• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What oil are you guys running?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CompSyn said:
Also a word on using motor oil that's been stored for more than 4-years:

"The shelf-life on properly stored, unopened motor oil is 4 years, After that time, the oil should be properly disposed of at an oil recycle location."

Doug Hund

Shell Lubricants
Business to Business Account Manager
700 Milam, Suite #18016
Houston, TX 77002
doug.hund@shell.com
Off - (713) 546-4498
Cell - (713) 398-6510
Fax - (713) 217-3439

So says a Business Account Manager for Shell...what do you expect him to say???..."This stuff last 65 million years if properly stored." :lol: :lol: :lol: Hard for him to sell more oil if we're all using stuff that we stashed on the shelf. While I'm sure it does degrade over time - and I'll bet the house it isn't 4 years - It's not like we're talking about milk. Think about it.

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
CompSyn said:

"The shelf-life on properly stored, unopened motor oil is 4 years, After that time, the oil should be properly disposed of at an oil recycle location."

Doug Hund

Shell Lubricants
700 Milam, Suite #18016
Houston, TX 77002
doug.hund@shell.com
Off - (713) 546-4498
Cell - (713) 398-6510
Fax - (713) 217-3439

So says a Business Account Manager for Shell...what do you expect him to say???..."This stuff last 65 million years if properly stored." :lol: :lol: :lol: Hard for him to sell more oil if we're all using stuff that we stashed on the shelf. While I'm sure it does degrade over time - and I'll bet the house it isn't 4 years - It's not like we're talking about milk. Think about it.

I keep mine in the fridge next to the milk :acme: :jester:

CompSyn

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
CompSyn said:

Doug Hund

Shell Lubricants
700 Milam, Suite #18016
Houston, TX 77002
doug.hund@shell.com
Off - (713) 546-4498
Cell - (713) 398-6510
Fax - (713) 217-3439

It's not just Shell. The industry accepted length of time motor oil can be properly stored is somewhere between 3-to-5 years.

For more information see also: http://www.amsoil.com//techservicesbulletin/Other/TSB OT-2005-11-21 Storage and Handling.pdf

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CompSyn said:
It's not just Shell. The industry accepted length of time motor oil can be properly stored is somewhere between 3-to-5 years.

Industry standard. OK. Similar companies with similar objectives - sell more product & limit liability - which is irrefutable as this is the nature of business - telling us that 2 + 2 now = 4.5 because that is what is in their best interest. If the automotive industry presents a unified front and tells us all that the radiators in our new 2013 model cars need to be replaced after 3 years or 36K miles then this becomes an industry standard. Doesn't make it true, now does it? And yet it becomes an accepted industry standard. And they don't have to collude; one company makes a move, the others see it as good for them too, and they all follow. As someone that does sales/marketing for a manufacturing company I can tell you that there is the shelf life that is advertised and there is the actual shelf life of a product. The two usually have little in common time-wise, and sometimes for good reason i.e. the manufacturer's inability to control the consumer's storage conditions. But most of the time it just goes back to my statement about the inherent objective of companies - their primary objective is to sell more product. Have you ever heard the CEO of any company tell his shareholders that they are planning to reduce the forecast because they just sold too much product last year? Uh, no. I live this every day; hence my well-founded skepticism.

moparchris

Reaction score
Good point Ray I agree whole heartedly. I think its hillarious that a can of beans now has an expiration date one year from canning. As if for the 100 years we had cans of beans going bad but we still ate them. Its a perfect way to sell more beans, Brilliant!

CompSyn

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
CompSyn said:

Industry standard. OK. Similar companies with similar objectives - sell more product & limit liability - which is irrefutable as this is the nature of business - telling us that 2 + 2 now = 4.5 because that is what is in their best interest. If the automotive industry presents a unified front and tells us all that the radiators in our new 2013 model cars need to be replaced after 3 years or 36K miles then this becomes an industry standard. Doesn't make it true, now does it? And yet it becomes an accepted industry standard. And they don't have to collude; one company makes a move, the others see it as good for them too, and they all follow. As someone that does sales/marketing for a manufacturing company I can tell you that there is the shelf life that is advertised and there is the actual shelf life of a product. The two usually have little in common time-wise, and sometimes for good reason i.e. the manufacturer's inability to control the consumer's storage conditions. But most of the time it just goes back to my statement about the inherent objective of companies - their primary objective is to sell more product. Have you ever heard the CEO of any company tell his shareholders that they are planning to reduce the forecast because they just sold too much product last year? Uh, no. I live this every day; hence my well-founded skepticism.

Being skeptical, that's a great quality to have for sure.

A couple other things to consider...

Notice the provided AMSOIL TSB link references the [Noria Corporation] training DVD.

Noria Corporation, NOT a producer or marketer of lubricants:

"Noria helps companies enable reliability through better lubrication processes. Over the past 15 years, our approach has changed how organizations manage and monitor lubricants for maintaining optimum reliability and safety. We are the trusted advisor to the world’s leading organizations."

This topic usually does hit a nerve with some.

Folks, if you really must use old outdated motor oil, at the very least prove it's still suitable for use by having it analyzed by an accredited lab. You've invested a lot of time and money in your car, it's cheap insurance.

As everyone is well aware, there have been and continue to be numerous flat-tappet cam failures linked to among other things break-in procedures, type of motor oil used, lifter quality, metallurgy, etc. Got to wonder if the use of old degraded motor oil could be added to the list as well?

:cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
O.K. I've had it. I'm going to drink my 7 year old oil just to prove it is alright..... :lol:
Oily to bed oily to rise :basketcase: :cheers:

CompSyn

Reaction score
There's also Petroleum Quality Institute of America, again not a producer or marketer of lubricants...

"PQIA is an independent resource for information and insights on the quality of lubricants in the marketplace.

The mission of the organization is to educate and serve consumers of commercial, consumer, and industrial lubricants by monitoring and reporting on the quality of lubricants in the marketplace. PQIA's Guiding Principle is honesty, integrity and openness.

Educational in nature, PQIA conducts independent testing of lubricants in the market and provides consumers and end users with the data they need to make informed decisions about the quality of lubricants they purchase and use. PQIA’s Website, quality seminars, newsletter, and other distinguished programs provide access to the objective and pragmatic information consumer and end users need to assess lubricant quality."

A lot of good stuff coming out of PQIA. Here's a couple notible articles :

Are You Running Your Car on Cake and Cola?

"Although your car can run on obsolete oil for a period of time and will not likely break down on the road, nor burst into flames as a result of its use, over time it will suffer a premature dealth and cost you plenty in repairs along the way". - Full article link
HERE

AND

Are 4 Percent of 'Good' Oils Bad?

"Twenty samples showed significant deviations, including low calcium, high phosphorus, low additive treat overall, and unacceptable MRV-yield stress test and 30 pass shear stability test results. Seventeen of the samples with significant deviations were packaged oils while only three were bulk." - Full article link HERE

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Good point Ray I agree whole heartedly. I think its hillarious that a can of beans now has an expiration date one year from canning. As if for the 100 years we had cans of beans going bad but we still ate them. Its a perfect way to sell more beans, Brilliant!

did someone say beans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

Back