• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windsor Update

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I love that Chrysler tag. Made in USA!
You're right about that Dave, and the best part is that it doesn't mean it was just assembled in the USA, all the parts were made here!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The old markings are cool!

X2

Considering their age I'd say that they are VERY well preserved also... :yesnod:

Big, you'd better be careful or you're gonna end up with two old MoPars completely disassembled and on rotisseries... :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

X2

Considering their age I'd say that they are VERY well preserved also... :yesnod:

Big, you'd better be careful or you're gonna end up with two old MoPars completely disassembled and on rotisseries... :D

The idea behind the Windsor was to have a car to have some fun with.... Like anything else, it got out of hand and became a lot more work then it was supposed to be.

Its not gonna be on the rotisserie though... Its not.... really.... I promise.....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="ACME A12":1bhaxgca]
69hemibeep said:

X2

The idea behind the Windsor was to have a car to have some fun with.... Like anything else, it got out of hand and became a lot more work then it was supposed to be.

Its not gonna be on the rotisserie though... Its not.... really.... I promise.....[/quote:1bhaxgca]
Famous last words!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you don't have to promise us, just the Mrs and that dusty birdie....... :acme:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
So next month we can look forward to the video where you spin the A12 in one direction on its rotisserie and the Windsor in the opposite direction on its rotisserie...??? :lmao:

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
So next month we can look forward to the video where you spin the A12 in one direction on its rotisserie and the Windsor in the opposite direction on its rotisserie...??? :lmao:

:jester:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :wedgie:

Big John

Reaction score
The engine is out on the stand now. I bought an engine stand from the local Chinese emporium of cheap tools known as Harbor Freight. I had an old three wheeled stand that's had everything on it, including a complete 426 Hemi, but when I put the Desoto engine I bought for parts on it, the old stand really didn't like it. I think it's a combination of the weight of the flathead engine along with the length.

The new stand is 2000 lb rated, which translates from the Chinese to 1000 lbs. It also folds up and has four legs instead of three.

The disc brake kit has hit a snag though. The mounting plate is about an inch too small. I spoke with the guy that builds them and we're trying to figure it out. He wants me to send my spindles to him and he'll build the adaptors around them. Its all good.

The disc kit uses Volare rotors with GM calipers.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had one of those stands, wasn't Harbor though, they used to have tool sales at the VFW, same crap though. It would hold a fully dressed 400, but wobly. I always cribed it up under the front.
since you found your pressure problem, have your plans changed Big?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
have fun big john and watch out for your toes.....sometimes those china welders suck :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big John

Reaction score
Yea, the Chinese stand is not the best. It works but I would never put anything on it that weighed anywhere near its 2000 lb rating. As it was, I left the cherry picker hooked to while I leaned on the engine to test the stand.

That said, like many other things at Harbor Freight, you have to watch what you are buying. I'm really thinking of buying one of their cherry pickers to replace my ancient home made hoist. The huge advantage is I can buy a folding version that will take up a lot less room. When I bought my spare Desoto engine, I noticed he loaded it with a folding HF hoist. It seemed to work real nice and then folded to 1/4 the size of mine. I have to replace (or rebuild) the jack on mine and I'm thinking its might be cost effective to replace the hoist anyway especially if I can reduce its footprint.

Mine has served me well, but its very hard to move around. The base has extendable legs, but when you place them to their extended position, you can't put the legs between the front wheels of most cars. That means at least one wheel has to come off the car. That also means you can't just roll the car out from under the engine... You have to pull the cherry picker back with the engine high in the air. I never liked that, but haven't had any issues with it.

Hmmm... probably just talked myself into a new cherry picker.....

One other thing about HF... Everything is on sale at one time or another. If you want something and its not on sale, wait a month and I'll bet it is. Get on their mailing list and get their coupons online.

Big John

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I had one of those stands, wasn't Harbor though, they used to have tool sales at the VFW, same crap though. It would hold a fully dressed 400, but wobly. I always cribed it up under the front.
since you found your pressure problem, have your plans changed Big?

I'm going through with rebuilding the engine. It just makes sense to keep going. If I put the engine back in and still had an oil pressure (or other) problem, I'd be pretty upset. This car is intended to be a driver and I want it to be reliable.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i just bought a used cherry picker for 70 bucks on craigslist....needs a new ram ....leaks a little but works great

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
The huge advantage is I can buy a folding version that will take up a lot less room. When I bought my spare Desoto engine, I noticed he loaded it with a folding HF hoist. It seemed to work real nice and then folded to 1/4 the size of mine. I have to replace (or rebuild) the jack on mine and I'm thinking its might be cost effective to replace the hoist anyway especially if I can reduce its footprint.

I bought one of those folding chinese models several years ago at the Zephyrhills car show from one of those tool vendors that travel around to all of the shows. Think I paid about two bills for it IIRC. It has really worked out well. Doesn't take up any space to speak of either... :thumbsup:

Back