Tire Preferences

Transmission and Drivetrain

1. Rick Rockett

Rick Rockett Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Anyone have any favorite online sources for BFG, Coopers, or (especially) Mickey Thompson’s ??

2. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Have not bought any on line. But did look around on the net. Think you can get the mickey Thompson from summit racing. Believe tire rack had them too. I would check with my local tire dealer maybe they can help. Russ. :thumbsup2: Went on Thompsons sight and they gave me dealer location's hope this will help.

3. Rick Rockett

Rick Rockett Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Thanks, Russ.
    I saw that dealer search on M/T website... seems like local dealers don’t have the sizes we need.
    But I see that if I find my tire on the M/T site & click on BUY, the M/T site gives not only their prices, but also a few other sources, including Summit & Jegs.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  4. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Thought that is what I did glad to been of some help. Hope you get the tire's your looking for. Look's like it will be a long time before I even get a set of tires for my car. Things are moving slow for me. Maybe another year or so. My health is not that good. Good luck my friend. Russ. :D

5. Rick Rockett

Rick Rockett Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Russ, I hear ya! I think perhaps most of us here are having those health issues that slow us down. After all, we drove these cars when we were teenagers! I've had to learn just to keep things slow. I can't make the quick progress that I could as a kid.
    We used to drive these cars in all manner of disrepair, making due with what we could afford while working those after-school jobs. So, today we have these cars in all levels of condition, from show-cars, to barn-finds. I think they're ALL valuable bits of history, from some of the most fun years of automotive history in the USA. I get a warm feeling just from *looking* at my '69 Road Runner. What a time that was, 50 years ago!! Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon, & Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock (along with Janis Joplin & the very young Carlos Santana)!
    New tires or not, we've got GEMS sitting in our garages, carports, or barns!
    Slow progress is A-OK.

Rich B likes this.
  6. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes and think of me when you out on the road this old hippy. I love that era and rocked steady also to all the grate hit's. Can't wait to fire up the motor and plug in my CD's of the old hits and listen to the cherry bomb's roar along with the music. Don't forget Fleet Wood Mac. Along with Credence Clearwater. Man those where the day's. Good trucking Rick Your runner brother. Russ. :lol:

Rich B and Rick Rockett like this.
  7. john visconti

john visconti Well-Known Member

May 4, 2019
    rryhfght.jpg View attachment 28221 View attachment 28220 View attachment 28221
    Its a 70 but
    here is a 275/60/15 rear with an odd front tire size 205/75/15
    Too much rake for me i have been thinking of getting a second set of tires like rallies or magnums with all the same size.
    I like that look too and you can rotate if need be.
    dsds.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. Rick Rockett

Rick Rockett Member

Jun 13, 2019
    John, I calculate that to be a tire height of 27" front & 28" rear.
    That's the *same* as I have using 235/60-15 front & 255/60-15 rear.
    Yet, it appears that you do have much more rake than I have (see my car pic on first post here).
    Can't just be that 1" difference in tire height front to rear.

9. john visconti

john visconti Well-Known Member

May 4, 2019
    Yeah I guess even if I went with your size it would not be much different from mine right just an inch higher right?
    ha ha ha ha

10. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    What you talking about that is a good stance. Saw a mopar with the back jacked up so high you could swear you could walk under the rear bumper. Must have had one foot shackles on it. Could see the hole rear end shocks and all. It did have some really wide tires on it. :steering:

11. ACME A12

ACME A12 Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator Staff Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I bought a set of MT's for the wife's Dart GTS 'vert on Amazon. Amazon Prime shipping = $0.

12. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Nothing looked better going from stop light to stop light. Only problem is the wider the tire the more distributed the weight, making the rear much lighter and then raked? Slightest bump or pot hole especially on a curvy road and entire rear end would bounce wild sideways. Seemed the norm then- independent suspension, what was that?

Russ69Runner likes this.
  13. RonLiv

RonLiv Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I use the same on 15x8 & 15x7 rims, I like the stance. No rubs 42858913_10214227590856729_4646638608311123968_o[1].jpg

Rick Rockett likes this.
  14. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Don't know all about that had my charger up in the rear with air shock's with 8s on the back never had a problem. But do know the wider the tire the more hydro planning it will do. More surface equals more water contact. Like the wider the surf board. :lol:

Rick Rockett and Rich B like this.