• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Greek Roadrunner is finally here!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
In Arizona I could take an old race car with a bill of sale no title make it street legal and the DMV would inspect the numbers, VIN if there. If it clears the stolen data base they can issue a new title and place a new foil vin sticker in the door jam.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I personally would think (in my very non-professional opinion) it is pretty easy to pass off a Satellite as a Road Runner by changing the Vin tag to make it look like a real Road Runner and sell it overseas and escape any scrutiny. One could get a salvage title off a totaled car then take the Vin plate and do what they want. I don't see where the paperwork proves much since it's not a "title" per se. Engine stampings and body stampings are also easily falsified.

In this case for $5K I don't see where someone would go to all that trouble and do all that just to sell this car. Seems like a lot of effort, and probably expense, for very little reward.

If I had to guess (again, in a very un-professional opinion) your car is a true Road Runner. Especially in light that all the other markings match the replacement Vin plate. Perhaps the car was in an accident and the tag was damaged. Or corroded to a point where it could not be read, the car is pretty crusty (no offense meant to your car).

Who cares anyway. Unless the intention is to turn this into a show concourse condition car. There are so-called experts (certainly not me) who could authenticate the car if you wanted or cared. I wouldn't bother, just have fun with it. I apologize for even bringing it up.

kariverson

Reaction score
I personally would think (in my very non-professional opinion) it is pretty easy to pass off a Satellite as a Road Runner by changing the Vin tag to make it look like a real Road Runner and sell it overseas and escape any scrutiny. One could get a salvage title off a totaled car then take the Vin plate and do what they want. I don't see where the paperwork proves much since it's not a "title" per se. Engine stampings and body stampings are also easily falsified.

In this case for $5K I don't see where someone would go to all that trouble and do all that just to sell this car. Seems like a lot of effort, and probably expense, for very little reward.

If I had to guess (again, in a very un-professional opinion) your car is a true Road Runner. Especially in light that all the other markings match the replacement Vin plate. Perhaps the car was in an accident and the tag was damaged. Or corroded to a point where it could not be read, the car is pretty crusty (no offense meant to your car).

Who cares anyway. Unless the intention is to turn this into a show concourse condition car. There are so-called experts (certainly not me) who could authenticate the car if you wanted or cared. I wouldn't bother, just have fun with it. I apologize for even bringing it up.
No offense whatsoever! I encourage discussion! And I know the condition of the car don't worry haha. Whatever happened, happened in '79 and the car was on ebay for everyone to buy, I just had the highest bid at $9500. Seller actually told me that the vin tag doesn't match the rest of the numbers and gave me the option to continue the purchase at a discount. I got it for $7500. (in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have but I had been looking for a couple of years by then and no one wanted to sell overseas) He most likely wrote $5000 on Bill of Sale for tax reasons. I also came to the conclusion that it is a true roadrunner since it actually has all the options the build sheet says. I'll see what happens with FIVA, it's up to them if I get Greek paperwork with the correct, original vin that's everywhere or with the vin tag it got in '79.

Now to continue the work on the motor!

Does the "new" VIN tag not look like proper Chrysler vin tag on the dash? (For a 1969 car).
I'm confused by the situation, but my guess is you will need to give your authorities the paperwork and US registration that matches the current tag.
I hope the attached VIN tag matches that.

Yeah, looks like an original 69 roadrunner vin tag. RM21H9Axxxxxx. Rivets look correct also, black rosette ones with 6 points. I'll get you a pic when I'm at the car.

Edit: added pics. The best I could get, windshield is really foggy. The service record sticker is kinda cool too. The other sticker with tire pressure etc. is covered under that stupid sprayed on black paint that's on the door trims and the engine bay for some reason.

