• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Update

zupanj

Reaction score
Well we finally got the engine in today. I had a lot of good help from my buddies and it took all them as it turns out. The headers were a bitch as expected. I hope I have enough high temp rtv on them as I don't want to repeat this anytime soon. All looks good except I can't get the clutch dust pan on because the headers are in the way and I'll have to cut some of the threaded rod from the shock off to clear the valve cover. Also it looks like I may not have a heater but we will see about that. I will try to post a few pics below.

Jack
P1010489.jpg

P1010490.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That looks great :thumbsup: sounds like pretty minor stuff thats left other than the heater :worship:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Well we finally got the engine in today. I had a lot of good help from my buddies and it took all them as it turns out. The headers were a bitch as expected. I hope I have enough high temp rtv on them as I don't want to repeat this anytime soon. All looks good except I can't get the clutch dust pan on because the headers are in the way and I'll have to cut some of the threaded rod from the shock off to clear the valve cover. Also it looks like I may not have a heater but we will see about that. I will try to post a few pics below.

Jack
P1010489.jpg

P1010490.jpg

why didnt you use just header gaskets.....thats all i use and they havent leaked......as for the heater...it will work....valve covers will clear with hoses off.....looking great.....what roller rockers are they??....is that intake just a mock-up.....i dont see any valley gasket.....dont use the foam valley gasket....black atv works best

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Looking good.

Please stick rags in the intake for me, it makes me nervous just looking at the pictures. :toetap:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
....valve covers will clear with hoses off.....

I was wondering about that - I mean the big valve cover engines were available from the factory - and I've never heard anything about all Hemicars being heater delete...

Take somecarguys advise and throw some rags or block-off plates on that intake...

Looking good Jack!

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Definately cover it up, cause if you get a guy that likes that as well as me and he gets close he may blow a nut in it.......... :lmao:

zupanj

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Don't worry, I always keep the intake manifold covered. I only pulled the rags to take the pictures.

George, I think the valley cover is cast aluminum as far as I can tell. I haven't been inside there yet. I have used the Permatex Copper RTV on about three cars now and I love it. I kept blowing header gaskets on one car and thought that that was just how gaskets behaved but it turned out to be an bad flange surface. Still I have used RTV, usually with gaskets and it has always worked well.
The pictures look like the heater hoses will route but when the valve covers are on, there is no more that 1/2" clearance. I will take a picture next time I am out there.

I think I have to pull the right side header to get the clutch dust pan on. If I do I will have to remove the rtv since it's cured now and I will probably use a gasket on that side. I pray I never have to do the driver side again. By the way if anyone has use for this information I would strongly recommend buying the 2 1/8" tti headers rather than the 2 1/4" ones I bought. That little bit of extra clearance makes a huge difference. I am not sure but I may have to grind a bit off the bellhousing where the dust cover is on the passenger side.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
jack....please take another picture of the hemi with rags covering those intake holes and also over of the valve train to make everyone feel better....they are nervous for you.......HAHA :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

LOOKING GOOD JACK....WONT BE LONG NOW BEFORE THAT FIRST TIRE BOILING RIDE....good for you!!!!!!!!

zupanj

Reaction score
I haven't made a lot of progress lately, it seems time is hard to come by. The drive shaft is in and the fuel pump is ready. Headers are almost completed. I had to pull the right side header and grind a bit more bellhousing and some of the dust pan but it fits nicely. I still have to get the rtv off the left side header and put it back together. I have the pulleys on and am nearly ready to finish up.

I have been tossing various ideas on exhaust around but haven't made a decision. Most guys I talk to say I should put in a 3" exhaust system and I can see where that might be a good idea but I don't know if I want to spend that much money. I could spend over $1000 if I don't watch out.

I have two ideas I wondered about. If I put in a 3" system and necked down the tailpipe at the rear to use the exhaust tips would that cause a problem? I know that puts in a restriction but it's pretty far downstream. The other idea is to have a muffler shop fabricate a 3" to 2.5" transition piece and use the exhaust system that's now in the car. I am leaning toward the latter. What do you guys think?

I know 3" exhaust is the hot ticket these days but I haven't been convinced it is all that necessary. I would also like to quiet the car down a little.

Jack

mcmopar

Reaction score
With that much motor running those nice headers I'd stick with a 3" system myself. Do some 'net research on mufflers and see which ones are quieter. I was going to recommend Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos but they don't seem to make them in a 3" dia. size.
I would not neck the pipe size down at the tip. Yes, it's a long way to the back but even my 383 pushes a lot more exhaust out the back with the headers and full 3" system than it ever did with the stock manifolds and a 2-1/4" system. Don't resrict that big HEMI's breathing. I know the exhaust system can be expensive (boy, do I ever!) but its well worth it in the long run. If I learned one thing doing my project back in '03 it was this: "there is never enough time or money to do the job right the first time - but there is always enough of both to do it over."

george68hemirr

Reaction score
jack....you went this far with the hemi and all.....dont skimp on the exhaust.... she has to breath....take you time and do it right :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
can't remember the name of the outfit right now, but someone is making 3" stainless factory tips.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
can't remember the name of the outfit right now, but someone is making 3" stainless factory tips.

TTI makes the stainless factory tips....but is stamped TTI on them....really nice pieces

Back