• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I be embarrassed

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having a 383, it was the standard engine for the car. Would I like to have a 426 or 440, sure I would. However, I am not ashamed of 383.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Can you make a #s match car sure! But if you claim to have a #s drive train you better be able to make the trans and engine stamp identical in every way. Even a crooked letter or number were stamped on both parts the same. Hard to do by hand

You forget... I gots mad skillz. 20 years as a Tool & Diemaker in my former life.

If you handed me a box of number stamps (correct size and font), I would figure out the letter spacing and grind each stamp to that size. Then I would build a holder for those stamps with provisions to align with the stamp pad. Smack the hammer with a BFH and voila! Instant numbers matching.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You forget... I gots mad skillz. 20 years as a Tool & Diemaker in my former life.

If you handed me a box of number stamps (correct size and font), I would figure out the letter spacing and grind each stamp to that size. Then I would build a holder for those stamps with provisions to align with the stamp pad. Smack the hammer with a BFH and voila! Instant numbers matching.

I think the font and size is the trick cause I could weld them in place LOL It can be done but remember the machine surface can be a give away also. :D

Last edited:

zupanj

Reaction score
My car is not even close to original. Few people at a car show would know that but a Mopar guy would pick it up instantly. When I bought the car it had a 1969 383 in it but it was not numbers matching. No surprise there, not many of these cars were babied when they were new. I really didn't pick up on this until I got the car home and drove it a bit but it ran like a dog. The guy who owned the car when it was restored bought the engine thinking it should run OK. The problem was low compression pistons, iron heads and a huge overlap cam combined with 3:23 gears. Once I got above 3200 rpm or so the car would run OK it was out of breath in the low 5000's. So I had a choice; rebuild this engine with the correct parts and maybe put in steeper gears or put in a different engine. It was more or less no decision for me so I went with the hemi.

I wanted a hemi car for years. I bought a 1967 440 GTX brand new and always wished it was a hemi. There was a B5 hemi on the show room floor but I didn't buy it. One of the reasons was my older cousin was a car guy and discouraged me to buy the hemi. The car had to be my daily driver and he said I would be working on it all the time. In retrospect it was the correct decision for my circumstances but still I had regrets.

So when the time came to make the decision it was hemi all the way and no regrets. I am not someone who thinks a car has to be just the way it came from the factory. It is my car and it will the way I want it without worrying about it. I don't drive it much but not because I am afraid to.

Having said all this I would have no problem with a 383 car either.

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
Well was he right , do you have to make adjustments all the time ? and if so do you mind ?

Last edited:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I have a few 383s and a 440 sitting around. With the low block and short stroke of a 383, I've buzzed mine to 8000 rpm a few times and I'd put it up against any engine I've ever had. I built it out of used parts I had laying around and I beat the crap out of it. I run an 850 Holley with 4 corner adjust so it idles without loading up and it runs like a scolded dog.

69383RR

Reaction score
I read some where that the reason period Hemi motors are so scarce is because the young fellows that bought the cars didn't know how to tune or adjust them and ended up trading them in for something else . Subsequently these cars ended up in the back lot some where ,and when couldn't be sold eventually were scraped . Don't know if that's true or not .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think the font and size is the trick cause I could weld them in place LOL It can be done but remember the machine surface can be a give away also. :D

Machine surface is not a problem. Just have to cut away what's there first and then duplicate the finish. That can be done in the same manner as the factory (some sort of milling machine) or someone skilled can do it by hand.

Don't forget, back when they cut and stamped the engine or trans, there was a lot of variance over time. As tools got dull or replaced, they would leave different surface finish.
Besides that, there's really only a handful of people that would know the difference. Most guys would slide under the car and say "yep, same numbers" and it would never again be seen until the next guy that buys it.

