• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grille Paint

mac

What ?
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Mac you did a great job...but this broad with the big bouncing tits....i think i am in love...haha

that's why she is there, to share the love. :jester:

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
mac said:
george68hemirr said:
Mac you did a great job...but this broad with the big bouncing tits....i think i am in love...haha

that's why she is there, to share the love. :jester:
Someone send Mac a shirt. We need to see this chick bounce again.

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
I just painted the grill. Took about 7 hours to mask over a period of three days. I think I will do an extensive write up on how not to paint a grill. I skipped one important step because I was rushing to get this done in time for the Spring Fling at Woodley Park. I should have bright dipped or electropolished. The next step would have been to do a clear anodize. One of the things I noticed was that the paint was having a tough time adhering to the polished aluminum. I found out about a paint adhering agent. Bulldog and SEM make it in a rattle can. I found out about this after the paint I used was not sticking to well to the polished surfaces. Essentially I will be doing it again so that I wont have to do it for another ten years.. Thanks Jim for the dark argent. I opted to save it for the next time and used the Krylon black fusion paint. This will only be on for the rest of the week and then it's off to get it stripped and re polished. I should be able to strip the existing paint without too much damage to the polished surface. Anyways I will post some pictures in the morning. It definitely looks good.

Jim S.

Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
I just painted the grill. Took about 7 hours to mask over a period of three days. I think I will do an extensive write up on how not to paint a grill. I skipped one important step because I was rushing to get this done in time for the Spring Fling at Woodley Park. I should have bright dipped or electropolished. The next step would have been to do a clear anodize. One of the things I noticed was that the paint was having a tough time adhering to the polished aluminum. I found out about a paint adhering agent. Bulldog and SEM make it in a rattle can. I found out about this after the paint I used was not sticking to well to the polished surfaces. Essentially I will be doing it again so that I wont have to do it for another ten years.. Thanks Jim for the dark argent. I opted to save it for the next time and used the Krylon black fusion paint. This will only be on for the rest of the week and then it's off to get it stripped and re polished. I should be able to strip the existing paint without too much damage to the polished surface. Anyways I will post some pictures in the morning. It definitely looks good.
Sounds good. Yes I had to scotchbrite the areas that were to be painted dark argent after masking. Hopefully your Dad can reproduce it. It seems very hard to find anymore and I don't think I can get my body shop buddy to match it again. He quit drinking, I bribed him with beer last time. I will be curious to see how the Krylon fusion looks compared to the good stuff. I don't know how good Bulldog would work on aluminum. Works great on plastic and vinyl. Looking forward to the pics. :thumbsup:

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
I definitely have to try to get a community gallon mixed. Then if anyone needs a batch we can all pass it on. Like I posted earlier there was a post on another board that had a pissing match about an the Dark Argent.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'd be hard pressed to want to repaint it. It looks great. As I said once before - that is one SWEET ride!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ArcDevilz. Get lots of pics at the fling I'm not going to make it :toetap:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that is sweet! :worship: since you're going to redo yours, how 'bout I just send you mine, and you can send me yours? :D (sooner or later some ones GOTTA fall for that line.....)

BBillyC

Reaction score
So, I'm looking at refinishing my grille and have noticed that the whole surface seems to be anodized or electroplated to give it a chrome look but it sands off fairly easily. The material whatever it is is crappy and kind of pitted so i am trying to sand it down to bare aluminum and go from there. Painting the thing is not an issue at all, it is just getting the polished areas to look like that. Do you sand down with 2000 grit and polish or are you coating it with something, or plating it to give it the polished look???? Any ideas willingly accepted.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Your right about coating it, as shinny as it may get, it's going to oxidize. Possibly a clear coat?

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Billy the correct way to do this would be to have a plating shop strip the anodized surface. This would save hours of sanding and labor. You can if you want to go at it use some scotch brite wheels. Check this site http://www.labenson.com/wheels.html for the various types. Once you get rid of the anodized surface you can polish the aluminum. This website http://kingoftrim.com/PlantTour.html has a great pictorial of the step by step of doing it correct. I was lucky enough to just have to polish and paint my grill. If I where to do it again I would have it brite dipped and then anodized before paint.

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's what I did. THe black paint isn't all that tough, though. If you get some bugs on it you must GENTLY remove them with water, cleaner or the like or you will remove the paint along with the bug.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
for what the new stuff costs, you'd think the paint was a little tougher. wonder if you had it cleared?

mcmopar

Reaction score
You'll get the clear on the bare metal and it may not adhere well to either bare metal or the black paint. Seems like it would begine peeling off before too long.

mcmopar

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Basketcase said:
for what the new stuff costs, you'd think the paint was a little tougher. wonder if you had it cleared?
you dont think they paint it here....china or

Yeah - probably water based paint...

Back