• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotisserie Chicken!

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
i had my carbs redone by holley they did a great job it cost me like 220 a carb

One of my friends that lives out in Chico, CA has a '70 440-6 Cuda and had his carbs reworked by Holley. About the same price. He hasn't run them yet, so no feedback on how they work. I mentioned this to Bob Karakashian and he told me under no circumstances should I send them to Holley. "They don't know what they're doing" was his exact quote to me. He advised me to buy new Holleys and re-jet them to work with his A12 camshaft that I intend to run. Probably just going to go that route..and if I can score a 4391 fuel bowl without the vent tube I'll change that out so it looks like the original '69 1/2 set-up.

That Demon set-up looks smokin' hot! I run Demon four barrels on two of my cars and they really perform well. We'll see how much I really like them when they need to be reworked somewhere down the line...and they have to be sent back to BG... While I understand their thinking - that kinda sucks for those of us that don't mind doing a quickie afternoon rebuild...

Ray
the holley run and drive great , the came with a flow & benched chart where holley had run them . They run well right out of the box . we have tweeked them a little here and there but mostly good to go first try.

BG were a$$HO4$s to deal with . Jegs told me they where bolt on right out of the box and quoted me the wrong price also . After fighting with jegs we came to a compromise on the price . Then we go to install and nothing fits , nothing is right , these are chevy application carb that at the last second BG thought lets sell them as mopar also . No one makes a bolt up linkage set up , fuel rail is on the wrong side so mopar throttle linkage and kick down liknage interferes with it. Any way I call BG and they tell me to F off and figure it out my self. Telling me they have sold thounsands of them with no complaints. They have no customer service what so ever . I should have just send them back but I loved the look and now that I have them working they perform great . sorry rant over

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I hadn't heard anything bad about how the carbs run after Holley goes through them, but I have heard the plating turns out too dark.. of course that comes from the other guys that are doing Holleys, so I take that with a grain of salt.

I'd like to do the carbs myself... I've always done them and they ran great. The issue is having the plating done. I'm leaning toward having Scott Smith Harms or whatever his name is do the carbs. I've heard nothing but good.

Of course the deal was the two NOS end carbs I bought out the back of a speed shop back in the eighties for $20. They're still on my car!

BTW Ray, I have the right carb for your car, but I need the right one for an automatic. If you can find a decent core for mine, I will trade you.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
BTW Ray, I have the right carb for your car, but I need the right one for an automatic. If you can find a decent core for mine, I will trade you.

Well, now that may change things a bit...so I'll be on the hunt for a 4392 as well...and if I can find one you have a deal! :thumbsup:

I don't suppose you'd be interested in a '70 auto center carb... :D

Here's the link for the guy that you were referring to:

http://www.harmsauto.com/iHarms_Carburetors.html

Ray

moparstuart

Reaction score
I'm not sure if my color is exactly right or not ? It's good enought for my clone , but I would look into it more if i was doing an exact restoration. I would be pissed if I paid holley to make it correct and they got there own product wrong LOL

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay Fearless Leader:

It's been quite a while since you updated this thread. What's going on with our resident Q5 A12? Inquiring minds want to know... :popcorn:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay Fearless Leader:

It's been quite a while since you updated this thread. What's going on with our resident Q5 A12? Inquiring minds want to know... :popcorn:

Yeh, I want to boost the Lord and Admins A12 and drive it like I stole it. I'm first on this list :devil:

Big John

Reaction score
Its going very slowly... My time has been very limited since I quit being semi-retired and Mrs. Big John seems to think that the house is falling down around us, so I've been busy with that in what little free time I have.

I've decided to farm a few things out (house and car) just to try to get ahead of the game.

I may spend today out in the garage. I slept in this morning and decided not to go into work (yea.. I know... its Sunday) We got most of one side of the house painted and another side powerwashed and prepped, so Mrs. Big John has said she will finish that. I hate to paint...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Its going very slowly... My time has been very limited since I quit being semi-retired and Mrs. Big John seems to think that the house is falling down around us, so I've been busy with that in what little free time I have.

I've decided to farm a few things out (house and car) just to try to get ahead of the game.

I may spend today out in the garage. I slept in this morning and decided not to go into work (yea.. I know... its Sunday) We got most of one side of the house painted and another side powerwashed and prepped, so Mrs. Big John has said she will finish that. I hate to paint...

