• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing it back to factory specs!

resq302

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliments! That brass spring loaded wedge is an anti rattle mechanism used for convertible models. On the door side of the wedge is a plastic with metal reinforced opposing wedge that makes contact with the brass part on the jamb. As far as I know, all convertibles had these. At least 68-70 B bodies and our 70 challenger convertible as well.

droptop

Reaction score
Looking good. The anti rattlers were used on all Chrysler body styes of convertibles from this era.

resq302

Reaction score
Speaking of anti rattlers...... when I was putting the black plastic piece of the anti-rattler in on the pass. side, the lower hole had the plastic crack and break off on me. Would anyone have an original spare around they would be willing to sell? I don't think the repros have the metal reinforcing plate on them.

resq302

Reaction score
would anyone have any shims and the correct bolt for this area. This had to be a factory mess up as the undercoating on the metal rear splash shield that prevents mud, dirt, and water from getting into the door hinge area was never touched as the bolt heads were literally globbed up with undercoating and we couldn't even get a socket on it. After I removed that, I found a thin metal wire like bail wire hanging from the oblong whole on the bracket that comes off of the cowl. This is where there is supposed to be a bolt that secures the upper rear corner of the fender to the cowl. Ours was apparently never installed at the factory.

missingbolt.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sorry mine are busy holding my fenders on. What I wanted to say before my smart assed side stepped in the way is, that is one clean car your working with!

resq302

Reaction score
Its only that clean cause I cleaned it up before I took the pics. (at least most of the pics!) The undercarriage had 44 years of untouched grease to preserve all of the inspection marks, etc. for us although we are going through a TON of brake cleaner spray and simple green! lol

resq302

Reaction score
More work completed...... Driver side interior color painted and T3 Honey Bronze door jamb color now matches the rest of the exterior. Sad to cover up the original factory applied paint but it just didn't look right since the exterior color was a shade lighter than the factory applied color.

102_5978.jpg interior color was applied first at the factory.....

102_5979.jpg

102_5982.jpg T3 being applied to the jambs.....

102_5981.jpg

102_5983.jpg

102_5980.jpg

102_5984.jpg some of the masking removed.....

102_5985.jpg

102_5986.jpg masking all removed, awaiting it to dry a few days before reinstalling the hardware and weather stripping.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I hope you still have the "TOP" label for the switch panel. Those are very hard to come by. My GTX had red oxide primer. Also a St. Louis car like yours.

I have a good top label and a R. Window station wagon label and the two switch panels they came on if anyone needs a convertible top switch panel (same as station wagon one just a different label for switch)?

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
progress looks great, are you sure about the T3 inside the door area, I think they all would gave been "teak tan"

resq302

Reaction score
T3 was in the door jambs as any exterior color would be. The upper door frame color is T7. What you see (really wont see once the door panel is in place) of the T3 is the factory over spray where they did not mask off. That area would have been covered by the door panels so the workers were not too concerned with that. You have to remember these cars were being rolled off of the assembly line at a rate of a car a minute back then. This also explains why there were runs, orange peel, etc. Not to mention I have seen factory untouched examples of where the factory painters would spray out the previous color of a car, say green, on the floor boards and door jambs and then just cover it up with the correct color that car was. Why waste time cleaning out the gun when you just spray the new color through it till it came out clean.

resq302

Reaction score
Well, its been a week since I posted last and here are some updated pics. Interior is all set to go back together and while I was at my job over the weekend, Dad got the door panels installed. Man, they look great! I'm really psyched to get the rest of it done now! Anyway, here are some more pics of the progress.

(Dad wanted to leave the protective film over the mylar to prevent any accidental scratching. This film will be removed once the car is finished!)

pass side door all back together!

102_5991.jpg

102_5992.jpg

102_5993.jpg

102_5994.jpg

freshening up the underside of the trunk lid. paint is still the factory applied paint as well as the factory applied jacking instruction decal! Also notice the edge closed to the camera which would be the rear most part of the trunk lid. Notice the lack of paint as the trunk was in the up position when it was painted causing a lack of paint to get to this rear most part. Also a lack of paint in the void where there was access holes for pot metal trunk finish panel and plymouth name. You can see where some surface rust started and the factory dark gray dip primer was where the exterior color did not get painted.

102_5995.jpg

102_5996.jpg

102_5997.jpg

lots of factory runs! Also notice the bare mental area behind where the trunk latch was. Supposedly they bolted a prop rod / plate to this location to keep the trunk up while painting.

102_5998.jpg

102_5999.jpg

102_6000.jpg

factory installed jacking decal! (seen better days!)

102_6001.jpg

102_6003.jpg

102_6001.jpg

102_6002.jpg

102_6004.jpg

102_6006.jpg

102_6005.jpg

Almost a perfect outline of the trunk latch which had zero paint on it!

102_6007.jpg

Factory typo on the trunk weather strip rail! Should read 9G, not G9!

102_6012.jpg

102_6013.jpg

All cleaned up from having some rust starting under the factory applied paint in the rain gutters!

102_6014.jpg

Interior pieces which are down in Dad's basement waiting to be installed!

102_6015.jpg

102_6016.jpg

Restored factory console. Original molded colored plastic. Original chrome. Just reapplied the wood grain and repainted the black paint.

102_6017.jpg

102_6018.jpg

102_6019.jpg

resq302

Reaction score
Thanks. It sure helps to start out with a solid, unmolested car! Believe it or not, I ended up making some repairs to the plastic rear door panels as they had some stress cracks by the upper screw holes where they mounted to the top by the window fuzzies. Also the driver side lower part that is hidden by the bottom part of the seat had a huge crack in it from something. A little fiberglass matting and resin behind it and it is stronger than ever! Nice thing is, is that where I did it, you won't be able to see it and I was able to retain the original piece!

Also, the console had the typical crack in the rear part of it. Never be able to tell now! Again, fiberglassed it from under neath as well as put a thin metal plate in between the two pieces of fiberglass mat to add some rigidity to it should someone inadvertently lean on it.

I gotta say, I have never been excited working on restoring a car as I have been with this one. It is truly amazing being able to work on something that really hasn't had anyone mess with it since the factory put it together. Lots of things to be learned from it!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Nice work. Some one took more time to place your jack instructions than on mine.

roadrunner restoration 013.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's because they wanted to get away from that blue car asap!

Back