• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is your Bird from?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mine was out of the Lynch Rd plant as a special order through Karl Gould Chrysler Plymouth in Vestal NY. The original owner moved from NY to Ohio and then two doors down from me in AZ. Where it took 20 years of waiting and talking to get it! But not to the point of being a pest :yesnod:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lynch Road also - all of the A12 cars were produced there - Just FYI.

The history of my car can only be traced back to 1976 at this point. Purchased off of a used car lot in Fort Worth, TX at that point. I am only the third owner in the ensuing 32 years, but what it went through prior to that is anybody's guess...

Good idea for a thread, Mr. Hemibeep. This should generate some entertaining comments and stories!
:thumbsup:

Ray

dobie

Reaction score
Another Lynch Road car here. The previous owner stated he brought the car up from either N. or S. Carolina about 8 years ago by now. I have the fender tag, but nothing else. I wish there was a way to trace it back from him.

6t9runner440

Reaction score
St. louis car here....I know the car was originally sold in minnesota according to the guy i bought it from...it's believable because it had a block heater inline on the lower hose...The person i got the car from was going to try and contact the person he bought the car from but so far no luck...i've kinda given up....wanted to send some pics...one little tid bit i heard about the st louis cars is there is one or two dents on the firewall close to the cowl on the passenger side....appaently when the car left the line it was hit there with a ball peen hammer...one dent first shift...two dents second shift...mine has the one dent....any one know if this is true...any other st louis cars out there :popcorn:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Add my car to the Lynch road list and it came from New Jersey to the dealer I bought it from. There is no build sheet. I have a title with the last owners name so I wrote to him but never received a reply. And of course '69 is one of the years that Chrysler Historical has no records on.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Another Lynch Road A12 and I don't have the build sheet for mine, but from what I've been able to piece together, it was bought new out of Nastri Chry-Ply in Weedsport, NY (near Syracuse). The car was then traded to a Chevy dealer in the same area a year later.

The second owner had it for years. A guy I know found it and him and his brother went to pick it up. While digging it out of the snow bank, his brother (Larry) went in and made a deal with the owner and bought it out from under him!

Larry sold it to my friend Dave. Dave has owned 4 A12 cars in his time and still has a Rallye green Dodge A12. I bought it from Dave in 1979.

Interesting about Hemibeep's car coming out of Vestal. That's near Binghamton, NY and I was about 25 miles or so north of there today in Greene, NY working at the Raymond fork truck factory.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Mine is a Lynch Rd car. It was sold at a dealership in Louisiana to my knowledge. The first owner was the father of a friend of my dad. The guy sold it to his son in 1976, who then turned around and sold it to my dad a few months later for $300. :banana:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
St Louis here. I got mine near Detroit. The guy I got it from had it 3-4 years. The guy he got it from had it less than six months. The owner before him had it a at least 10 years, have alot of recipts with his name. even have an address from him, but I haven't had any luck contacting him, and whitepages.com doesn't list a phone#, and the one I found belongs to someone else. And of course, all new interior means no broadcast sheet.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I KNEW this would be a cool thread! I just love finding out the history associated with the cars - or even the lack thereof in some cases. They're all unique!

:jester:
Ray

mac

What ?
Reaction score
lynch rd. bought car off an online ad in 2003. at the time i didn't know if this would be "the car" to put together, but it had alot of the goodies i was looking for (440 engine 6 bbbl carbs, dana rear, 4 speed). so off i went to the great white north (canada) for what i saw it as, a rescue mission. needed a lot of sheet metal and i took the opportunity to learn hands on. it is not a perfect restoration, but knowing i did alot myself feels pretty good. the only item i did not include on the resto is the black painted roof.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine sort came off of e bay. the fire dept wasn't even here the morning of the fire, and my youngest daughter got on ebay looking for another
road runner. I did have to tell here not to bother with ads that said "Hemi"
or "Superbird". After a solid month of living on the comp looking, and scouring auto traders, I was sick of looking. I had looked at mine, but the seller had pics of the car with red velour seats,which with the yellow paint looked like......crap. I e mailed the seller a question about the car, then forgot about it. a couple weeks later I got an email from the seller saying the high bidder had backed out, and would i be interested. He sent along a bunch of pics, including ones of the completly new interior he had just put in. I was hoping for a Green car, drivable, as complete as possibe, and a 4 speed. This one was an original F8,has the 4 speed, and was driveable, so we loaded up the truck and went to Michigan.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
the only item i did not include on the resto is the black painted roof.

Mac:

Love the color combo on your car. I wouldn't have painted the roof black either... Nicely done.

