• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pan- Pan- Pan

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Here's the final setup, with the blocked heat cross-over. The gaskets are too thick, RTV only. Tonight I fire it up.

DP4B-1.jpg
looks great.....when you get her running and shes warmed up use a plumbers propane torch without it lit....just propane coming out and direct it around the gasket while running and if the engine surges up in rpms you have a intake leak......hopefully not :jester:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
looks great.....when you get her running and shes warmed up use a plumbers propane torch without it lit....just propane coming out and direct it around the gasket while running and if the engine surges up in rpms you have a intake leak......hopefully not :jester:
...AND IF YOU GET A FLAME, THERE ARE OTHER PROBLEMS :lol:
seriously (is it allowed?) THANKS! no leaks to report.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
You should run the blocked crossover pan whenever you are running an aluminum intake. it cuts down on the heat the manifold sees and reduces the chance it will get distorted.

Kind of hairsplitting, it will get plenty hot even with a blocked pan installed.

I haven't had much problem getting any of my cars to fire cold even with no choke and the blocked pan. More trouble with an AVS style carb going dry after sitting a long time.

Some say that a blocked crossover will lead to increased ring wear as it will take longer for the engien to heat up. I think that is crap. Engine gets plenty hot, plenty quick from what I have seen. Maybe if you just let it idle to warm you would have an issue. I let it warm from about 30 seconds, then back out and take it easy until heat builds on the gauge, doesn't take but maybe a mile to get to 150, 180 after about 2-2.5 miles.

mcmopar

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
You should run the blocked crossover pan whenever you are running an aluminum intake. it cuts down on the heat the manifold sees and reduces the chance it will get distorted.

Kind of hairsplitting, it will get plenty hot even with a blocked pan installed.

Some say that a blocked crossover will lead to increased ring wear as it will take longer for the engien to heat up. I think that is crap. Engine gets plenty hot, plenty quick from what I have seen. Maybe if you just let it idle to warm you would have an issue. I let it warm from about 30 seconds, then back out and take it easy until heat builds on the gauge, doesn't take but maybe a mile to get to 150, 180 after about 2-2.5 miles.

yup - same here. I never let it sit and warm up too long. Its usually good to go after about a minute or so.

Back