So you "farmed out" painting the house to Mrs. Big John; is she going to get the RR job too...? :lol:

Seriously though, are you going to send the RR out to a local shop get the new quarters and such? Paint too?

ACME

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":1jzcrvry]Its going very slowly... My time has been very limited since I quit being semi-retired and Mrs. Big John seems to think that the house is falling down around us, so I've been busy with that in what little free time I have.

So you "farmed out" painting the house to Mrs. Big John; is she going to get the RR job too...? :lol:

Seriously though, are you going to send the RR out to a local shop get the new quarters and such? Paint too?

ACME[/quote:1jzcrvry]

She's just not any good with hanging the sheet metal...

But seriously, I haven't heard back from my painter. I gotta call him tonight. The original thought was I would strip the car and get it ready for him to do the paint and quarters. Since then, I decided to replace part of the front floor. I was gonna do that myself.

My painter's real job is going away (New Process Gear) and I don't know if that will make more or less time for him. I really wanted him to do the job... He helped paint the car the first time when he was still in high school and then painted it the second time for me. He's got some other projects of his own that he wanted to do, including his 64 Plymouth and his Dad's 41 Willys, so I don't know what's going on. He does some fantastic work though.

I've also been thinking about finding a pro shop to do the body and paint and just get it done. The place in boston where JB666 is getting that Charger done sounds like the real deal.

Big John

Reaction score
OK.. I decided I really needed to accomplish something positive on the car to get me going again so here's what I did this afternoon.

I alays wanted to have 2 6x 9" speakers in the rear, but as we all know, Chysler wanted to only have one and a hole for a defogger. I had a rear speaker section donated to the cause from someone at the old forum... but I can't remember who.

2009_0614Stuff0021.jpg

First I flipped it over and saw it was pretty much symetrical. There's a slot, a hole and a cut out that mirrors the right side.

2009_0614Stuff0022.jpg

I cut the new section down with my handy throat shear. This is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

2009_0614Stuff0023.jpg

Another really handy piece is this vise mounted on a piece of 1" steel and bolted to an old driveshaft welded to a wheel.

2009_0614Stuff0024.jpg

I roughed out the hole.

2009_0614Stuff0025.jpg

Put the new section in place to get an idea where to start cutting.

2009_0614Stuff0026.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
I had decided to mount the new section in the same orientation as the right, just moved over 3'. There is a section that was recessed that needed to be flattened out to do this.

2009_0614Stuff0027.jpg

This is why I needed to mount it like this. The section where it was spot welded to the body is rusty. The new section needed to be trimmed down past that rust. That left the section near the recess for the defogger a little short though. Its not real clear, but the recess was bent up and flattened with a hammer and dolly to give me another 1/2" of metal to work with.

2009_0614Stuff0028.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
I trimmed the hole to its final size, trimming back where the old section was spot welded to the body... Well.. kinda spot welded... The guy on the line musta had a bad day and the spot welds are right on the edge.

2009_0614Stuff0030.jpg

With everything cut, the section sits down flush with a very small gap to butt weld.

2009_0614Stuff0031.jpg

The edge will get a few holes drilled in it and then plug welded to the body. The rest will be MIG welded together when I get back to it.

Big John

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Why does my runner have two speaker holes?

Looking good btw!!!!

Lots of the cars had holes cut for speakers, but none were "factory". Take a look in the trunk sometime.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
More power to ya John, seems like a lot of work to get that extra speaker in there, but it looks good. On my car I was able to get two 6x9 speakers in there. It does look strange though because one is parralel to the seat back and the other is turned 90 degrees. Also, the package tray cover had the perferations for cutting the speaker holes in the same orientation.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
That looks great with that GREEN section :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Before you know it, the whole car will be F8........... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
That looks great with that GREEN section :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Before you know it, the whole car will be F8........... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Its like a fungus :lol: Nice work John :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
More power to ya John, seems like a lot of work to get that extra speaker in there, but it looks good. On my car I was able to get two 6x9 speakers in there. It does look strange though because one is parralel to the seat back and the other is turned 90 degrees. Also, the package tray cover had the perferations for cutting the speaker holes in the same orientation.

I'm pretty sure that mine is configured the same way...at least that is how the speakers are mounted...in my radio delete car... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
Its like a fungus :lol: Nice work John :thumbsup:

That's the only way he could get one because no one wanted to cut any other color car up............ :lmao:

Back