• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tranny fix time

V269

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
just called up PTC and am sending them back my convertor to give it less stall....its about 3800.....looking for around 2500-3000 stall since i am going with 373"s.....i gave him the convertor numbers and it turns out i spent a grand on this one......so shipping back and forth 50 bucks and 150 to tighten her up is better then spending another grand on another convertor :groucho:

:thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
okay.....so i am going with 373 which will be correct with 28 inch tires but if i have 30 inch tall tires what would my gears be then :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
a guy is coming over sunday to swap out my gears.....2 new bearings on the pinion/ring swap and set up......whats this job worth??

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
a guy is coming over sunday to swap out my gears.....2 new bearings on the pinion/ring swap and set up......whats this job worth??
A couple of hundred. Thats what I charge. For a Dana. I forget what you have.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
moparchris said:
george68hemirr said:
A couple of hundred. Thats what I charge. For a Dana. I forget what you have.
yes i have a dana and thats what he is charging....good deal...thanks chris :thumbsup:

Jim S.

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Good luck, George. :cheers:

What is going on with everyone having rear main seal issues...??? :huh:

Seems to be quite common looking at other forums. Mine was leaking leaking since I bought it. Replaced it with split rubber type and was sure I did everything right, still leaked. Now I start second guessing myself and ripped it apart again. This time I offset the seal halves 1/8 inch and used the orange rubber side seals instead of the fiber ones, still leaked. Now its getting to the point of doing the same thing over and over with the same result. (Think that is a sign of something). Well I'm happy to say I just finished it up today with a rope seal and ran it for 20 min. on the jack stands. No leaks (yes I did remember to put oil in it). It is a knurled crank. Took me two weeks because I have to take days off in between to recover. Uncle Joe is moving kinda slow at the junction. :banana:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
heres my rear main from mancini racing....not in yet....[attachment=1:1dcxj9d2]DSC02386.JPG[/attachment:1dcxj9d2][attachment=0:1dcxj9d2]DSC02387.JPG[/attachment:1dcxj9d2]

DSC02386.JPG

DSC02387.JPG

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Those would be for a standard seal retainer with a single side seal :groucho:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
i dont get why they would ship it in the package......hows your rear main doing bobby.....leaking too??

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
i dont get why they would ship it in the package......hows your rear main doing bobby.....leaking too??
Very little but yes, not enough to go after without another reason to dig in that deep.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
Very little but yes, not enough to go after without another reason to dig in that deep.
I had mine done about 2 years ago and it still leaks, but no where near as bad as before. I think it's just like everyone has said, there cars just have to mark their territory!

george68hemirr

Reaction score
well the tranny guy called and the pump gear blew and it was a standard gear....so i told him to replace it with a hardened gear.he said it looked like a bullit proof tranny otherwise....ask about if i should replace the pump and he said it should be good.....i told him to replace that also.....i dont want any trouble down the road
i dropped the oil pan and notice my mancini rear main package wasnt going to work since keith black has the seal built into the #5 main cap....got him on the phone and ones on its way

waiting for parts.....slowly but surely going back together :groucho:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
alittle difference[attachment=2:9yjmiho9]DSC02389.JPG[/attachment:9yjmiho9][attachment=1:9yjmiho9]DSC02390.JPG[/attachment:9yjmiho9][attachment=0:9yjmiho9]DSC02391.JPG[/attachment:9yjmiho9]

DSC02389.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02391.JPG

george68hemirr

Reaction score
well had the guy over today to swap out the gears and as i spun the gears in the housing without the axles in it there was this rattle noise.....when he pulled it out of the housing 2 round pins with flat heads fell out.....if i look in where the axles go into the unit there is a hole that runs thru the spider shaft and the axles butt into these when installed
so that was the end of the swap till i find out whats up with that....i looked at a spicer exploded view website and it doesnt show these pins....what i have is a 68-69 high performance powerloc #25124x

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
well had the guy over today to swap out the gears and as i spun the gears in the housing without the axles in it there was this rattle noise.....when he pulled it out of the housing 2 round pins with flat heads fell out.....if i look in where the axles go into the unit there is a hole that runs thru the spider shaft and the axles butt into these when installed
so that was the end of the swap till i find out whats up with that....i looked at a spicer exploded view website and it doesnt show these pins....what i have is a 68-69 high performance powerloc #25124x
I have had a couple of powerlocs apart and I don't remember anything like that in them, pretty simple units

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:

This is the slider that allows you to adjust your wheel bearings. When you go to Green bearings your supposed to remove it. If you eliminated the axle bearing adjuster on the right axle then just put those aside and carry on.

Back