• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATTENTION: Post Car owners

sam z

Reaction score
A few things I read about our post cars. If you have info to the contrary
please provide:

1. Post cars came with bologna cut exhaust, no tips. That was reserved for
hardtops and convertibles.

2. Post cars only had a tan or blue interior available. Hardtops and convertibles
different story again.

My car has a black interior, but it was done by an amateur because you can see
the tan poking through in places, and it is on the fender tag as well.

Again, this is from a source I recently picked up. I own the "Charger, Roadrunner, Superbee"
restoration guide by Paul Herd, but he does not provide these facts in the book.

Based upon your car and info is this stuff accurate?
-Sam

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That book is more riddled with holes than Bonnie & Clyde's '34 phord... :lol:

My car is a post car. No A87 Decor Group. IT HAS FACTORY EXHAUST TIPS. This is even more interesting because there was a bulletin issued early in the A12 production run mandating the A87 package on these cars. Mine did not get it even though it is a VERY LATE build. Never ever say "NEVER" in the land of Ma MoPar... :yesnod:

:bs: on the interior colors. Truckloads of post cars had black interiors. In both the garden variety M2X Belvedere version as well as the upgraded Satellite interior when the box was checked for A87. Look below; here's a pic of a nice Vitamin C A12 with the M2X interior... :thumbsup:

That book is a decent guide...but it ain't the Road Runner Bible... :cheers:

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i wonder if the 68"s were the same??

And what about the '68 and a halfs like you have??? :lmao:

:acme: :cheers: :acme:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I thought the plain turned down exhaust was a California noise emission thing.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Yes, a few errors in Paul Herd's book for sure... It is a nice resource, but like was mentioned, NOT the bible. For example, I believe it states somewhere that steel wheels were body color with the exception of white cars... not mine... not only witnessed by the original owner, but the white wheel color is even coded on the build sheet! The turn down tips are a California deal. Most - if not all - interior colors and styles were available in either RM21 or RM23 cars... Not sure about RM27... They were intended to be a little more upscale?

sam z

Reaction score
I believe my source is a "by the numbers" segment from a mopar rag. Of course
now I can't find it right away, but I'm confident about what I had read.

This info did not come from the book by Paul Herd.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
sam z said:
I believe my source is a "by the numbers" segment from a mopar rag. Of course
now I can't find it right away, but I'm confident about what I had read.

This info did not come from the book by Paul Herd.

Regardless of the source, neither of those statements are accurate.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
My car had the A87 decor package and I've also heard that the turn down pipes was a California deal, something to do with pollution I believe. And even the limited Lynch road fender tag on my car shows that it had a green interior, since changed to black. :brickwall:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Here is an excellent book penned by a former St Louis plant worker. Very nice color photos, many of survivors. Lots of good info. The price however is unreal!
I guess it's out of print? I got mine a few years back when first released for 25 bucks maybe? Wow, I guess I should lock it up.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dodge-Plym ... 27b833e3cc

Roadcuda

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Here is an excellent book penned by a former St Louis plant worker. Very nice color photos, many of survivors. Lots of good info. The price however is unreal!
I guess it's out of print? I got mine a few years back when first released for 25 bucks maybe? Wow, I guess I should lock it up.....

:eek: :crazy: I don't need it that bad!!!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
A31PKG said:

I have that book and haven't looked at it in years. Guess I better put it in a glass case :lol:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I have a '68 Post Car and here's my original interior color.....

[attachment=0:jhlyqg0w]100_0269.jpg[/attachment:jhlyqg0w]

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
A31PKG said:

I have that book and haven't looked at it in years. Guess I better put it in a glass case :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Plym...03/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1307754921&sr=8-16

And the reviews aren't that good!

A31PKG

Reaction score
Big John said:

It does contain a little mis-information here and there... all these books do. The pictures are its strong point, and they depict most colors & combos.

It's not a "restoration guide" per se, more of a pictoral/info guide. I thought it would help the op .... not at this price though!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Big John said:

It does contain a little mis-information here and there... all these books do. The pictures are its strong point, and they depict most colors & combos.

It's not a "restoration guide" per se, more of a pictoral/info guide. I thought it would help the op .... not at this price though!

I haven't found too many books that you could call a "restoration guide". It's one of those things that gets under my skin... There's soooo much misinformation out there. Even the so called "gurus" have muddied the waters with their opinions of what is correct. I even had GG stand next to my car and tell me I had the wrong K-frame in my car.... Yea... right...

To defend the "experts" though, Chrysler did a lot of screwy stuff. Whatever went on the car when it went down the line is what it is. Chrylser did what Chrysler did.... AND... if you special ordered it, they'd do about anything. My Dad bought a brand new 300 in 1968... Bucket seats and side pin stripe was standard... except his car... bench seat and no stripe. The window sticker told the tale. Delete both options. Dealers did some crazy stuff back then too. There was an A12 Bee with power windows that was sold in Syracuse had road wheels installed by Sam Dell Dodge... Oh wait... did I say power windows in an A12... they never offered that... right?

Back