The stamp and font size are a little difficult to come up with, that is true. You can't order the right ones from MSC... but you can come close enough for the average guy to never know the difference. Getting the right ones may take having a set of custom number stamps made, but more likely they used some off the shelf stamps that were made to go into their holder. Just gotta find the vendor.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
When I was finally able to get another Road Runner I wanted a 383 car partly because that is what my first RR had back in '72. And I am very happy with that engine. I don't race my car but that doesn't mean that the secondaries are rusted shut!!!! They get used from time to time and it has plenty of power for me. I knew that a Hemi was going to be beyond my mechanical skills to keep it tuned up correctly and felt that the 440 was also more power then I really needed. I wanted to be able to drive my car as often as possible so the 383 fit the bill. As far as I know my car is numbers matching but I've never bothered to get under it and check, and I do prefer my cars to be factory correct.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
First I would have said to the guy are that ignorant or just acting!:bart:

Second if anybody should have changed there engine from the oringnal 383 it should have been me as I'm on my 3rd 383 and proud to say that!:D:thumbsup:

I beat them up on these paved country roads.

Also at 66 years old the 383 is just wright for me.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
only be embaressed if your car is blue.....:acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::jester:(wonder who will fire back first, Ray or Bobby........)

A31PKG

Reaction score
Just like the Z28 302, the 383 HP is sort of the same principle. The Z28 was basically a 283 crank in a 327 block. The pistons had less distance to travel and thus you have a high RPM screamer....same goes for the 383...It has all the 440 HP heads and valvetrain with a shorter stroke... You couldn't get all that on a standard 383. It's a special engine for sure...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
only be embaressed if your car is blue.....:acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::acme::jester:(wonder who will fire back first, Ray or Bobby........)

Bob - time to put some more AMDRO on that green ant hill...they're getting all full of themselves again... :lol:

Forget what I said earlier. After shipping my engine block up to Marcellus, NY it turns out that my A12 is numbers matching...:basketcase:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Bob - time to put some more AMDRO on that green ant hill...they're getting all full of themselves again... :lol:

Forget what I said earlier. After shipping my engine block up to Marcellus, NY it turns out that my A12 is numbers matching...:basketcase:

:jester:

That there is funny :lmao:

Rocket

Reaction score
IMO numbers matching, fender tag and build-sheet is awesome but it also ties your hands a bit. I have none of the aforementioned qualities in my car but it gives me guilt free artistic license.

I am going to make a A12 clone as tastefully done as possible. All I need is the Dana Rear and a few minor things. I would never be able to afford a real A12. It will be tastefully done (even getting rid of the pistol grip at some point because it just doesn't feel right in a 69)

I wanted 3/8 fuel line with a return. Did it with zero hesitation. Heck I may even put a disc brake kit on it at some point. Like I said #s matching fender tags are great when you are selling. And granted I won't get much out of mine for all the money I am putting into it but who cares. My kids are going to love this car when I am long gone.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have people ask why my pistol grip is missing, its become so common.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO numbers matching, fender tag and build-sheet is awesome but it also ties your hands a bit. I have none of the aforementioned qualities in my car but it gives me guilt free artistic license.

I am going to make a A12 clone as tastefully done as possible. All I need is the Dana Rear and a few minor things. I would never be able to afford a real A12. It will be tastefully done (even getting rid of the pistol grip at some point because it just doesn't feel right in a 69)

I wanted 3/8 fuel line with a return. Did it with zero hesitation. Heck I may even put a disc brake kit on it at some point. Like I said #s matching fender tags are great when you are selling. And granted I won't get much out of mine for all the money I am putting into it but who cares. My kids are going to love this car when I am long gone.

Some things just need to be upgraded...JMHO. My car is a real A12, but I have NIB stainless 3/8" fuel lines that are going into the car. An oversight by Ma MoPar as far as I am concerned. These cars were built to be drag cars, yet they still came with the 402 5 quart pan. Well, a 440 can suck a 5 quart pan completely dry in 1,320 feet at WOT. I have a 6 quart Hemi pan going on the date code correct engine I am building. I have a perfect 402 pan for the car should its next caretaker be that anal, but Bob K himself told me not to put a 5 quart pan on the car if I planned to beat on it - and I plant the pinion snubber to the floor pan every time I fire that b*tch up. At this point I'm holding off on the disk brakes as the car stops surprisingly well...but at some point in the future...who knows? I have ALWAYS been a day two kinda guy...I have manifolds for my car...but have been thinking a lot about letting that RB breathe with a set of headers...undecided at this point. As for the black hose reels (H Wheels), I have a set...but don't expect to see them on the car for much more than a quick photo session...:D

Back