As for the drivetrain, did you take any liberties there or is she a bone-stock A12? Just curious if you went the stock cam/ignition/exhaust manifold route... My car currently has a '70 440-4 big rod engine in it and I'm trying to decide what to do for it engine-wise. I have a dated coded '69 block that I'll use but cannot decide on a stock or hotter cam, std. stroke or long-armed crank, manifolds or headers, etc. Since I don't have a Prestolite so I'm not currently wrestling with that decision... At this point the block, 906 heads, and the intake & carbs are the only certainty...
:D
Ray

John69RR

Reaction score
Mine is a St. Louis car. I bought it in April of 1989 from a guy who said his wife was tired of him spending money on it. I traced it back from him to a family in Port Lavaca, Texas that bought it off a lot in Halletsville, Texas. Their son used the car as transportation during high school. If I remember correctly this family bought it in the early 80's. The build sheet in the car belonged to another with the same options as mine. I'll have to look and see how close the numbers were together. The car was R4, with the black vinyl top, buckets and 4-speed console. Bigjohn, I'm familiar with the Raymond plant. After graduating trade school in 1977, I took a job with the Raymond dealer in Cleveland, Ohio. We were sent to the factory for 2 weeks to be trained and certified. Greene is a nice place. FYI, Raymond got its start by making cannonballs . I can't remember if it was during the Civil War or earlier.

Big John

Reaction score
I didn't know that about Raymond. Its an interesting place, I didn't know that they made that many different types of fork lifts.

BTW, they are owned by Toyota now. I heard it was a real culture shock for those guys, especially the old timers, but they say its been really good for the factory.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the VIN on mine in awhile so I forget where it came from. Have to look soon.

I got it in Rochester, NY. It was listed on the bay but didn't sell. I saved the number and called about 6 months later. The guy was willing to deal a little from his ebay price so me and a buddy loaded up and went up there. I drove it and knew without a doubt that it was the closest thing to a factory driving car I had ever sat in.

I brought it home, drove a bit and decided that to drive that much I needed to increase the MPGs a bit. I took off the fixed fan and installed an electric. It seemed to help the gas mileage quite a bit, especially after I forgot to turn it on and cooked the 440.

I dug around and found some original owner paperwork in the glovebox. It was sold new in PA. It was tan then. Pretty sure the color change happened in the 90s, which is great because white is hard to find on a Mopar and is what I want. I think it had been in NY for a long time when I got it. It still has a bunch of NY Mopar club stickers on the windows.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mac said:
the only item i did not include on the resto is the black painted roof.

Mac:

Love the color combo on your car. I wouldn't have painted the roof black either... Nicely done.

As for the drivetrain, did you take any liberties there or is she a bone-stock A12? Just curious if you went the stock cam/ignition/exhaust manifold route... My car currently has a '70 440-4 big rod engine in it and I'm trying to decide what to do for it engine-wise. I have a dated coded '69 block that I'll use but cannot decide on a stock or hotter cam, std. stroke or long-armed crank, manifolds or headers, etc. Since I don't have a Prestolite so I'm not currently wrestling with that decision... At this point the block, 906 heads, and the intake & carbs are the only certainty...
:D
Ray

car is a 383 car but i went with the A-12 theme. the color is the original T-5. it has a 72 440 block, 452 heads with a 67 forged crank. the carbs and intake are date correct. i am running stock exhaust manifolds with a 2.5 TTI system. big bonus is that someone put a dana in it and i am running 3:54 gears. the cam is a lunati with a 494 intake and 513 exh. love the way it looks and the way it sounds at idle, but still not satisfied with performance. doesn't have the low end grunt i think it should have.

Big John

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I haven't looked at the VIN on mine in awhile so I forget where it came from. Have to look soon.

I got it in Rochester, NY. It was listed on the bay but didn't sell. I saved the number and called about 6 months later. The guy was willing to deal a little from his ebay price so me and a buddy loaded up and went up there. I drove it and knew without a doubt that it was the closest thing to a factory driving car I had ever sat in.

I brought it home, drove a bit and decided that to drive that much I needed to increase the MPGs a bit. I took off the fixed fan and installed an electric. It seemed to help the gas mileage quite a bit, especially after I forgot to turn it on and cooked the 440.

I dug around and found some original owner paperwork in the glovebox. It was sold new in PA. It was tan then. Pretty sure the color change happened in the 90s, which is great because white is hard to find on a Mopar and is what I want. I think it had been in NY for a long time when I got it. It still has a bunch of NY Mopar club stickers on the windows.

Central New York Mopar? Western New York? That would be the two clubs.

Do you remember the guy's name?

Back