coming with blocked heat crossovers. Is this going to affect the automatic choke adjustment, causing it to not open all the way? I guess a guy could just take a look after it is installed and warmed up. So did I answer my own post correctly? :loco:

moparchris

Reaction score
I would vote yes. The choke wont open all the way until its real hot under hood. Sometimes this happens when that crossover gets blocked by carbon.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You can adjust an automatic choke to open faster or slower by increasing or decreasing the spring tension on the choke mechanism usually. It would casue more problems in cold weather than it will in warm weather. If your car seems to run rich after you install the valley pan gasket you can adjust the choke and you'll be a-ok.

Jim S.

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You can adjust an automatic choke to open faster or slower by increasing or decresing the spring tension on the choke mechanism usually. It would casue more problems in cold weather than it will in warm weather. If your car seems to run rich after you install the valley pan gasket you can adjust the choke and you'll be a-ok.

Sehr gut, danke.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
mcmopar said:
You can adjust an automatic choke to open faster or slower by increasing or decresing the spring tension on the choke mechanism usually. It would casue more problems in cold weather than it will in warm weather. If your car seems to run rich after you install the valley pan gasket you can adjust the choke and you'll be a-ok.

Sehr gut, danke.
is that in squarehead......throw the choke out...i have 2 dominators with no chokes....real men have no chokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Jim S.

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Jim S. said:
mcmopar said:

Sehr gut, danke.
is that in squarehead......throw the choke out...i have 2 dominators with no chokes....real men have no chokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:
No, that is "decal nazi" language. I have always tried to keep the damn thing stock, only because I'm the third owner. So I got a Carter AVS with a girly man choke. Yeah I know a blocked crossover is not stock either but, it doesn't show.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I remember getting a small chevy kit once that had a number of block off plates with different size holes and a couple of complete block offs. Why couldn't you drill a 3/8-1/2" hole or would that carbon up? :hack:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I remember getting a small chevy kit once that had a number of block off plates with different size holes and a couple of complete block offs. Why couldn't you drill a 3/8-1/2" hole or would that carbon up? :hack:
I blocked mine off on my six pack intake because it keep burning off the paint on the nice pretty paint intake , Was black in the middle on both sides so i blocked them off . I dont drive it in the winter anyway .

Jim S.

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
jim what does that mean???.....maybe order the valley pan gasket you need to make that choke work
I need to replace the valley pan and intake bolts because it leaks a little oil in the back. After doing some reading, the blocked crossover seemed the way to go. Like Stu said it keeps the paint from burning and also stops possible boiling fuel issues. Some guys even claim more HP doing that, but I'm probably not going to get the front wheels off the ground with a new valley pan and a stock 383.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
[quote="george68hemirr
is that in squarehead......throw the choke out...i have 2 dominators with no chokes....real men have no chokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:[/quote]

my choke isn't hooked up and it starts better i the cold than my other did with the choke.

mcmopar

Reaction score
No choke here - don't need one in sunny Florida! Right Ray?
Oh yeah - and I too am running the blocked valley pan gasket from Jeg's. :thumbsup:
Trust me, the carb still gets PLENTY hot!

6R9Runner

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to swap out a Streetmaster intake with a DP4B dual plane on my 383. The setup is manual choke, with exhaust gasses recirculating into the engine bay thanks to a non-blocked-off crossover and the Streetmaster. In November, we are planning a trip from Atlanta to Daytona Beach for the Turkey Run.

Some questions:
1) should the valley pan be replaced when changing the intake?
2) Are gaskets required to prevent intake leaks? should I use RTV? Page 9-49 of the manual mentions the tappet chamber cover but nothing about intake manifold gaskets.
3) Is it a good idea to partially block the exhaust crossover (i.e by drilling holes in the gaskets) when using an aluminum intake?

I still have a few weeks to sort things out before the trip. Thanks.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah change the valley pan, it's your gasket, along with the front and real gaskets that seal the intake.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I use Hylomar HPF around the ports and Ultra copper RTV in the corners and the hold down rails. Most RTV sealant will get eaten by gas. Some other good sealant is "Yamabond" or "the right stuff" which I believe are the same and are gas resistant. A guy could probably just use "the right stuff" for the whole thing. Thin layer on the block and the intake with a new valley pan in between. I did not use the paper gaskets, just the new valley pan.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
been a wile since I did one, but IIRC, all you get is th pan, and the two cork gaskets for the front and back.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Here's the final setup, with the blocked heat cross-over. The gaskets are too thick, RTV only. Tonight I fire it up.

DP4B-1.jpg

Back