• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What oil are you guys running?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Only a couple weeks from taking delivery of the Runner project. Gary took her for a spin around his shop today and he said that she is a puller. In any event, I still have the break-in oil that we used for the dyno pulls in her. I want to change the oil before she comes home. What are you guys running? Is there a special HP oil I should use? I'm in Florida.

Thanks,

John

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
As was recommended I have Rotella R15w40 in my car.
The good stuff has been pretty much removed from Rotella, be careful
Well, for FWIW, the car had this oil in it for the trip to Carlisle, and 650 miles later there are no signs of trouble. So far at least!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
As was recommended I have Rotella R15w40 in my car.
The good stuff has been pretty much removed from Rotella, be careful
Well, for FWIW, the car had this oil in it for the trip to Carlisle, and 650 miles later there are no signs of trouble. So far at least!

Steve - Bob is right. Unless you have a case of Rotella that is a several years old (I have some old stuff stashed in the garage that was purchased just as they started f'n it up) the good stuff has been removed. You should add a bottle of Red Line Break-In additive (or similar) to protect those cam lobes and your fuel pump push rod. Cheap insurance. You won't regret it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
"Bob is right", I like the sound of that Ray. Now if I could only get the Mrs. on board with that :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
"Bob is right", I like the sound of that Ray. Now if I could only get the Mrs. on board with that :lmao:

You've got a better chance of winning the Powerball... :basketcase:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
As was recommended I have Rotella R15w40 in my car.[/quote]
The good stuff has been pretty much removed from Rotella, be careful[/quote]
Well, for FWIW, the car had this oil in it for the trip to Carlisle, and 650 miles later there are no signs of trouble. So far at least![/quote]

Steve - Bob is right. Unless you have a case of Rotella that is a several years old (I have some old stuff stashed in the garage that was purchased just as they started f'n it up) the good stuff has been removed. You should add a bottle of Red Line Break-In additive (or similar) to protect those cam lobes and your fuel pump push rod. Cheap insurance. You won't regret it.[/quote]
Thanks for the info guys, I'll do that! If that is the case though, I wonder why the mechanic I have trusted with my bird would recommend it. :huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
If that is the case though, I wonder why the mechanic I have trusted with my bird would recommend it. :huh:

Because as an oil used primarily in big trucks it was one of the last ones to be robbed of its zinc. As such it became one of the "go-to" oils at a time when it was becoming hard to find oil w/ zinc. Even when I bought some to put on the shelf about 4-5 years ago (I think it was about 4-5 years ago...time flies...) you had to look at the containers to verify that you weren't getting screwed... He probably just doesn't know that it too fell victim to the zinc guillotine... :cents:

Jim S.

Reaction score
The old "good" Shell Rotella had a CI-4 rating. The newer "less zinc" Shell Rotella has a CJ-4 rating.
I have only 5 quarts left of the old Rotella stuff so, after next spring I'll have to use a additive also. Or I could re-finance the house and start buying the new Amsoil Z-Rod oil.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:
If that is the case though, I wonder why the mechanic I have trusted with my bird would recommend it. :huh:

Because as an oil used primarily in big trucks it was one of the last ones to be robbed of its zinc. As such it became one of the "go-to" oils at a time when it was becoming hard to find oil w/ zinc. Even when I bought some to put on the shelf about 4-5 years ago (I think it was about 4-5 years ago...time flies...) you had to look at the containers to verify that you weren't getting screwed... He probably just doesn't know that it too fell victim to the zinc guillotine... :cents:
Thanks Ray!

CompSyn

Reaction score
I don't personally use Rotella products but wouldn't hesitate in using them if my oil of choice was not available. Yes the older CI-4 diesel oils had a kick more ZDDP than the newer CJ-4 oils but they are still around 1200ppm and incorporate other ant-wear additives like for example, moly.

Here's some recent VOA data: Rotella T6 5W-40 (CJ-4) Full Synthetic - manufactured 01/27/12

Molybdenium 62ppm
Phosphorus 1123ppm
Zinc 1257ppm

Found here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2566898#Post2566898

For a hot street car, that's a capable additive package as is with no need to additize further.

I also highly recommend the 5W-40 Fully Synthetic over the 15W-40 conventional as well. Read more here: http://www-static.shell.com/static/...ts_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t6.pdf

Also a word on using motor oil that's been stored for more than 4-years:

"The shelf-life on properly stored, unopened motor oil is 4 years, After that time, the oil should be properly disposed of at an oil recycle location."

Doug Hund

Shell Lubricants
Business to Business Account Manager
700 Milam, Suite #18016
Houston, TX 77002
doug.hund@shell.com
Off - (713) 546-4498
Cell - (713) 398-6510
Fax - (713) 217-3439

fugges

Reaction score
I use Valvoline Racing Oil 20W50.
On of the best you can spend your old engine!

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I am looking to use Amsoil because it has a higher Zinc content. I have always used Valvoline in the past but, after check the zinc levels Valvoline is one of the lowest on the market.

Back