• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Acting weird

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The 4500 convertor probably won't have one. The cars those came from (they used to use Ford Cortina or Opel convertors) never had any need for drain plugs.

It's anyone's guess what happened, but most likely the trans wasn't put together right in the first place.

inri

Reaction score
That stinks about the transmission.

Guess I'll just enjoy the rest of what little summer is left and then pull it in the winter.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Ouch!, excessive heat from having low fluid might have caused them to pop off. To check for a drain plug on the torque converter, you can remove the inspection plate. Then hand turn the engine to check. Any ways you need it off so you can remove the screws connecting the flex plate to the converter.

moparchris

Reaction score
If its an aftermarket (read that high quality) torque converter it will have a drain plug. Both of my Continental converters (8 inch and 10 inch) have them. The junk in the pan means a rebuild. I highly recommend Protrans in Lancaster Ca. Dave and Dave Jr are Mopar racers and have built my race transmissions for years now and do a great job.

inri

Reaction score
If its an aftermarket (read that high quality) torque converter it will have a drain plug. Both of my Continental converters (8 inch and 10 inch) have them. The junk in the pan means a rebuild. I highly recommend Protrans in Lancaster Ca. Dave and Dave Jr are Mopar racers and have built my race transmissions for years now and do a great job.

I imagine if the tranny needs to be rebuilt now then draining the torque converter is moot?! lol

I'll look into Protrans, thanks!

inri

Reaction score
I noticed that the new tranny pan has a 1/8" hole for the temperature sender whereas the old pan had a larger hole maybe 1/4". How do I go about making the change seeing how the line going into the pan has a bolt for 1/4"? Get an adapter? Or run a whole new 1/8" line?

Also, the sensor is mechanical.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
:cents: Personally I wouldn't run a trans temp gauge, maybe in a tow vehicle but not a car.

inri

Reaction score
Ditto, Just checking regularly making sure the trans is not low or the fluid is not discolor (burnt) has always worked for me.

4sp and hemibeep,

Thanks for your thoughts. Is it safe to say you both have RR's that are stock or close to it? If so, I would agree no tranny temp. But my engine and trans are not stock so I'd like to keep an eye on my tranny temp as to not overheat.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well those two have 4 speeds so they have no clue about Girlymatics.....:acme::acme::jester:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Yep I don't have a girlymatic presently, but have had a one with the old runner. Just never heard of anyone installing a trans temp sensor on the trans unless they are towing with the car and adding extra load on the trans.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I had a trans temp gauge on my last motor home and I always towed with it. The trans would run so hot pulling hills I finally put a piece of tape over it so I could watch the road and not the gauge, there is always a down hill to cool it off up ahead :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
when my trans went bad i had shit in the pan also.....then spag blew and had no gears at all......time for rebuild.....4500 stall not good for street.....better off with 3200-3500.....less heat build up ....should install trans temp gauge......make sure trans cooler in radiator isnt plugged......i ended up with a large cooler with built in fan.....good luck.....do you have a good trans builder in mind???...if you need heavy duty parts this is the place to buy them and the guy is very helpful and has anything you need .....my trans guy was amazed on all the trick heavy duty parts he had
http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans.aspx

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
might just be your sig pic George, but something tells me your trans didn't go bad cause you were towing up hill........

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advising against a temp sensor. As said before it is your car build it to your needs. As mention by George check your trans cooler.

inri

Reaction score
Yep I don't have a girlymatic presently, but have had a one with the old runner. Just never heard of anyone installing a trans temp sensor on the trans unless they are towing with the car and adding extra load on the trans.

Sorry, what I meant to type is the temperature sensor is to be installed in the transmission pan. Not the transmission itself.

inri

Reaction score
I had a trans temp gauge on my last motor home and I always towed with it. The trans would run so hot pulling hills I finally put a piece of tape over it so I could watch the road and not the gauge, there is always a down hill to cool it off up ahead :lol:

Nice! I take it you had a hemi in your motor home? hehe

inri

Reaction score
when my trans went bad i had shit in the pan also.....then spag blew and had no gears at all......time for rebuild.....4500 stall not good for street.....better off with 3200-3500.....less heat build up ....should install trans temp gauge......make sure trans cooler in radiator isnt plugged......i ended up with a large cooler with built in fan.....good luck.....do you have a good trans builder in mind???...if you need heavy duty parts this is the place to buy them and the guy is very helpful and has anything you need .....my trans guy was amazed on all the trick heavy duty parts he had
http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans.aspx

George, where have you been? Took like 2+ pages to get a "Solid" response. Too many knuckleheads here LOL. Just playing.

I contacted ProTrans last Friday and left a message. To date I have not heard back from them? ProTrans would be a good place for me seeing how I could drive the 5 hours to S. Cal and drop of the transmission and then head to Disneyland. What stall do/did you have in your transmission, and do you footbrake or transbrake? BTW, I watched your low 10 second et on youtube.
Thanks for the 727 link

Back