I won't have any issues getting the Greek "historic car" plates and registration with that vin it got in '79. I know that for sure. My only worry is that it would hurt the legitimacy of the car. Either we like it or not, it is a collectible now

Thank you all for your replies!
In Arizona I could take an old race car with a bill of sale no title make it street legal and the DMV would inspect the numbers, VIN if there. If it clears the stolen data base they can issue a new title and place a new foil vin sticker in the door jam.
That's not a bad guess. It could have been raced that's why they had installed Mr Gasket Super Traction Bars. They might have wanted to register it again to sell it in '79 found a new VIN from a totaled runner and got a new registration with that tag. If someone could even do that, I don't know your laws and like you mentioned every state is different.

EDIT: What color do you think my engine was from factory? I've read all kinds of things like it dependeds if it had AC or which carb it had. Since the intake is out I want to send it for cleaning and paint. Was the blue ones painted over orange? Because my blue is pealing and it's orange underneath. :screwy:

IMG_20230708_192812.jpg

IMG_20230708_192823.jpg

IMG_20230708_192906.jpg

IMG_20230708_192939.jpg

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
To be clear
You have a broadcast sheet and title or paperwork with one 1969 Road Runner VIN.
And you have a dash frame with a different 1969 Road Runner VIN.
The body, engine and transmission match the dash VIN.
I think your engine should be orange.

kariverson

Reaction score
To be clear
You have a broadcast sheet and title or paperwork with one 1969 Road Runner VIN.
And you have a dash frame with a different 1969 Road Runner VIN.
The body, engine and transmission match the dash VIN.
I think your engine should be orange.
No no, I have a dash vin tag and a '79 registration with a random 69 Roadrunner vin

And I have, body numbers, engine, (not sure about transmission yet) and broadcast sheet with its original vin.

Only the dashboard tag matching the 79 registration differentiate from the rest.

Last edited:

RonLiv

Reaction score
Weird. If the body numbers all match the engine, it makes sense to me this is the original VIN for the car.

Something must have happened to the dash on that car which destroyed the VIN tag. Maybe a fire or something else that destroyed the dash and they put one in from another car and just adopted that vin? But then why or even how was the car registered with the new VIN?

Unless the car was stolen at some point in its life and the VIN Tag replaced with another from a junked car? In PA that being the case it would have gotten a "reconstructed" title, meaning you took a car deemed totaled out of the junk yard and rebuilt it. I'm unsure as to when that process started.

The previous owner might have some information as to how this came about. If this car was still in the States, I would try and sort this out before I spent a lot of money and effort on the car only having to return it to the original owner (if a stolen vehicle). Is there a statute of limitations on these things? I don't know this either.

"The Mystery of the Greek Road Runner" - Sounds like the start of a good book. "Once upon a time a Greek man, Phillip Kariverson, and his father were shopping for a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner project car to work on together and create lasting memories. After acquiring and and importing such a car to Greece, little did they know the adventure and mystery that was about to unfold before them.":popcorn2:

Sorry about that man, I've been told that I'm just a frustrated writer turned Insurance Salesman.

Last edited:

RonLiv

Reaction score
Maybe the car is just a "Frankenstein." where multiple cars were used to make one.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
No no, I have a dash vin tag and a '79 registration with a random 69 Roadrunner vin

And I have, body numbers, engine, (not sure about transmission yet) and broadcast sheet with its original vin.

Only the dashboard tag matching the 79 registration differentiate from the rest.

The word "random" confuses me.
Is the dash VIN and the 79 registration one or two VINs?
The same VIN or two different ones?
And it sounds like we are assuming the body, engine and broadcast sheet are the "original VIN".
So, that makes me think you may have 3 Road Runner VINs.
I don't know if I should congratulate you on that or not.:thumbsup:

kariverson

Reaction score
The word "random" confuses me.
Is the dash VIN and the 79 registration one or two VINs?
The same VIN or two different ones?
And it sounds like we are assuming the body, engine and broadcast sheet are the "original VIN".
So, that makes me think you may have 3 Road Runner VINs.
I don't know if I should congratulate you on that or not.:thumbsup:
Dash vin and 79 registration is one vin.
Body, engine, broadcast sheet is another.

Back