• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Transmission

Mateya

Reaction score
My car originally had a 4 speed. Question is do I keep that or install a 6 speed to make the car more driver friendly. In the end I want my car to be a fun driver and want to be able to have a nice quick start from 0 but also be able to cruise down a highway at 70+ with no problems. I know there are a lot more factors that go into this but wanted to see what other people have done in this case.

quikbird

Reaction score
I agree, gear vendor probably would be about half the cost of changing to either a manual 6 speed or a new 6 speed automatic

Mateya

Reaction score
Stupid question but what is gear vendor? I think I found the website but its not very good.

quikbird

Reaction score
Gear vendor is a company that makes overdrive transmissions that fit behind your existing tranny and give you the extra gears that let you drive comfortably on the freeway or the drag strip. They are very tough and fairly simple to install.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
With the gear vendor you will have to shorten the drive shaft. That is the only change I see you will have to make. Just to say they are not cheap. Think this is the way to go. If you get a 5 speed transmission Their are adjustment's to the tunnel and the shifter sit's more center in the long run to many changes I think. Like Quick bird said they have used them in the X car's and tested the gear vendor's. The hold up well. It works with an Electric switch in side the car. Their is a video of them using it on the highway. To show the difference in the RPM on the motor. But the kicker is the price is up their. :beep:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
My car originally had a 4 speed. Question is do I keep that or install a 6 speed to make the car more driver friendly. In the end I want my car to be a fun driver and want to be able to have a nice quick start from 0 but also be able to cruise down a highway at 70+ with no problems. I know there are a lot more factors that go into this but wanted to see what other people have done in this case.
I like the look and feel of the 4 speed, so I am gonna go the gearvendors OD route. But if you want a little lower revs on the highway, try a slightly taller tire. I dropped about 400rpm @ 70mph by going up to a 275/-60 R15. Been searching for the ghost that is the 285/70 R15 that BFG used to make, will give you 29 inches in a street tire.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
I like the look and feel of the 4 speed, so I am gonna go the gearvendors OD route. But if you want a little lower revs on the highway, try a slightly taller tire. I dropped about 400rpm @ 70mph by going up to a 275/-60 R15. Been searching for the ghost that is the 285/70 R15 that BFG used to make, will give you 29 inches in a street tire.
I have a Gear Vendor in my 69 Road Runner. The transmission is a B&M 727 and the setup is fantastic. It is actually referred to as an Under/Overdrive system and is manufactured in El Cajon, California with all USA parts... where you can just use it as a standard overdrive with 1st; 2nd; drive, and overdrive, or switch to manual pushbutton and it goes from 1st, then between 1st and 2nd, then 2nd, then between 2nd and 3rd, then 4th (or overdrive) - it splits the gears resulting is six forward gears and makes for an amazing ET and launch, plus is just plain fun to drive. I also switched from 3.91 rear gears to 3.23 and with this system, the launch is terrific and I can easily cruise at 70(+) and keep it below 3000 rpms - much less stress on the entire drivetrain!!! I also dumped the sure grip for an Eton Detroit Locker Truetrac which is more than amazing, and there is absolutely no maintenance or additives required.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I am sold on the gear vendor but will be a while before I get one. Question is did you install it or have it done. I have read that the drive shaft has to be shortened. How did the install go was it hard or easy. Thank you for the info. Russ.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I am sold on the gear vendor but will be a while before I get one. Question is did you install it or have it done. I have read that the drive shaft has to be shortened. How did the install go was it hard or easy. Thank you for the info. Russ.
Yeah russ, drive shaft will have to be shortened, Im gonna go for a new one though, jsut incase I ever want to go back to stock, or sell the unit. Ive ordered a reco Hemi box from Passon, but he doesnt sound real keen on sending it over, to have the overdrive put on it, even though Im having it done by a pro.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to here that on Passon not wanting to send the box. The thing I am wondering about is by shorting the drive shaft what that dose to the U joint declination. I know that they are using them but have not heard of what problem's this may cause. Like I said want to put one in my car at a later date. Passion is making a over drive transmission. Their is a long waiting time for them. So hope you get your transmission and install the gear vendor. Keep us up on if any changes have to be done to body or any thing else other than shorting the drive shaft. Wish you the best want to see it working. Your friend Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is Brewer's and Passon the same company. When I typed in Brewer's it ended up being Passion so I thought.:(

Russ69Runner

Reaction score

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Sorry to here that on Passon not wanting to send the box. The thing I am wondering about is by shorting the drive shaft what that dose to the U joint declination. I know that they are using them but have not heard of what problem's this may cause. Like I said want to put one in my car at a later date. Passion is making a over drive transmission. Their is a long waiting time for them. So hope you get your transmission and install the gear vendor. Keep us up on if any changes have to be done to body or any thing else other than shorting the drive shaft. Wish you the best want to see it working. Your friend Russ.
Hey Russ, says in the Gearvendors booklet that you may need to "slightly massage" the tunnel in one spot for fitment, and you also require an auto trans crossmember, which does not come with the unit. Only moving to the Hemi box because of the engine upgrades. Lets call it "preventative maintenance". Luckily Ive got a mate who's already said he wants my 23-spline box for his VF valiant.thumbnail_Screenshot_2019-12-13-15-04-25-28.png

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So your saying that you need another cross member to support the gear vendor rite. Man that would be a hart brake having to put another piece of metal under the car's support's. Will have to give that some thought.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
So your saying that you need another cross member to support the gear vendor rite. Man that would be a hart brake having to put another piece of metal under the car's support's. Will have to give that some thought.
No you don't, it replaces the tail housing of the transmission and according to the tech people on a B-body the holes on the cross member should be elongated 1/8 inch for the unit to clear the floor

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
Very-very slight modifications, no cutting, drilling, or welding of any other pieces and no additional cross members. The driveshaft is shortened, but not that much to be concerned about... does not change anything on the rear gear alignment. I also added an adjustable rear-end rubber snubber and driveshaft loop (just to be safe). The adjustable snubber permits fine tuning of the axle movement (reducing rear twisting), and aids to the launch capabilities. Along with these modifications, I also changed a lot of suspension to significantly upgraded heavy-duty parts; replaced the upper and lower control arms with tubular A-arms and added front and rear anti-sway bars (along with a few other tubular parts)... and switched the K-member for a QA1 tubular setup, and of course subframe connectors (welded in place). The car rides and handles like a high-end sports car... no lean in cornering and drives absolutely straight. I kept the torsion bars (they are upgraded to a more heavy grade) stayed away from coil-overs or rack and pinion... wanted to maintain as much of the original Mopar look as possible. It would have actually been cheaper to go with coil-overs and rack and pinion, but that would have been just a little too much moving away from the funkiness of the undercarriage look.

Back