• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V21 Hood Stripe Question

RonLiv

Reaction score
OK, so I was having some fun today looking at Fender Tags of 69 Runners that are for Sale. Yes, for me it's fun. Searching for Rag Tops and came across this one. I was confused by the Fender Tag and am suspicious about what I see here. Of course there is a thread all ready here that addresses the V21 Code so I'm asking the question if anyone else thinks this tag might be bogus. X9 is the paint code for "black" so why would there be a V21 code for a black stripe on the hood? Plus this Tag, hmmmm, looks very pristine for something that near 50 years old? Plus St Louis Tags almost always had a random stamping of a letter on them, at least mine does and that's what I've read. This looks as if stamped yesterday. 736_p24_l[1].jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
Fake! Actually a black car with the V21 looks pretty good!
That's what I thought. The car itself doesn't seem to have black hood stripes though, I could not tell from the photo, but that's interesting they were made apparently that way. The car is missing the V7W as it sits also. Which I think would look cool, but it's easily added. I did with mine. It's just a 1/4 inch painted stripe down the side.

RonLiv

Reaction score
It's a really nice looking car and the Vin is correct for a Convertible. Just this fender tag, makes you wonder about the whole car. If they just painted it to what they thought would sell or what, even if it's an authentic car. They seem to have a lot of Black Cars in their inventory, like its a theme736_p5_l[1].jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
It's at a place called "American Dream Machines" in Iowa. They have a red 69 Rag top that is a period correct 426 hemi car, but they admit the car was originally a 383. Any of you boys out that way, run by and solve the mystery. They are asking $59,900 which is probably about right for a #2 car which is what they are billing this as by the description. I'm not a buyer, just kicking tires. My hands are full and pockets empty with the one I have now.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
By the way their is a guy that will stamp you a finder tag for about 400.dollars. Think you have to give him the low down on what the car has and he will make it. :lol:

Back