• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotisserie Chicken!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Finally got the car up on the rotisserie today.

2008_1010Stuff0013.jpg
2008_1010Stuff0015.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
Yep. A present from my wife (I gotta great wife!)

Its OK, I'm not real impressed with little things like the threaded holes are powder coated and I've had to clean out a couple holes that weren't drilled all the way through, but it seems to work nicely.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
man those are scarey pics. I'd be afraid the body would flop around!
tht seems be be a problem with powder coating. gotta tap out the bolt holes, and any place where parts go together.
Hey Big, are you taking the car down to bare bones?

Big John

Reaction score
The car is really down to the bare bones. I left the gas tank and exhaust pipes on (they're off now) until the car was on its side because I figured it might be a little easier to take off.

The only thing in the car right now is the dash.

Big John

Reaction score
There's one spot under the drivers feet that needs to be replaced, the rest of the floor is pretty solid. I did find a spor today under the passenger seat that looks like someone jacked up on and I think that can be straightened.

The big thing was the underside had been painted fluoresent orange at one time. I just covered it with rattle can under coating. I want to finish it nice.

The rest of the car is pretty good, except the rear quarters really need to be replaced. They were patched at the very bottom years ago and done the way we did them back in the eighties. I think it made things worse over the years. I'm going to go with the AMD panels.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay Big, how about an update on the old Q5 A12?

Also, what are you doing with the drivetrain in this thing? I don't think that I've ever heard (read) what your plans are. Is this thing basically a stocker? I finally decided on my direction for Bambi; I'm going back stock except for the wheels (and probably a few aftermarket gauges - not so fond of the spartan '69 RR factory instrumentation...). I'm even ditching the headers and going back with the manifolds. I called up Bob K last week and ordered one of his A12 blueprint camshafts just to kind of lock in my newfound direction - gonna run some 1.6 roller rockers just to get some additional lift however. "Stock" to me is a relative term... :D

So give us the scoop; inquiring minds want to know...

:jester:
Ray

rmtate55

Reaction score
Wish mine was at that stage...still ripping things out of it. Just have to convince the wife to keep the Honda in the driveway for the rotisserie. :cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That looks like a challenging project you have there. Do you have a lot of sheet metal to replace? Oh, btw, I like your emergency brake(s)!

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay Big, how about an update on the old Q5 A12?

Also, what are you doing with the drivetrain in this thing? I don't think that I've ever heard (read) what your plans are. Is this thing basically a stocker? I finally decided on my direction for Bambi; I'm going back stock except for the wheels (and probably a few aftermarket gauges - not so fond of the spartan '69 RR factory instrumentation...). I'm even ditching the headers and going back with the manifolds. I called up Bob K last week and ordered one of his A12 blueprint camshafts just to kind of lock in my newfound direction - gonna run some 1.6 roller rockers just to get some additional lift however. "Stock" to me is a relative term... :D

So give us the scoop; inquiring minds want to know...

:jester:
Ray

Well... Not much has happened with the car. Its been a rough winter and honestly, the cold just got to my aching bones more then ever. Even with some heat, that garage stills gets pretty cold.

I've been puttering here and there and gathering parts I need though. I just bought some lower door hinges and have some stuff coming from Rock Auto. I have all the AMD sheet metal now, its sitting in my storage garage next to the Vette.

When I bought the sheet metal, the dealer had an AMD full floor sitting there and it looked like that was the way to go. The passenger side floor turned out to be a little thinner in spots then I thought and somewhere in the car's life, it had a hole hacked in the floor for a 4spd and I really needed to replace the trans tunnel too. The full floor looked like the piece to have even if I just cut it over the frame member.

I did score some US Car Tool frame connectors on Ebay for the right price and I think I'm going make a shaft loop that bolts to the connectors.

The engine??? I change from week to week about that one. Having had the car since '79, I've had a couple different combinations. The engine now is fairly mild, .020 over pistons, a MP cam and manifolds. I keep thinking about a stroker kit... then I wake up... then I think about just freshening what I have and going with a Mr Sixpack cam... which probably makes the most sense... Most likely something in between, but I still don't know yet.

When the body goes into the shop, then I'll have some time to play with it. I've got more heads, another block and a bunch of other junk... I think I need to find a good crank, but I could just start from scratch too. The trans is one I built years ago and worked real well, so that will get new external seals. I may go to a different converter depending on my engine combo. The one that was in there is another old piece, a Fairbanks 11".

I need to have a driveshaft made. The last two were shortened truck units that twisted.

So, I've got my work cut out for me. I'm going to get a few things prepped for paint and get someone else to squirt them. Mrs Big John's asthma won't let me spray too much paint here, which is probably just as well. I also found a small professional powder coating shop that I may have do some PC work.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hey Big, were the hinges you got new or used? what are they going for.pretty sure I need one lower.

and that looks like a pretty good projet. keep the wife happy, and she'll let you play.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thanks, I've bought from Ehrenberg of of ebay. (BTW,you must not have been awake yet :huh: , your link was for page 5, took me a while, but I found the ad on page 10.The search on moparts sucks)

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure it will be one hell of a nice ride whichever direction you go with the engine. I finally just came to the conclusion that if I wanted to build a fire-breathing 528 inch stroker then I shouldn't have spent the money on a real A12 when I could have gotten an H code car to build for a fraction of the price. I'm going to put a set of H-Beam Eagle rods in it (actually cheaper than reconditioning a set of 40 year old originals...) and do a few other little things, but I'm keeping it close to original. I may end up buying a new set of carbs (Bob K actually recommended that I go this route as sometimes the originals still have problems no matter what you do to them...) as I don't have a correct center carb anyway (I have a 4376 which is a '70 automatic center carb) and new is definitely cheaper than replating and refurbishing the old ones. Lots to figure out - but like you said - plenty of time to do it...

BTW - I had the hinges for the Swinger reconditioned by SMS Auto Restorations in Champlain, NY. They do a nice job...costs more than R.E.'s new hinges...but they are reassembled with self-lubricating bushing...

Just another option for hinges...
Ray

moparstuart

Reaction score
for my charger i bought the demons , they are in no way a bolt on replacement for the holley chrysler set up . cool and run great but took a ton of fabrication to make them work . very streetable with the electric choke also .

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
i had my carbs redone by holley they did a great job it cost me like 220 a carb

One of my friends that lives out in Chico, CA has a '70 440-6 Cuda and had his carbs reworked by Holley. About the same price. He hasn't run them yet, so no feedback on how they work. I mentioned this to Bob Karakashian and he told me under no circumstances should I send them to Holley. "They don't know what they're doing" was his exact quote to me. He advised me to buy new Holleys and re-jet them to work with his A12 camshaft that I intend to run. Probably just going to go that route..and if I can score a 4391 fuel bowl without the vent tube I'll change that out so it looks like the original '69 1/2 set-up.

That Demon set-up looks smokin' hot! I run Demon four barrels on two of my cars and they really perform well. We'll see how much I really like them when they need to be reworked somewhere down the line...and they have to be sent back to BG... While I understand their thinking - that kinda sucks for those of us that don't mind doing a quickie afternoon rebuild...

Ray

Back