• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is your Bird from?

69bbeep

Reaction score
Hello guys, this my first post since moving over from the other site. My car originally came from the L.A. California plant. Apparently, the car stayed in Texas until 2003.The man I bought the car from had bought it off e-bay.
Mike (aka- mcb from the other site)

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hey bbeep, good to have you back, don't be a stranger. I didn't think to mention on my car that I originally saw it on the ebay offered by a dealer in Ma. about 2 hours away. After it didn't meet reserve for the second time I called the guy for a price. After several trips out there to look it over and check that it was a true RM car, I bought it. Another factor was the it was a turn key car. Yeah, I wanted the instant satisfaction of getting in, turn the key, and off I go. And after hearing all the horror stories of the cars in restoration well, that just reinforced the idea. The only regret is not having the control of who ever did the repaint. They didn't take much car in getting the F5 limelight green shade correct. The correct shade is still in the trunk and engine compartment so you can really see the difference of how far off it is. Maybe someday if I can find the money I'll take care of it, maybe.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Big John said:
SomeCarGuy said:
I haven't looked at the VIN on mine in awhile so I forget where it came from. Have to look soon.

I got it in Rochester, NY. It was listed on the bay but didn't sell. I saved the number and called about 6 months later. The guy was willing to deal a little from his ebay price so me and a buddy loaded up and went up there. I drove it and knew without a doubt that it was the closest thing to a factory driving car I had ever sat in.

I brought it home, drove a bit and decided that to drive that much I needed to increase the MPGs a bit. I took off the fixed fan and installed an electric. It seemed to help the gas mileage quite a bit, especially after I forgot to turn it on and cooked the 440.

I dug around and found some original owner paperwork in the glovebox. It was sold new in PA. It was tan then. Pretty sure the color change happened in the 90s, which is great because white is hard to find on a Mopar and is what I want. I think it had been in NY for a long time when I got it. It still has a bunch of NY Mopar club stickers on the windows.

Central New York Mopar? Western New York? That would be the two clubs.

Do you remember the guy's name?

Western NY.
I think his name was Ron.
Nice fella, he sold this one to redo a real bucket. Another 69. It looked to be factory red, but man it was rough. He said it was a numbers car so it was worth doing. I gladly took his mostly done car. I told him he was crazy to get shed of a car needing not much to be back right, like a new seat cover.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
car is a 383 car but i went with the A-12 theme. the color is the original T-5. it has a 72 440 block, 452 heads with a 67 forged crank. the carbs and intake are date correct. i am running stock exhaust manifolds with a 2.5 TTI system. big bonus is that someone put a dana in it and i am running 3:54 gears. the cam is a lunati with a 494 intake and 513 exh. love the way it looks and the way it sounds at idle, but still not satisfied with performance. doesn't have the low end grunt i think it should have.

Sounds sweet! Is the compression ratio (in conjunction with your cam) a possible culprit on the low end grunt issue? You could always throw in a set of 4:10's (also completes that A12 theme) in the rear and it would probably no longer be an issue... :jester:

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
The only regret is not having the control of who ever did the repaint. They didn't take much car in getting the F5 limelight green shade correct. The correct shade is still in the trunk and engine compartment so you can really see the difference of how far off it is. Maybe someday if I can find the money I'll take care of it, maybe.

This is the kind of stuff that usually only drives the owner of the vehicle crazy...from the pictures that I have seen it looks beautiful.
:thumbsup:
Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This is fun! I have to sour my story a little with the fact that the owner had 30 plus cats that had full run of the car in the garage! :puke:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I really wish I had more info on my car. There's no build sheet and at the time didn't really ask the seller any questions on the car's history. He had a second 69 Runner in white that was in nicer condition and kept mine at his mothers house in a senior citizen complex called "Leisure Town" LOL, that's where I bought the car.

He called me a few years later and asked if I still had it because he wanted to buy it back. Apparently he sold the white one and was having trouble finding another. I told him I'd trade him if he can come up with a silver 67 GTX in the same condition as the Runner... luckily he never did, because I really love my Runner!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
This is fun! I have to sour my story a little with the fact that the owner had 30 plus cats that had full run of the car in the garage! :puke:

I told you that you had initiated a great thread!!!

Are you slyly telling us that that your car might have given off a bit of "ammonia aroma" when you brought her home... :haha:

Reminds me of picking up my buddy's AAR when he bought it. I mentioned this in another thread when I got myself in trouble with Basketcase for referencing F8 "Coronet Station Wagon green"... :D Anyway, this distressed AAR had sat behind a body shop for YEARS prior to us dragging it out of there...when we began cleaning it out it became quickly apparent that this thing had become somebody's (or perhaps even several somebodies') home...AND THE STENCH WAS UNBEARABLE... Maybe THAT is why I am not such a fan of Coronet Station Wagon Green... :ack:

:jester:
Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
I really wish I had more info on my car. There's no build sheet and at the time didn't really ask the seller any questions on the car's history. He had a second 69 Runner in white that was in nicer condition and kept mine at his mothers house in a senior citizen complex called "Leisure Town" LOL, that's where I bought the car.

