• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HEMI GETS ALITTLE SIDEWAYS

6R9Runner

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
[quote="ACME A12":6xwdzqko]
Bunch of wasted footage on those new challenger land barges... :leave:
:jester:
never drove one and for the price i could build another hemi....they do haul ass.....Ray... your getting bitched slapped :D
If so, I'm getting bitch-slapped by some people that haven't done their research and are taking misguided brand loyalty to new heights. Check the Moparty 2010 thread. I posted all of the important data points in that thread. The Challengers are obese by any sensible measuring stick, and the SRT8 gets its ASS KICKED by the base Mustang GT - not the the GT500 mind you - the friggin' base GT - in EVERY MEANINGFUL, MEASURABLE category except braking thanks to the giant Brembos the SRT8 is packing. Considering what it has for brakes, God, I would hope so...
... I'm perfectly comfy with my opinion and the company I'm keeping. :jester:[/quote:6xwdzqko]
You are absolutely right about the specifications, and we can use the same logic to compare the following 2 cars. The sensible thing would be to choose Car #1 based on weight, price and practically the same performance. See below, and my comment at the very bottom.

Car #1 specs:
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,790
Number built: 13,970
Base price: $3,100

Top Available Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 396
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 5600
Torque @ rpm: 415 @ 4600

Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.8
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.7 @ 98.7

Car #2 specs:
Wheelbase, inches: 116.0
Weight, lbs: 3,841
Number built: 1,920
Base price: $4,298

Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 440
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 4600
Torque @ rpm: 480 @ 3200

Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.7
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.3 @ 103.7

Car #1 is a 1969 Camaro SS396. Car #2 is a 1970 Superbird (source- howstuffworks). Thankfully, forty years ago, 1,920 misguided people bought a Superbird. :pot:

droptop

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
If I get my way she'll get a new Boss 302........ :jester:

To small for a man of my size. And of course, you know all you'll have is a damned old Mustang that is just like all the others. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
You are absolutely right about the specifications, and we can use the same logic to compare the following 2 cars. The sensible thing would be to choose Car #1 based on weight, price and practically the same performance. See below, and my comment at the very bottom.

Car #1 is a 1969 Camaro SS396. Car #2 is a 1970 Superbird (source- howstuffworks). Thankfully, forty years ago, 1,920 misguided people bought a Superbird. :pot:

What you seem to fail to grasp is that in this case the base SS350 Camaro (not the SS396 or even a Nickey, Yenko, or Dana for that matter...) just kicked the 440-powered Super Bird's ass - using your argument. If you want that obese daimler-nazi monstrosity in your garage you just go ahead and buy it; who's stopping you??? Certainly not me...

Personally I'd take the Super Bird every time myself - but your scenario fails to make a valid comparison. And for the record, 1,920 buyers didn't just fall out of the trees. That's revisionist history. Some of those cars sat on lots for a couple of years...most everyone knows that... :D

You like 'em; I don't. You want one - then buy one. Otherwise, let it go...that's the beautiful thing about this country - I'm entitled to my opinion...

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
if i was to buy a new rocket.....it wouldnt be a challenger/mustang/camaro/vette

but why spend the money on that when you can build a ground shaking real hemi and have something no one else has :D

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
if i was to buy a new rocket.....it wouldnt be a challenger/mustang/camaro/vette

but why spend the money on that when you can build a ground shaking real hemi and have something no one else has :D

I'm with you on that, George...but we all have to have daily transportation too. I don't require anything fancy - as is evidenced by my new to me "Orkin Truck"... :lol:
Mrs. ACME wants her cake and to eat it too...which is why she always gets the new vehicles. We actually stopped and looked at a 2009 Challenger SRT8 that was out front on a dealer's lot a week ago Sunday. It was that retina-burning orange which I like, but it had a slush-box which I do not like at all. What caught my attention was that it had "Supercharged" emblazened across the windshield; that and the fact that it wasn't brand new so some other clown had already eaten the depreciation on it. Sure enough, the PO had loaded this thing up with every bolt-on available for the 6.1 from the Vortech Supercharger to the Borla exhaust. Fortunately for me, I had to catch a plane to LAX so "Nasser" (the salesguy that immediately swooped down upon us the second that we exited our vehicle) didn't have time to get the keys for her. Upon returning home this past weekend I made good on my promise to take her back for a test drive. Thankfully, it was gone... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:

I'm with you on that, George...but we all have to have daily transportation too. I don't require anything fancy - as is evidenced by my new to me "Orkin Truck"... :lol:
Mrs. ACME wants her cake and to eat it too...which is why she always gets the new vehicles. We actually stopped and looked at a 2009 Challenger SRT8 that was out front on a dealer's lot a week ago Sunday. It was that retina-burning orange which I like, but it had a slush-box which I do not like at all. What caught my attention was that it had "Supercharged" emblazened across the windshield; that and the fact that it wasn't brand new so some other clown had already eaten the depreciation on it. Sure enough, the PO had loaded this thing up with every bolt-on available for the 6.1 from the Vortech Supercharger to the Borla exhaust. Fortunately for me, I had to catch a plane to LAX so "Nasser" (the salesguy that immediately swooped down upon us the second that we exited our vehicle) didn't have time to get the keys for her. Upon returning home this past weekend I made good on my promise to take her back for a test drive. Thankfully, it was gone... :D
What can I say, Ohio girls are high maintenance :D Now I have another phone call coming :brickwall:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
What can I say, Ohio girls are high maintenance :D Now I have another phone call coming :brickwall:

