• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radios?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
What have you guys done for a radio. I'd like to kept the interior some what stock looking and im sure im not going to find a newer radio that fits the current dash face plate. I have two radios (although I belive both are 68s) but I doubt either work. Im not looking to do a fancy system just something that work, and would be nice if it could do FM or even some of the newer stuff (MP3, iPod, etc).....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I broke down and installed the Jensen am/fm/cassette that was in the trunk of the car when I got it. about as impressive as a yugo. a buddy is giving me a factory am as soon as he digs it out. I'd like to pick up a Chrysle am/fm/cassette/cd from a late model, but I'd doubt it would fit. and with paint and body needing done, and thumbwhel am/fm isn't in the budjet. mostly I listen to the Chrysler stereo under the hood!

Jim S.

Reaction score
These guys will put new electronics in your old radio even make a AM only receive FM and not alter the look of the radio. One of the ways they have it switch to FM is to turn it off and back on again. I remember seeing them on a T.V. show. I'm sure it is not cheap though. I just kept my old AM thumbwheel after I got it working so I have no personal experience with them..

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/newradio0F.htm

69B5

Reaction score
I used Mike Hagan's radio repair.
I was well satisfied and the radio looks original and works fine
215-547-7145
69B5

moparchris

Reaction score
I dont know who it is, but there is someone out there modifying factory radios to accept an ipod input. The cord is usually in the glove box or under the carpet and comes up through a hole in the carpet under the drivers seat.

69B5

Reaction score
Ray, there is some truth to what you said, but then you haven't heard me sing. lol :drive:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69B5 said:
Ray, there is some truth to what you said, but then you haven't heard me sing. lol :drive:

...you don't want to hear me belting out "Sweet Home Alabama" either, Fran... :lmao:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Thats a cool idea about adding the Aux input. I wish I knew which wires to tap into as Id try it myself on the radios I have. Not even sure if they work yet (or if i can make a good one out of the two I have).....

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I think "plymouth fan" did something to rig in an Ipod to the stock sound system not sure how but somewhere there is an old thread about it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I think you're right about Plymouthfan. I wish the Mother Ship hadn't picked him up. he was a blast. JJ musta got picked up too.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
The more I think about this and read, I may just leave the AM radio in there for the looks, and stuff a small Amp under the dash, and do the Sub mini (connect to ipod) to RCA into the Amp. Can prob even find a wire off the key to turn the Amp on, or do the switch thing as well.... Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Oh any one know where to get a lens for an AM radio, mine has some cracks in it and would like to replace it.....

I also noticed that I dont have the bracket for the front (center) speaker. I looked around and have seen a few types for this that have been noted as 69. Anyone have a picture of ones thats correct, or know where I can pick one up (dont seem to be any on e-bay), or know what other years are interchangeable?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I kept the center speaker bracket off Frebird. I'll check when I get home today. It went thru a fire, so it'll need cleaned up.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Let me know. I did see that there is one for sale on e-bay right now.... Fire prob not a big deal as long as its not warped.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've got the bracket. still has the metal skeleton of the speaker attatched. doesn't look warped. Needs the rust cleaned off. If you're interested, i'll snap a pic tommorow.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Let me know. I did see that there is one for sale on e-bay right now.... Fire prob not a big deal as long as its not warped.....
Pretty sure I have one also, but its not heat treated :lol:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Basketcase, thanks, set you a PM.....

69hemi, thanks, once I get the pic, we will see if the Tempering had any effect... :)

From looking up under my dash it looks like there are probably suppose to be two bolts where the head gets captured in a bracket right by each of the defroster vents. Are these anything special, if anyone have the speifics on them so I can try and find a pair?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
here's the pics Bob. send me your addy, and I'll get it sent if you want it. I kept the speaker frame just to keep track of the speaker screws. It's solid, just needs the rust removed.

Back