• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The World is NOT Flat...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The long-time members here know EXACTLY what I mean by that...you newbies will have to conduct a search... :lol:

So Bambilicious' starter finally took a complete crap on Saturday...been headed that way for some time now... Despite all of my previous "unflattering" comments regarding the stock starters for these cars I want those that are still using the pre-Columbus map of the world to know that I did at least price one out - just for the record... :lol:

Went down to Advance Auto yesterday and had my neighbor Jesse hook me up with a 9613 Powermaster. Have one on the '74 Duster and I love it. Advance lists them for $185, Summit has them for $179, and my man Jesse ordered one for me for $129. That sealed the deal...as if it wasn't sealed already... :D

I'm off to Seattle for a few days so it will be waiting for me when I get back. Not looking forward to fighting the headers to get the old one off, but once competed it will be a most welcome upgrade. Wasn't planning to go this route until I ripped the car apart and put the new engine in it, but obviously the timetable changed when the old unit deep-sixed itself...

:jester:
ACME

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:

Always good to hear from the President of the World is Flat Club...kinda surprising that you guys actually even use the internet... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I love the sound of a gear reduction starter in the morning, and yes if you sail to far west you will fall off the edge :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I love the sound of a gear reduction starter in the morning, and yes if you sail to far west you will fall off the edge :yesnod:

Dont you have a direct drive? :toetap:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
moparchris said:
A starter for a 94 v8 Dakota works too, for us cheap bastards.

call me cheaper. when The Terror was in High School, she had a Dakota(never even scratched the paint) and the starter dies. called about a new one.......$135...so I thought an old style should fit...only $40 for a reman. Couldn't make it fit.
and I don't use the internet...I have my youngest do it for me. Can't stand these new fangeled contraptions. now excuse me while I wander down to the garage to listen to my Pre-Columbus gear reduction music maker :stuckup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:

Well if one worked on a 4spd Hemi I'd be all over it, but they don't :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
ray....have a safe trip....bob will be ripping us up till your back :jester:

He's a stern taskmaster, isn't he...? :D

Thanks, George. Yesterday was one of those travel days from hell...two delayed flights...got to Seattle six hours later than planned...Thank goodness this doesn't happen every time I head out...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
ray....have a safe trip....bob will be ripping us up till your back :jester:

He's a stern taskmaster, isn't he...? :D

Thanks, George. Yesterday was one of those travel days from hell...two delayed flights...got to Seattle six hours later than planned...Thank goodness this doesn't happen every time I head out...
Insert lion handler with whip and chair smilie here :yesnod: :D

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:

Well if one worked on a 4spd Hemi I'd be all over it, but they don't :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Huh? I thought all Hemis came with a direct drive (no gear reduction) starter. Yours sounds different, just ask my neighbor. :acme:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Dont you have a direct drive? :toetap:[/quote]
Well if one worked on a 4spd Hemi I'd be all over it, but they don't :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:[/quote]

Huh? I thought all Hemis came with a direct drive (no gear reduction) starter. Yours sounds different, just ask my neighbor. :acme:[/quote]
I'm sorry I meant to say if a gear reduction worked I'd be all over it, yea mines a direct drive. I knew what I meant :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
OK, there's only two things that go wrong with a Chrysler gear reduction starter.

First is the starter drive. The starter will spin but not turn the engine over. Napa doesn't list one, but I just looked on ebay and there's a couple on there for $5.

Second, and probably more common, is the solenoid contact. The starter will click, but not turn over. Usually it takes a while for this to get bad enough to where you can't start the car, but if it starts to go, it will go eventually. You used to be able to buy just the contact, but NAPA #STK16 is the brush holder with new brushes and contacts.

Looks like this:
101077.jpg

Turn it over and you'll see the contacts. The large one is the one that errodes over time.

494660.jpg

That contact is the backside of the starter battery connection. It wears in a half moon shape. I have taken that bolt out and turned it 180 degrees on a couple of my old beaters rather then buy the whole repair package. That worked just fine.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Huh? I thought all Hemis came with a direct drive (no gear reduction) starter. Yours sounds different, just ask my neighbor. :acme:

I think the automatic Hemi cars have the gear reduction starter.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
moparchris said:

I think the automatic Hemi cars have the gear reduction starter.
Your right John that's why I specified 4 spd. Thanks for the tech update without headers I like to hear the old starters. With headers I can understand the merits of a mini.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Turn it over and you'll see the contacts. The large one is the one that errodes over time.

That contact is the backside of the starter battery connection. It wears in a half moon shape. I have taken that bolt out and turned it 180 degrees on a couple of my old beaters rather then buy the whole repair package. That worked just fine.

That exact fix was the VERY FIRST THING that my dad ever taught me after I bought my first 340 Duster. That brings back some good, old memories from 1978... :thumbsup:

Back