• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who is still working on the car?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
alot of us seem to be working on something, whether it is an upgrade on performance, or a new piece of trim to make things sparkle. i am wondering who is still restoring there project car? what part of the project on you on? replacing sheet metal, building the drivetrain, suspension, electrical. lets see what you are up to. oh, and by the way, only about 10% of the members here have listed there cars on the registry.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm still working on my cars. Mostly the Windsor, I needed a break from the Roadrunner.

I've been doing electrical, redoing the wiring harness and getting the pieces together for the 12 volt conversion. I farmed out the floor repair to a local hot rod builder. It just made sense to have someone else do the work, although I had planned to do that part myself. He's taking pictures as he works and I'll get them up when I get the car back.

The engine is still at the machine shop. I'm not in a hurry and its an old friend. He does a lot of old stuff like my flathead, but the big $$ modern stuff always takes priority. Its the old adage... good, fast, cheap.... pick two. I went with good and cheap. Probably be done this week or next.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Every time I take the runner out I find something to tweak, I'm working on cold start fast idle and choke pull off now. I'm also working on that jeep body I posted months ago, almost ready to prime. I'm also picking up parts for the 68 Valiant, looks like I'm going with a 440 girlymatic instead of the small block, that will go to the machine shop after newyears.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Once the dust settles from the Holidays I'm either going to do a new suspension and brakes on my coupe, if I have the funds. If I don't have any money I am going to put a set of power windows I have in the ragtop which I'm leaning to doing this year anyway.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
mac,

I downloaded the registry to my PC, added my stuff but then could not figure out how to attach an .xls file to a PM. So I copy/pasted the info as a string (space separated) and sent as a PM. Maybe others aren't sure either? :huh:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
mac,

I downloaded the registry to my PC, added my stuff but then could not figure out how to attach an .xls file to a PM. So I copy/pasted the info as a string (space separated) and sent as a PM. Maybe others aren't sure either? :huh:

probably right. the registry is viewable only. members can not enter or edit the regisrty. the info must be PM to me and then i will edit and send off to bigjohn to post. sorry for the confusion.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Cam/lifter swap is on the agenda sometime this spring, once it warms up around here - it will be into the high 20's tonight. From there it will be tuning the combo and getting it running just right. While I'm doing that I will also be replacing engine/trans mounts and the throwout bearing. I'll probably drop the exhaust system and re-align the pipes, etc. I seem to have a tail pipe hitting the frame or something. Maybe I'll also remove the shifter and soak the shifter assembly (w/out the shift handle) in some Evapo-Rust to get rid of the accumulated rust that is all over it. Then I can coat it with some POR Metal Mask for that like-new finish.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
got to finish stripping the hood and driver side rocker the put it all in etching primer.fix the rear window and anything on the rocker. work on the body work.and get ready for paint.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Working on the new wiring harnesses front to rear,got the new brakes and components all done along with the 3rd member,rebuilt the front end.

Hope to have the engine/tranny in next couple months or when the 2 sons can get over to the house.

Only big item that needs tobe done is the heater box.

I try to work on it as much as I can but my back and legs tells me when to stop.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've been gathering parts for the Formula "S". Last week I installed a new exhaust system from Accurate Exhaust. Good thing too. I guess the last time the P.O. replaced it they wanted to save money because they saw fit to install a 2" system instead if the 2 1/2" that it should have!
:brickwall: That system wasn't so accurate either as it was almost 6" too long. But a cut here and a cut there, i made it fit, and with no leaks either!! Also I found the correct Carter carb which I will be sending out to be rebuilt! Anyone know where I can get a small block, (273,) choke thermostat? Haven't been able to find one yet.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I've been gathering parts for the Formula "S". Last week I installed a new exhaust system from Accurate Exhaust. Good thing too. I guess the last time the P.O. replaced it they wanted to save money because they saw fit to install a 2" system instead if the 2 1/2" that it should have!
:brickwall: That system wasn't so accurate either as it was almost 6" too long. But a cut here and a cut there, i made it fit, and with no leaks either!! Also I found the correct Carter carb which I will be sending out to be rebuilt! Anyone know where I can get a small block, (273,) choke thermostat? Haven't been able to find one yet.
I got the full system for my car and it fit like a glove :yesnod:

mannye

Reaction score
I am always working on the car... Last weekend I replaced the hinge covers on the buckets and I just got the kick panels which I am taking to a car audio shop so they can modify them and install speakers for my hidden audio system.

