• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wichita KS calling in!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the bird's nest Robin!! Looks like you found a good car there. Lookin' forward ot seeing more pics of it!

gunnar

Reaction score
Welcome from Minnesota Robin. I will be very interested in your car as I had my eye on it as well. Congrats!!

gunnar

Reaction score
That looks great. Nice car. Enjoy.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Nice! Looks like a solid car. Have fun with it and keep us posted on your restoration progress! :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
tell ya what, I'd be tempted to buff that puppy out and just have some fun withit for a while. that looks solid! wish my front bumper was that nice.and there's nothing like the sound of a big block mopar.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That looks like it will be a great project. I say clean it up best you can for now and drive it. You'll get a better idea of what it may need mechanically, then do the resto on it.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
tell ya what, I'd be tempted to buff that puppy out and just have some fun withit for a while. that looks solid! wish my front bumper was that nice.and there's nothing like the sound of a big block mopar.
x2
enjoy it a little before you tear it apart, spring is here. :drive:

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
for sure on the drive it now! needs to have the tranny pulled first, replace the flywheel or balance it to work with the 400 block, and fix the bearing thats causing that whining sound. you can press the clutch in and the whining stops, pop thinks its definitely a bearing and I agree. someone dropped a mid 70s 400cid in the bird, it runs funny, but i think i can tune it up. Need to fix the hurst linkage too, it shifts something awful and doesnt have any get up and go... :blah: but i agree totally, this car is solid minus some really bad patch work around the rear windows and some quarter panel issues. Ill get the engine/tranny working good then focus a bit on getting the interior back to original.. not to mention the KS registration and tag :ack: thanks for the compliments, Im gonna start a thread for her once i get some funds to begin some project work :)

moparchris

Reaction score
That Runner is awesome! I have been wanting to buy that one for a while but I think I would be living in it if i did. :lol: :lol: I am glad to see it in a good home. Enjoy! :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah drive the wheels off of it, before you get it all nice and shiney and don't want to worry about scratching the new paint. 'nuther reason I'm in no big hury to get mine repainted.(lack of $$too)

moparstuart

Reaction score
KS69RdRnnr said:
for sure on the drive it now! needs to have the tranny pulled first, replace the flywheel or balance it to work with the 400 block, and fix the bearing thats causing that whining sound. you can press the clutch in and the whining stops, pop thinks its definitely a bearing and I agree. someone dropped a mid 70s 400cid in the bird, it runs funny, but i think i can tune it up. Need to fix the hurst linkage too, it shifts something awful and doesnt have any get up and go... :blah: but i agree totally, this car is solid minus some really bad patch work around the rear windows and some quarter panel issues. Ill get the engine/tranny working good then focus a bit on getting the interior back to original.. not to mention the KS registration and tag :ack: thanks for the compliments, Im gonna start a thread for her once i get some funds to begin some project work :)
so is it a cast crank motor that needs the big front balancer and weighted fly wheel to make it externally balanced ???

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
it still has the 383 flywheel on it, they just tossed a 400 block in and started driving it, they didnt balance the flywheel or even pull and rebuild the transmission from what I can see. The shift linkages below the boot hole are in bad shape, everything is really clunky, cant hardly shift it either. I cant imagine how many miles they tried to put on it with such a bad vibration, its awful! :eek: First thing I'm doing is pulling the tranny and overhauling it properly! :cool: Do these even have harmonic balancers? if so it could help if I looked at that.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Make sure that it is a cast balancer.

Can't just switch them FYI. Need to be all matched.

Make sure the tranny has fluid. I drove a Charger home years ago and around a few days that had ZERO oil in it. :huh:

moparchris

Reaction score
If you get a chance take a pic of the harmonic balancer (crank pulley). I bet they swapped a complete motor into it and put a 383 internal balance flywheel from the 383. If thats the case then you just need to change the flywheel and put it back together. The balancers and flywheels all have a set amount of weight to them and any fine adjustments are done inside the motor so the flywheel and balancer are serviceable at the dealership without taking the motor apart to balance it.

Back