• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deck lid strips ?

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
rear deck lid stripes on a RR

Since we're talking about stripes and vinyl tops what do you think about stripes on the rear deck lid ?

Original topic rear deck stripes... I dabbled a little, with stripes, when I primed my car, allot of people liked them, even the most purist in my little Mopar group, BUT I still don't know if I would paint them permanent, a couple bad photos below... I know it's not a Mopar thing, I know the hood is a 69.5 too, they never made a 6bbl in 68 either/let alone a 383/479-6bbl either, 68 RR never came with buckets either, I have all of them... but I also build my car how I want it, drive it like I stole it & damn the rest...LOL... some times you just have to say WTF, do what you like... But I also hate the rear go wing on a 68-69, or a bumble bee stripe on something other than a Dodge, or the big Plymouth decals that came on the Superbird's on anything but a Superbird, so I guess I'm a little anal about the not factory equipped stuff too...LOL... too each their own thou, it's not my car, not my $$$... I also did kind of a GTX treatment down the side, it seems everyone that looked at it, liked it, that will be part of the LL1 & black paint scheme when the car is repainted/finished... good luck what ever you decide, I'm sure it will be tastefully done... I like mixing a few years here & there, no harm no foul, I've had them 100% stock & 100% not, I like them either way, I'm on #13 now...

68 RR #11 Apr 26 2011.jpg

68 RR #12 Apr 26 2011.jpg

68 RR #17 Apr 26 2011.jpg

68 RR #18 Apr 26 2011 #1.jpg

68 RR #16 Apr 26 2011 Buddy #1.jpg

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
I saw the strips on your deck lid in your intro and said oh boy I hope he doesn't see this thread lol ! I guess you and I are the only ones who might consider them . Some of the guys said some real harsh things about the stripes and that's ok with me , I am not the kind of guy that follows the pack or afraid to speak my mind . As you know by checking out my build sight my RR is no where near factory and never will be and that's the way I like it . I think most of the fellows here don't care what you do to your car because its your car and that's a good thing . What do you guys think about side pipes ? I had them on my El Camino and they looked great and sounded fantastic . :groucho: yes I think sidepipes on a RR would look awesome :jester:

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Wow... Now it's side pipes....

JC Whitney just called from 1972 and they want their catalog back.

droptop

Reaction score
I saw the strips on your deck lid in your intro and said oh boy I hope he doesn't see this thread lol ! I guess you and I are the only ones who might consider them . Some of the guys said some real harsh things about the stripes and that's ok with me , I am not the kind of guy that follows the pack or afraid to speak my mind . As you know by checking out my build sight my RR is no where near factory and never will be and that's the way I like it . I think most of the fellows here don't care what you do to your car because its your car and that's a good thing . What do you guys think about side pipes ? I had them on my El Camino and they looked great and sounded fantastic . :groucho: yes I think sidepipes on a RR would look awesome :jester:

I can honestly say that I have never seen a Road Runner (any year) with side pipes.

69383RR

Reaction score
Neither have I and I would never do it , just like I would never put a spoiler on , or large Plymouth stickers . I like to think I have some good taste ?

Big John

Reaction score
I have seen them.... and a lot of other cars with bolt on side pipes.....

You have to dress correctly for a car with side pipes.

451721124_af99dc9e14.jpg
attachment.jpg

451721124_af99dc9e14.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
But if you do put sidepipes on your car,you will have to grow a mullet to complete the "look"

mcmopar

Reaction score

I have seen them on a 69 road runner - unfortunately. The problem is they aren't long enough and tend to look dorky as a result. On a '67 Vette - yeah - sidepipes look hot - but not on a 68-70 B-body Mopar :cents:

69383RR

Reaction score
Yah they would deffanenly have to be long enough and even then it would be iffy ,and ballsey , especially with these guys !

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
Yah they would deffanenly have to be long enough and even then it would be iffy ,and ballsey , especially with these guys !

Especially the mullet.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

and like you will always here on this site. "it's your car, do it to make YOU happy". But when you ask others "how do you like this"...be prepared.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I have seen them.... and a lot of other cars with bolt on side pipes.....

You have to dress correctly for a car with side pipes.

Why does the guy in front of the 70 Lemans look like he is attracted to the cameraman (cameraperson)? :acme:
and no, I wouldn't look you straight in the chest and say that. :lol:

Big John

Reaction score
I googled thrush side pipes and found those pictures. The internet has no shame.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
no no no, on the side-pipes...LOL... seen way too many in the late 60's & especially in the 70's for my liken', unless it's a Cobra or Corvette they don't belong really

Exhaust Eagle Advert. #1 70's.jpg

Doug Thorley Header 70's advert. #3.jpg

Doug Thorley Headers Advert..jpg

65 Corvette Stingray  TV show Stingray.jpg

65 Shelby Cobra Daytona 427ci Shelby Ferrari Killer Sema #1.jpg

Back