• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grille Paint

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...I spy a couple of Crotch Rockets in the background of those grill photos...

:jester:

andy69

Reaction score
It took me bloody hours to mask-i then just used a matt black aero can seems ok--but how did the factory do this .I now want all of you to go away and have a good think about that one mmmmm there will be prizes given out for correct answer,what ever the f--k that is ..cheers

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
So how do I get all the black paint that someone has applied this grill off. Do I paint strip it, sand blast it? I want to get it polished then anodised then i'll mask it up and paint it but I need to get the half inch of black off first. Thanks guys.

mannye

Reaction score
I would dip it or use some other type of liquid stripper/remover considering how delicate the metal is on these things...

6R9Runner

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You'll get the clear on the bare metal and it may not adhere well to either bare metal or the black paint. Seems like it would begine peeling off before too long.
My original grille and headlight surrounds were replaced by a set from a Belvedere, so they are missing the black-out. Fortunately I still have the originals as a reference. From my research, you need to prepare the aluminum with a self-etching primer or else the paint will not stick, 2 candidates so far are Mar-hyde TSL5111 or SEM 39673. Maybe its over-kill but after all the masking it would really suck to have it chip off easily.

sparkey

Reaction score
This is what I here is correct. Duplicolor silver acylic enamel for the silver portion and duplicolor low gloss black for the black areas. Also get some blue 3m masking tape with a very low adhesive because the paint does not like to stick to the anodized aluminum very well.

JoeMish

Reaction score
I found this complete grill at Carlisle lst year. It is a used piece that had been repainted. Over all it looked very good, and was much better then what was on my car so I bought it. The only part of the repaint I'm not sure about is on the top of the center section. You can see where the section with the mounting holes is raised a bit from the front of it. On my original grill only the flat front area is painted up to where it angles up. From there to the back edge it is unpainted. The other '69s I've seen are like this, so I think that the way this grill was done is incorrect. Anyone want to chime in?
Thanks for the picture

droptop

Reaction score
Mac that looks good! So you did the black then the lighter color over it?

yes, the black is painted first because you can’t tape over the textured argent very well. And yes, I am replying to a 12 year old thread. I saw a lot of old screen names that I haven’t seen here in a very very long time.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Made it the easy way just bought all new head light and grill pieces. LOL. Saved a lot of time. The old parts where broken in some bolt places. Minor dents here and their. So that was my best option. Good luck and grate job Mack.

Back