Then after (if) I get my new gig, it will be off to central Florida to have the Classic Air people install a/c (I don't trust anyone in Dade County to do it).

Then next year (if I am lucky) I will install disc brakes, A-Arms and biggern anti-roll bars so I can drive the thing as a daily driver or at least have the option.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
same here on to many projects around the house but am looking to do up a new/more better 6 pk hood with light weight springed hinges/also drag radial dot slicks for the street/instead of burning rubber i will be gone/clean up some re-wiring under the dash :D

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been tinkering with the Swinger a bit...finally got the electric choke and the fast idle cam dialed in and working properly...just one of those things that I kept putting off. Same with the exhaust system - I think I told you guys about that already - passenger side tail pipe was occasionally banging on the tank and shock and drving Mrs. ACME nuts. I finally got around to putting it on the lift and finding where it was hitting.

Collecting pieces/parts for the RR whenever they pop up...recent hood acquisition attests to this...

Gonna try to tinker on the 'bu some this week...but I've got a couple of things that complicate the schedule; I have to have a CT Scan Thursday - just more follow-up to my recent cardiac exploits - and one of my closest friends/business associates passed away unexpectedly on Christmas. He was only 58. Tam & I have to go to Lake Placid on Friday for the service. Like John stated, it needs to warm up a bit down here in order to get anything done anyway...

Jim S.

Reaction score
droptop said:
I'm to cheap to heat the barn, so all I'm working on is spring. :lol:

Yeah same here, my garage and Roadrunner are frozen solid.
Sorry about your friend Ray, got to be the worst to happen on Christmas.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Sorry about your friend Ray, got to be the worst to happen on Christmas.

Thanks, Jim. He was the Sales Manager for our Distributor in Latin America based in Miami. He and I used to canvas South America together from about '95 to '07. Great guy - very funny. We would go to Brazil and he claimed to speak Portuguese - not even close - just Spanish with one or two Portuguese words thrown in - maybe... :lol: He was a private pilot and he and his wife would fly up from Kendall where they lived and land at this strip about 10 minutes from our house. He was one of the kids favorite "uncles" as they knew any time Moi came to town they were getting a plane ride. He was one of the few guys I've ever met that never took a serious beating on an investment and was able to retire early. His health had been a bit of an issue the last 6-7 years though - he had contracted Hepatitis C at some point in his travels and it eventually resulted in kidney failure and other complications. He did the best "Mudbone" imitation I've ever heard - you Richard Pryor fans know what I'm talking about. :D I'm gonna miss him.

I know that we frequently wander off-topic and it's considered "no harm-no foul" around here, but this is so far off-topic I'm just going to throw out a cursory "Sorry for the thread hi-jack" anyway...

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Jim S.":3e56r4g0]Sorry about your friend Ray, got to be the worst to happen on Christmas.

Thanks, Jim. He was the Sales Manager for our Distributor in Latin America based in Miami. He and I used to canvas South America together from about '95 to '07. Great guy - very funny. We would go to Brazil and he claimed to speak Portuguese - not even close - just Spanish with one or two Portuguese words thrown in - maybe... :lol: He was a private pilot and he and his wife would fly up from Kendall where they lived and land at this strip about 10 minutes from our house. He was one of the kids favorite "uncles" as they knew any time Moi came to town they were getting a plane ride. He was one of the few guys I've ever met that never took a serious beating on an investment and was able to retire early. His health had been a bit of an issue the last 6-7 years though - he had contracted Hepatitis C at some point in his travels and it eventually resulted in kidney failure and other complications. He did the best "Mudbone" imitation I've ever heard - you Richard Pryor fans know what I'm talking about. :D I'm gonna miss him.

I know that we frequently wander off-topic and it's considered "no harm-no foul" around here, but this is so far off-topic I'm just going to throw out a cursory "Sorry for the thread hi-jack" anyway...

Ray[/quote:3e56r4g0]
Sorry to hear about that Ray, why does it seem the good dye young?

69B5

Reaction score
Thats a good question, Mac
The Mystery Car is once again in piece's
These are things that didn't get finished last year
The steering column is out so it can be painted
The steering wheel is being restored
The interior door panels, rear side panels, and rear seats are out so I can adjust the windows
I'm going to have problems with this because, before I bought the car, of a garage roof falling on the car and bending the door posts and ruining the top. I put a new top frame on and straightened as best I could :nopity:
The rear end will be coming out to be rebuilt with 323's or 355's, and painted
I think thats about it. But are we ever really finished?
69B5

Back