He called me a few years later and asked if I still had it because he wanted to buy it back. Apparently he sold the white one and was having trouble finding another. I told him I'd trade him if he can come up with a silver 67 GTX in the same condition as the Runner... luckily he never did, because I really love my Runner!
The history starts with you! :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I told you that you had initiated a great thread!!!

Are you slyly telling us that that your car might have given off a bit of "ammonia aroma" when you brought her home... :haha:

Reminds me of picking up my buddy's AAR when he bought it. I mentioned this in another thread when I got myself in trouble with Basketcase for referencing F8 "Coronet Station Wagon green"... :D Anyway, this distressed AAR had sat behind a body shop for YEARS prior to us dragging it out of there...when we began cleaning it out it became quickly apparent that this thing had become somebody's (or perhaps even several somebodies') home...AND THE STENCH WAS UNBEARABLE... Maybe THAT is why I am not such a fan of Coronet Station Wagon Green... :ack:

:jester:
Ray
Between the cats and the old gas that started seaping out of the bottom of the tank you could smell it before you saw it :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:

Have you posted any pictures of your car on here? I don't recall seeing any - but haven't scoured every post looking either... I know it's R4 - but don't know much else. Please share some details...
:yesnod:
Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you posted any pictures of your car on here? I don't recall seeing any - but haven't scoured every post looking either... I know it's R4 - but don't know much else. Please share some details...
:yesnod:
Ray

Disregard. Found pics in the "Show us your cars..." thread. NICE, NICE, NICE! I dig the poverty caps - I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THAT LOOK. Even when I was a kid and it wasn't "cool"...
Ray

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I love em too. If I HAD to choose an aftermarket wheel, I'd never be able to pick one.... there's just too many nice ones to choose from out there, so I stick with what works. Besides, around here, I'm usually the only guy at shows with poverty caps.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:
The only regret is not having the control of who ever did the repaint. They didn't take much car in getting the F5 limelight green shade correct. The correct shade is still in the trunk and engine compartment so you can really see the difference of how far off it is. Maybe someday if I can find the money I'll take care of it, maybe.

This is the kind of stuff that usually only drives the owner of the vehicle crazy...from the pictures that I have seen it looks beautiful.
Ray
Thanks Ray, and you're right, it does drive me crazy. When I first looked at the car I knew that it had a good paint job on it. But I wasn't familiar with that the correct shade of F5 was and found out when I tried getting touch up paint that it didn't match what was on the car. But I have since discoverd that the original shade is still in the trunk area, and engine compartment. So if the day comes that I can correct the paint I have something to use to match it to.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Here's my F5 story. About 1983, I saw this 383 Roadrunner parked up the street from my parents' house. It was a real clean car with North Carolina plates on it. I saw it a few more times and then it disappeared.

The next time I saw it, it was being towed into my buddy's shop with the front end wrecked. The car had been drien through a chain link fence and my buddy bought it cheap. Next thing I knew... I was negotiating the purchase.

It needed a windshield, hood, grille and bumpers. I had the grille and bumper and we found a hood for it. I think we bought the windshield new.

I gotta get the snow in the driveway cleared out now and get to work, so I'll finish this story later.

scan0002.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if that was a post car, it'd be what my car should look like.
Hey Big, how's the work on your comming?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My car is coming slow. The cold weather cuts down my motiation and I've been working out of town a lot lately.

I didn't finish my story because I had to clean the 8" of snow off the driveway.... Worst part is the snowblower broke about halfway through. Arrrggggg :brickwall: The prognosis is terminal. I just dropped $1000 tonight on the way home for a new one. So much for buying a new TV for Christmas.

Anyway... We put the F5 car back together and my buddy's brother was gonna paint it. I saw it the next day and it was F8! He had read the wrong paint code... The one for the interior paint was F8.

So... he repainted it... this time, the paint store screwed up and the car was Cheby truck green. :ack:

I went to another friends shop and bought the right paint this time and it turned out nice... but there was a ton of lacquer paint on the car. We did the hood stripes and they really set the car off.

The thick paint came back to haunt me when it started chipping on the "Dutchman" panel. I started to fix it but time and money just weren't there and I got an offer on the car and I took it. The check was numbered "69383" so I figured it was right thing to do.

He said he would let me know if he wanted to sell it... I saw him and he said he was thinking about it.... I knew sommeone that wanted it (and I wanted him to have it) and I tried to call him the next day but he never called back. He sold it to another guy that painted it again... F8!!

I miss that car... it did everything right. Matching numbers.. automatic with buckets and console. It even had the original red line spare tire.

shadowtrain

Reaction score
Mine is a Lynch Road, Michigan also (......9A.....), interesting too as it was purchased "new" in Saskatchewan, Canada by the previous owner who worked as the parts man for the Chrysler dealership which had the car/used it as an owner demo for over a year (bill of sale is 1970). I am the 2nd owner. He told me it had 1009 miles on it when he bought it. One thing is the previous owner never found or saw the build sheet inside the car and I have looked in the usual places (under seats/carpets).

I see on a previous post that the build sheet may be in the headliner? Can anyone advise?

...we are now in official Farenheit meets Celcius mode...-35F=-35C!

Back