ENGINE OIL...

Engine & Related

1. 6PKRTSE

6PKRTSE Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I have always used whatever 10w30 is on sale. No need for anything more fancy. However, I do run Brad Penn racing 10W30 or Valvoline VR1 in my race car for the Hemi.

Russ69Runner and john visconti like this.
  2. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    RonLiv and Russ69Runner like this.
  3. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Of coarse don’t forget your oil will not deter to 5wt. or so until temperature dictates. If occasional dry starts done through winter months a very good idea. Never heard of 50wt. oil back in ‘60’s but with the loose ring tolerances at least in my 383, believe the heavier viscosity would truly benefit when running engine hard. At least I can say it’s recommended for certain cars these days with the higher compression ratios as 10.5 to 1 with superior lube protection supposedly.

Too, early days I had a straight 30wt. in my ‘67 Mustang, motor bound up. No start on cold winter morning. Ah, to be young again and even more senseless than now lol.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    In these cases I would suggest a block heater that you can plugin to 110 ac. Most diesel motor's have them. Sure you could find a place to put one. Or maybe one of those heated blanket's. :lol:

5. mac

mac Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    most diesel motors need them if they are outside or in sub zero temps. i would never unless i was in Alaska use a block heater for a gas engine. in these cars you have got to be kidding me if you feel the need to drive when it is that cold.

6. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Hey mac make sure it is full coverage insurance is paid up. But have seen gas motor in cars and trucks with heaters in the water system to keep it warmed up.

Rich B likes this.
  7. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Had one on my 66 Chrysler 300 up in Wyoming on a timer. It was nice the defrost and heat worked right away. But that was my daily driver back then.

8. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I know a lot of people here will attest to the diesel oil but it is not designed for a gasoline engine. Even the zinc content has been reduced drastically as the EPA has mandated that diesel engines use catalytic converters and zinc has a negative effect on the converters. Also, the diesel engines do not rpm like a gas engine and especially a stout gas engine. I wouldn't use it.

Rich B likes this.
  9. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
    973E1A9E-4E8F-4CF2-95BC-38C40D97EFEC.jpeg :xscuseless2:Yes, had the coolant water heater in my ‘69, I swear it started better than summer (DD). Saco River Valley, some mornings 30 below. One time at work the boys connected the oil and water together on boss’ car. Didn’t know why the oil was muddy looking, lol, don’t know if he ever knew.

Recall had an adverse effect on valves was going to unleaded fuels. Ran leaded in my ‘Lil Red to the end. Used pipe cutter to reenlarge fuel filler tube and took off converters and replaced with Royal Scots. And with the chrome stacks.... very quiet with first I ever saw H pipe.

I’m not sure either on today’s oil and fuels used on yesteryear’s classics. Agree, nothing good can come of it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Russ69Runner likes this.
  10. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
  11. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Just to say that non detergent oil is not a good thing. For example when taring down motor's in the old day like with Quaker state oil which my dad like the motor was all gummed up. It also plugged the oil journal's. The head where the valves where full of sludge. The bottom of the piston cylinders where also had varnish their and did not let the oil get to the ring's. I have ran Shell Rotella in many motor's and have found it to be a good clean oil. Had it in a Toyota SR5 six cylinder. Changed the valve cover gaskets and man you could eat off the valve train. I was so clean. Have run it in gas and diesel motor's and have had good result's. Run it in my Quad runner also no problem's. Not to say it is the best but have not had problems with sludge build up in these motors. But on my Harley motor ran 40 weight and was using motor cycle oil but that is a different type air cooled motor. I am using mobile one in the runner. All my racing buddy's say that is the way to go and a lot of guy's with old restored vehicles like these mopar motors are using the mobile one. Well just to say if your car is low on oil on the road and you cant get what you are using Oil is oil till you get the rite oil. :lol:

Rich B likes this.
  12. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes Rich that is just a few thought's on the matter. I do have a quart of my oil that is run in my vehicles at all time's and a small tool kit. It neve hurts to have this when on the road. :thumbsup2:

13. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Good info Russ, actually forgot all about those times.

Russ69Runner likes this.