• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tranny fix time

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
well had the guy over today to swap out the gears and as i spun the gears in the housing without the axles in it there was this rattle noise.....when he pulled it out of the housing 2 round pins with flat heads fell out.....if i look in where the axles go into the unit there is a hole that runs thru the spider shaft and the axles butt into these when installed
so that was the end of the swap till i find out whats up with that....i looked at a spicer exploded view website and it doesnt show these pins....what i have is a 68-69 high performance powerloc #25124x
I have had a couple of powerlocs apart and I don't remember anything like that in them, pretty simple units
heres some pics of what i am talking about.....the pins are in 2 pieces and it looks like a inside pin that was centered punched to keep it in place[attachment=2:21mwxru8]DSC02393.JPG[/attachment:21mwxru8][attachment=1:21mwxru8]DSC02394.JPG[/attachment:21mwxru8][attachment=0:21mwxru8]DSC02395.JPG[/attachment:21mwxru8]....the last photo the one pin head looks beat to death.....let me know if you ever seen this...... :groucho:

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
If I recall, you don't need those. Your axles installed will be fine. Which axle bearings are you running?
(what Chris said).

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
moparchris said:
george68hemirr said:
well had the guy over today to swap out the gears and as i spun the gears in the housing without the axles in it there was this rattle noise.....when he pulled it out of the housing 2 round pins with flat heads fell out.....if i look in where the axles go into the unit there is a hole that runs thru the spider shaft and the axles butt into these when installed
so that was the end of the swap till i find out whats up with that....i looked at a spicer exploded view website and it doesnt show these pins....what i have is a 68-69 high performance powerloc #25124x

This is the slider that allows you to adjust your wheel bearings. When you go to Green bearings your supposed to remove it. If you eliminated the axle bearing adjuster on the right axle then just put those aside and carry on.
WOW.....I did eliminate the axle bearing adjuster and went with green bearing when i did the moser axle swap but never removed the pins.....thats good news....thanks chris

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
moparchris said:
george68hemirr said:

This is the slider that allows you to adjust your wheel bearings. When you go to Green bearings your supposed to remove it. If you eliminated the axle bearing adjuster on the right axle then just put those aside and carry on.
WOW.....I did eliminate the axle bearing adjuster and went with green bearing when i did the moser axle swap but never removed the pins.....thats good news....thanks chris

Yep thats them. Chuck em in the trash. NOW HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART. Look at your housing (the axle housing) and check it VERY carefully for cracks. Those pins are very hard and for it to be mutilated like that will crack cast iron like nothing. Technically those pins can't escape the diff carrier unless it fell out while the diff was being put together in the first place.

Back