• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your old Pics........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
xs29j8 said:
Basketcase said:
if I remember the story I read on the 'parts, wsn't the owner confined to wheel chair, and he would ride in there? wonder if it's still like that?

You are correct, the owner was a quadrapelic who really loved Superbirds. The center of the rear bumper was hinged to pivot down so a ramp could be used to wheel the owner up into the car... note the viewing windows at the front of the enclosure.

Here in a picture from about 1980 showing me returning to the pits at Alamo Dragway near San Antonio after beating a GTO whose owner told me before the race "I will put you on the trailer". I asked if he would loan me a trailer, pointing out that I had driven the Road Runner to the track... :banana: :beep: :banana:
Gotta love that. Did you help him load his on the trailer? :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Do you guys remember this wheel stander? I took this in the late 60s at Beeline drag way which was out east of town.

mcmopar

Reaction score
That looks very familiar. I must have a pic of it in an old mag somewhere around here.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Here in a picture from about 1980 showing me returning to the pits at Alamo Dragway near San Antonio after beating a GTO whose owner told me before the race "I will put you on the trailer". I asked if he would loan me a trailer, pointing out that I had driven the Road Runner to the track... :banana: :beep: :banana:[/quote]

:party: :party: :party:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Well, while I certainly sympathize with the SB owner's condition...it doesn't change my mind about what they did to that poor car...that's just wrong... And I don't want to hear any PC BS (not that I would from THIS group anyway)...

:jester:
Ray

Well.... back in the seventies and early eighties Superbirds could be bought pretty cheap. I remember a friend buying a decent one for $1200.

Its easy to look back and say its too bad that a Superbird was cut up but at the time it was just a cool car that was modified so it could be used and enjoyed by someone that couldn't use it in a normal (whatever normal is) way. If I found that car today in the same condition... given the story.... I would seriously consider keeping it that way.

I look at some of the stories of these cars... how they were custom painted or customized and became something different. Then it sits for a number of years and when its found its "restored" to something that looks like it just came off the assembly line. All the character and individuality is gone... Its just another Superbird sitting in a line at a car show with other cars just like it... All stripped of their history and paint daubed to within an inch of its life.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I think that's why old race cars, straight line or roundy rounds, intrigue me so much........ :yesnod:

X2. If you recall there was a S&M Racecar on my "If you could have..." list of 5 cars...

Big: I hear what you're saying. I love it when somebody preserves something that was treated to a psychedelic paint job back in '71 or retains the barrel valve on an old fuelie race car. This particular car was just butchered a little too much for my personal tastes...

Ray

Back