• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Est. for bodywork

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
don't be too quick. what ever prolems your car has, you know what you have. shop around, there are other shops, that will do your work cheaper.

chapdog105

Reaction score
$31k seems a bit excessive, especially if it's just for bodywork and paint.
My car needed EVERYTHING, and I was less than that.

I quit adding the cost of my restoration for a few reasons....
1. It's really difficult to keep track of everything.
2. It's depressing when you add it all up.
3. You have to hide the "real" cost from the old lady!

I would estimate that I have between $21-$22k in my body and paint (excluding bumpers and grille). I got lucky and found two guys willing to do the labor and paint for $10k, I just had to wait a year to get into their shop. This is for a full rotisserie restoration of the body, and a base/clear paint job in a booth. I also replaced just about everything I could with AMD products, and purchased used doors and a deck-lid. There isn't much that is original on my convertible at this point.

That estimate does NOT include the money I lost when I restored the car a couple years ago, which I was able to recoup about 1/3 of in a lawsuit.

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I'm looking at a car in Troy NY that just had the body done. Hopefully this works out

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hope it works out the way you want. what are your doing with the purple car?

chapdog105

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
coyotekiller said:
Yes it is
THATS BEEN ON THERE FOR A WHILE.....i hope your going there to check it out

Is that the one with all the junk on underbody? I'm with George on this one...check it out in person with your glasses on. Don't let your wants cloud your vision. There's a lot of junk out there, and a lot of people trying to sell their cars online to avoid face-to-face buyers.

I'm not trying to pick that car apart because I don't know what you're expecting to pay for it. To me, it looks like someone's doing a flip on it to make some $$$. If they were restoring it the right way, they would've cleaned up that underbody. Who knows what is hiding beneath that old undercoating.
Also, those seats and door panels are far from correct, and they left the hinges black. Those are small details, but they are important when you think about it because they indicate that the person restoring the car is either uninformed, or cares less of the originality of the car.

For $19,500 in this economy, I'd expect a much better car for something that's not turn-key.
I'm not trying to be negative, just adding my :cents: . I've been through a lot of mistakes with my car, and hope to help others not make the mistakes that i've made.

Here's one near me that's been on CL for a while at $23k...I'm sure he'd take $20....
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3123967093.html

Best of luck to ya CoyoteKiller....

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I am going there to check out the car first. The incorrect interior does not bother me.

moparchris

Reaction score
chapdog105 said:
george68hemirr said:
coyotekiller said:
Yes it is
THATS BEEN ON THERE FOR A WHILE.....i hope your going there to check it out

Is that the one with all the junk on underbody? I'm with George on this one...check it out in person with your glasses on. Don't let your wants cloud your vision. There's a lot of junk out there, and a lot of people trying to sell their cars online to avoid face-to-face buyers.

I'm not trying to pick that car apart because I don't know what you're expecting to pay for it. To me, it looks like someone's doing a flip on it to make some $$$. If they were restoring it the right way, they would've cleaned up that underbody. Who knows what is hiding beneath that old undercoating.
Also, those seats and door panels are far from correct, and they left the hinges black. Those are small details, but they are important when you think about it because they indicate that the person restoring the car is either uninformed, or cares less of the originality of the car.

For $19,500 in this economy, I'd expect a much better car for something that's not turn-key.
I'm not trying to be negative, just adding my :cents: . I've been through a lot of mistakes with my car, and hope to help others not make the mistakes that i've made.

Here's one near me that's been on CL for a while at $23k...I'm sure he'd take $20....
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3123967093.html

Best of luck to ya CoyoteKiller....
That is a neat car at a good price!

moparchris

Reaction score
Coyote, what is wrong with your car? Most Mopars need a significant amount of work to be show worthy. When you buy a done car from someone else you assume that they did the body work right, that is usually not the case. So by getting rid of your car and buying a painted car from someone else you may be getting a car in worse condition that has been covered up and now your back to square -1. Dont be afraid of that ridiculously high estimate on your car. By doing the time consuming work on your car you can get the car painted nicely for 5K assuming it doesn't need frame rails. I have done it many of times with my own cars. Strip them of their parts and deliver the car to the body shop in bare metal ready for them to do the technical work. You would be surprised at how quick they get it done and how much the price goes down. Its like going to the Dr. always get a second opinion.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you keep out of this...don't you have something to vote for.....
Coyote, I'm getting my car done by a friend for $4000-$5000. He's doing it as time allows since he has a regular job. I'm getting new 1/4 skins, trunk extensions, yellow off, green on, and hopefully no surprises. You know what you're car needs. Buying another can be a crap shoot. But you have to do what is right for you. Just don't rush into anything. Winter is around the corner, and you'll have plenty of time to look for another shop or car.

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I'm not looking for a show worthy car. I've gotten 4 estimates and the cheapest one has been 20,000. I'm looking for a 4 speed car. I figure if I can find a car with a good body for 15,000 I'll come out ahead. I'm in no rush because I do have a car to drive.

Back