• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Acting weird

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
can never be too safe under a car. 4000 pounds is a lot for a guy to hold up and sure not the way I want to go.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
All you need in more support is just the engine itself.

I jack the engine up with the jack on a piece of wood under the oil pan. When the trans is out, I would slide a bar on to the tops of the torsion bars and put a couple of long bolts in the engine where the bellhousing bolted up. Then let the jack down so the bolts hit the bar and support the engine. Then you can roll the car around (if you need to) without the engine falling out.

Of course... if you can leave the car up in the air, then you can skip the bar and bolts.... I never seemed to have that option.

inri

Reaction score
Do you think the car is up high enough to remove the transmission? I plan on dropping it, placing the transmission on cardboard and pulling it out the rear. I have the 3 ton jack stands raised a couple notches, but hesitate on raising them anymore as I feel that will compromise them a bit.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Do you think the car is up high enough to remove the transmission? I plan on dropping it, placing the transmission on cardboard and pulling it out the rear. I have the 3 ton jack stands raised a couple notches, but hesitate on raising them anymore as I feel that will compromise them a bit.
You should be able to get it out like the car sits. But ifyou have clearance issues then just remove the bellhousing and then it should come out easy.

inri

Reaction score
After draining out the transmission fluid and removing the pan there were more shavings and small chunks of something in the pan. Also there were two washers in there. Pretty neat huh? lol

I am having a hard time trying to remove the driveshaft from the rear-end after removing the (4) bolts. What do I do to get it to come or pop out so that I can slide the driveshaft out of the transmission? Also, the flywheel bolts are on very tight; so tight that when I try to loosen them the flywheel will slowly spin. I'm suppose to turn the bolts lefty lucy (counter-clockwise) right? Can't figure out why they are on so tight?

Nonetheless, I'm pretty close to removing the remaining bolts and preparing to drop the tranny. Hopefully later today or over the weekend! Obviously I'll need to get the driveshaft and flywheel bolts situations figured out first.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
drivesshaft, use a long screwdriver or prybar between th yloke and the u joint, should pop out with a little effort. might need to jam something in the flywheel teth to break the bolts loose.

inri

Reaction score
drivesshaft, use a long screwdriver or prybar between th yloke and the u joint, should pop out with a little effort. might need to jam something in the flywheel teth to break the bolts loose.

Gracias!

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
impact gun on the flywheel bolts should do the trick. Just remember to lower the air pressure so that they come out slow. Don't want to break one.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
impact gun on the flywheel bolts should do the trick. Just remember to lower the air pressure so that they come out slow. Don't want to break one.
Just had a "duh" moment before I realized you couldn't get an impact gun in there!

Big John

Reaction score
You should be able to get it out like the car sits. But ifyou have clearance issues then just remove the bellhousing and then it should come out easy.

Automatic trans.... Can't remove the bellhousing.

Big John

Reaction score
After draining out the transmission fluid and removing the pan there were more shavings and small chunks of something in the pan. Also there were two washers in there. Pretty neat huh? lol

I am having a hard time trying to remove the driveshaft from the rear-end after removing the (4) bolts. What do I do to get it to come or pop out so that I can slide the driveshaft out of the transmission? Also, the flywheel bolts are on very tight; so tight that when I try to loosen them the flywheel will slowly spin. I'm suppose to turn the bolts lefty lucy (counter-clockwise) right? Can't figure out why they are on so tight?

Nonetheless, I'm pretty close to removing the remaining bolts and preparing to drop the tranny. Hopefully later today or over the weekend! Obviously I'll need to get the driveshaft and flywheel bolts situations figured out first.

Basketcase has you covered on the driveshaft and removing the flex plate to converter bolts is best done with a box wrench. Sometimes you can knock on the box wrench with a dead blow hammer to loosen the bolts.

BTW, flex plate, not flywheel. Two different things.

inri

Reaction score
Do you like apples? Well, how do you like these apples?! weeeeeeeeee

Took me all day (8 hours) but I got the transmission out! I couldn't be happier! :)

2 points goes to basketcase for being spot (perfect) on regarding the drive-shaft and flywheel.

IMG_20130920_170913_209[1].jpgIMG_20130920_170847_436[1].jpg

IMG_20130920_170913_209[1].jpg

IMG_20130920_170847_436[1].jpg

inri

Reaction score
No worries, I don't have an impact gun! No harm no foul :)

inri

Reaction score
Yep, I figured that out after looking at the casing for a couple of minutes. hehe

inri

Reaction score
Basketcase has you covered on the driveshaft and removing the flex plate to converter bolts is best done with a box wrench. Sometimes you can knock on the box wrench with a dead blow hammer to loosen the bolts.

BTW, flex plate, not flywheel. Two different things.

I did the above. And yes you are right about the flex plate and flywheel being two different things. Same difference right? lol

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
be patient with him Big...he has a RED car after all.....:acme::acme::acme::jester:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Glad to see the trans is out. What are your plans know? Don't worry, have been following, just haven't commented much.

inri

Reaction score
Glad to see the trans is out. What are your plans know? Don't worry, have been following, just haven't commented much.

4spd,

Great question. At this point in time I don't know which route to take. The car was originally a 4 speed, and the clutch pedal is still in the car just depressed to the floor board. I'm growing more and more irritated at the 727 now. I'm looking into 4&5 speeds for the car and pricing them out. If I go that route I'll want one that fits with no cutting required. I need the transmission to be fairly strong with a great clutch but don't/can't spend alot of money. Brewer's quoted me $5k+! Ouch. That's about 50% more than I'd like to spend. Passion Performance is getting me a quote now. I might try to find a transmission slightly used on racing junk or feebay!

I've heard some good things about a Tremec supporting 700 ft tq but I'm not sure on the fitment? Or the cost...

Back