• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 383 original Hemi Orange engine???

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
It's all good, I talked to my Dad about it today to see what he had to say, is take on it is he bought the car for my Mom in '71 from the original owner (they had looked at new '69s but it didn't work out at the time) My dad asked about the blue motor and Holley knowing it should be orange and original owner said nothing was ever replaced or worked on. My Dad rebuilt the Holley once had no problem getting a kit the second time he put an old AFB on it that he had. My Dad's theory was that it had to do with being a blue engine or maybe something as simple as the line running out of Carters and putting a Holley, never the less he is 100% sure it came with a Holley and He's been a car guy/drag racer/restoration hound his whole life. I will post up the broadcast sheet for it and the fender tag hopefully in a few days, I will also dig around for the Holley take some pics and post numbers on it and maybe someone can confirm it as intentional or assembly line shinanagins as I'm alitle interested too. The irony is the when/if the day ever comes I get back to it the motor will be orange with a Carter carb as I like the orange and have always had great luck with the AVS's. I recently sold my motorcycle so I now have some car funding finally and look forward to freshening up a couple of my cars. :banana:
I personally like investigating this kind of thing, look forward to the broadcast sheet. Nobody is here to try an upset anyone intentionally, we just spout off about what we think we know but some have gotten a little annoyed in the past. I like rods customs and concourse, and the latter intrigues me so at times I get carried away.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the dirt... 3 pics of broadcast sheet, and one of carb. I can get a fender tag shot too if needed but I'll need another day for that, no idea on decoding them other than basic options (would be cool to have all that info on reference section)

219.jpg

220.jpg

223.jpg

Holley carb 2428 LIST 4440

228.jpg

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a cruise control car too, I think that part of the sheet is torn I think that would be on the fender tag too?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Well the carb is right for a 68-69 383 mopar with any trans........... :thumbsup: I don't have a clue on decoding the build sheet but I'm sure someone will.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My broadcast decode book shows you have a low perf auto trans and engine and they did have a holley on that engine which was a 4440 which you have and the date on your carb is the 242 day of 1968 which would be about right also. I'm trying to decode the actual carb code which is tricky Ill keep working on it.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
My broadcast decode book shows you have a low perf auto trans and engine and they did have a holley on that engine which was a 4440 which you have and the date on your carb is the 242 day of 1968 which would be about right also. I'm trying to decode the actual carb code which is tricky Ill keep working on it.
:popcorn:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The 38 on the sheet is the last two digits of the assembly line part number, which they don't have. We need somebody with a 383 A/C automatic car with the broadcast sheet to compare that code. Any body out there??? It may have had something to do with the cruise control.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Code 56 for axle is a dana 60 with 3.54 gears. Either a misprint or you have a large axle.

A31PKG

Reaction score
This is out of Galen's book.... Hopefully you can read it. At the end, the letters signify models with "R" being Belvedere, "W" Coronet, etc. Note the 575 CFM rating. This is getting very interesting!

The "594" designates an 8 3/4 3:55 Sure Grip ... The "D56" could be either a Dana or 8 3/4.... :huh:

Edit: To clarify, this was taken from the Holley Carb section of Galens parts app book.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the research! It is a 8-3/4 3.55 axle package car with the big radiator, I will try to get a pic of the fender tag tomarrow that would be the extent of documentation unless the original motor and tranny offer anything.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Axle package cars with A/C are rare, I've seen only a small handful over the years...all were of the 3:55/3:54 variety. I should have read Galens book closer, it does appear that a Holley 4 bbl was used in 69! The only stipulation I see is that it had to be an automatic. I would love to have more info, such as how many made it out the gates, what criteria was used such as A/C, cruise control, etc. I think it's safe to say that you have a fairly rare car there! Thanks for sharing! You may want to contact Galen and see what he has to say about production numbers of this configuration... of course, he'll probably charge you, and it may take a while.... good stuff nonetheless! :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Axle package cars with A/C are rare, I've seen only a small handful over the years...all were of the 3:55/3:54 variety.

Boy, isn't that the truth. A/C usually means 3.23 peg leg...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
This is all very interesting. Thankfully Rich has plenty of documentation on the car so it make it really easy to follow the trail. Goes back to what I (and everyone else on here too) always say - never say never with old Ma MoPar... Plenty of guidelines, but not many hard and fast rules...:cheers:

Bob, where did you score that BS Decode book? That is the hot ticket... :thumbsup:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
This is all very interesting. Thankfully Rich has plenty of documentation on the car so it make it really easy to follow the trail. Goes back to what I (and everyone else on here too) always say - never say never with old Ma MoPar... Plenty of guidelines, but not many hard and fast rules...:cheers:

Bob, where did you score that BS Decode book? That is the hot ticket... :thumbsup:

I just memorized all the codes over the years :jester: 1969-1974 Mopar Broadcast Sheet Decoder Manual, By Jack Hare. 69 is the hardest of all the years in this book. There could be mistakes in the book also, you know how that goes.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Great stuff. I stand corrcected and am not too proud to say so! I think this is a truly rare find that really should be put back as it was! This car appears to be a super rare peice of Mopar history. I'm glad I got the chance to learn something new about our 69's.
Mine is an a/c car too, only with a 4 speed trans and it also has the Performance Axle Package (8-3/4" rear w/3.55 Sure Grip). Not too many of them were produced. I'll post some of my codes to see how they compare. My axle code is 591 whereas yours is 594 and my engine code is 897 where yours is 899. Also your car was produces 4/24/69 from the looks of it. Great stuff!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Mine is an a/c car too, only with a 4 speed trans and it also has the Performance Axle Package (8-3/4" rear w/3.55 Sure Grip). Not too many of them were produced. I'll post some of my codes to see how they compare. My axle code is 591 whereas yours is 594 and my engine code is 897 where yours is 899. Also your car was produces 4/24/69 from the looks of it. Great stuff!

Too bad it is one of the "starter" colors... :basketcase:

:lol: :acme: :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The 38 on the sheet is the last two digits of the assembly line part number, which they don't have. We need somebody with a 383 A/C automatic car with the broadcast sheet to compare that code. Any body out there??? It may have had something to do with the cruise control.
i was thinking the same thing maybe a cruise and a/c combo deal only ?????

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I just memorized all the codes over the years :jester:

You mean like I did with all of the fender tag codes? :basketcase:
You and I can walk around Carlisle together decoding everything in sight just from memory... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seems like anymore the only one I ever consistently remember is "R11"...and that's only because the "R" gives me a hint that it's a freakin' radio... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
I just memorized all the codes over the years :jester:

You mean like I did with all of the fender tag codes? :basketcase:
You and I can walk around Carlisle together decoding everything in sight just from memory... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seems like anymore the only one I ever consistently remember is "R11"...and that's only because the "R" gives me a hint that it's a freakin' radio... :lol:

We can walk around and be full of ourselves, I know what a J is for :acme: :jester:

Back