Would you like to schedule that or do you just want her to surprise you? :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
Yeah Ray your getting bitch slapped. :lol: Relax buddy I am with you on your opinion of the Chally. So :cheers: and lets talk about it over a ride in something old and rattly. My problem with the new Chally is one of disappointment. I am a bit biased since everything I own is modified in some way. I have driven all three muscle cars enough to draw a pretty accurate opinion of them. My brother has a GT500 and I rented a Camaro SS over Christmas so I am familiar with those. I have test driven many of Challys since I had one on order that the price got raised when the car arrived at Cerritios Dodge (20k). I really like the idea of the Chally but its too dumbed down for me with all the traction control this and anitlock that. It feels like a muted version of what it could be. If I bought one I would take all that shit off and throw it in the trash. The Camaro (it was an auto) wouldnt do a burnout and would only do half a donut. I dont believe in power braking a car, thats for the drag strip. I want my 40k muscle car to light the tires at will. My brothers GT500 will at least lay a little rubber. All of the cars are very quiet and tight, I would love to own a Chally but I cant stomach the asking prices of these things, I mean whats with "oh thats MSRP,but we think you should pay more" attitude at the dealers? WTF! What happened to going down to the dealer and getting the car you like for a few bucks under sticker? The auto makers have it all wrong and its no wonder they went bankrupt. I for one, and I am sure there are many more that feel this way, would own a new Chally right now if the dealers weren't douce bags about pricing. The auto manufacturers know about this and think its okay. If they make 20% at MSRP and the manufacturer makes 20% before it goes to the dealer why do they need to make a killing on every car? Sorry rant over. Oh by the way George nice one, you guys know how to throw a show! That Hemi sounds awesome with some RPM and I love how when you went by you can hear it thumping away at idle.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Yeah Ray your getting bitch slapped. :lol: Relax buddy I am with you on your opinion of the Chally. So :cheers: and lets talk about it over a ride in something old and rattly. My problem with the new Chally is one of disappointment. I am a bit biased since everything I own is modified in some way. I have driven all three muscle cars enough to draw a pretty accurate opinion of them. My brother has a GT500 and I rented a Camaro SS over Christmas so I am familiar with those. I have test driven many of Challys since I had one on order that the price got raised when the car arrived at Cerritios Dodge (20k). I really like the idea of the Chally but its too dumbed down for me with all the traction control this and anitlock that. It feels like a muted version of what it could be. If I bought one I would take all that shit off and throw it in the trash. The Camaro (it was an auto) wouldnt do a burnout and would only do half a donut. I dont believe in power braking a car, thats for the drag strip. I want my 40k muscle car to light the tires at will. My brothers GT500 will at least lay a little rubber. All of the cars are very quiet and tight, I would love to own a Chally but I cant stomach the asking prices of these things, I mean whats with "oh thats MSRP,but we think you should pay more" attitude at the dealers? WTF! What happened to going down to the dealer and getting the car you like for a few bucks under sticker? The auto makers have it all wrong and its no wonder they went bankrupt. I for one, and I am sure there are many more that feel this way, would own a new Chally right now if the dealers weren't douce bags about pricing. The auto manufacturers know about this and think its okay. If they make 20% at MSRP and the manufacturer makes 20% before it goes to the dealer why do they need to make a killing on every car? Sorry rant over. Oh by the way George nice one, you guys know how to throw a show! That Hemi sounds awesome with some RPM and I love how when you went by you can hear it thumping away at idle.
Nice punctuation :jester:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Nice punctuation :jester:
yes very nice not like me with all my runon sentences :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
[What can I say, Ohio girls are high maintenance :D Now I have another phone call coming :brickwall:

so where were you 20 years ago with that bright insite? :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

I think the new Challengers look great....until I see one in person, and especially next to a '70-'74. Too damn big. They look bigger than a C Body. But if one ever would show up in the drive way with a bow and my name on it....

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
You like 'em; I don't. You want one - then buy one. Otherwise, let it go...that's the beautiful thing about this country - I'm entitled to my opinion...

Come on Ray, Tell us what you really think........... :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":qoazw0jb]

Come on Ray, Tell us what you really think........... :lmao: :lmao:[/quote:qoazw0jb]

Actually what I meant to write was "I'm entitled to my opinion...and so are you." but I must have gotten side-tracked. Happens. I'm getting old...and Bob has pummeled me about the head one too many times...or maybe I just need to keep him away from my coffee... :lol:

droptop

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
droptop said:
[quote="ACME A12":3tgnerus]If I get my way she'll get a new Boss 302........ :jester:

To small for a man of my size.

1-800-Jenny-Craig... :lmao:

:acme:

:jester:[/quote:3tgnerus]

Being 6'6" I don't think that will help with the shortage of leg and head room in the Mustangs. But I guess most every car has tilt wheels now a days to over come the spare tire issue. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":10n6qj91][quote="ACME A12":10n6qj91]

Come on Ray, Tell us what you really think........... :lmao: :lmao:[/quote:10n6qj91]

Actually what I meant to write was "I'm entitled to my opinion...and so are you." but I must have gotten side-tracked. Happens. I'm getting old...and Bob has pummeled me about the head one too many times...or maybe I just need to keep him away from my coffee... :lol:

:jester:[/quote:10n6qj91]

Ever see the movie Grumpy Old Men? :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you mean that was Ray driving the Polara? :lmao:

Back